SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Miami - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

54 minutes ago, #MACtion said:

8.    Dead Gophers
An old University of North Dakota tradition. Fans would take frozen, dead gophers (how they got them in is beyond us) and toss them onto the ice after goals when UND played the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Gophers are not the only dead animal to hit the ice at REA.  And in the old barn, once someone tossed out a live goose.  It was a while before the ref's restored order.

I see one or two more hiccups from this team, one being in that dreaded Target center probably. But I think this is a dangerous team when it's all on the line. They knew they had to win after last night and they controlled the game. 

I believe Oxbow will have a great time in Fargo at the regional and I will have a great time in Chicago!

But I'm a Sioux hockey optimist.:silly:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

It may be a statement but he's one of their best dmen.  He had a bad game last night but last weekend he was awesome.  He's a guy that has tone in the lineup barring injury or sickness.

He may be their best offensive d-man, but his defense is definitely a ? mark.

1 hour ago, 808287 said:

Gophers are not the only dead animal to hit the ice at REA.  And in the old barn, once someone tossed out a live goose.  It was a while before the ref's restored order.

Actually, badgers were much more difficult than gophers, but you did see some

• Upvote 1

Wilbur's final thoughts:

-Jost showed why he will play in the NHL.  He does all the little things so well.  That is how the game should be played.  Hope young players take notice.

-After the first period Peski was pretty good.  Coaches decided to play six d regardless most of the way through.  Hopefully Wolanin gets the wake up call.

-Watching JJ and Boeser on the same line is hilarious.  One guy going 1000 MPH running all over the rink, and the other kind of glides around and really only putting it into third or fourth gear when he absolutely needs to.  But they play well together.

-Poolman brothers a good pair, seems like Tucker tries to do too much to help out little brother at times.  One time tonight the puck got dumped into Colton's corner, he retrieved it looked over his shoulder to brace himself for the guy coming in to hit him, and then was awestruck to see that it was Tucker trying to get the puck.  Funny moment.

-Cam good in the net.  First shot went in (zero chance), and no goals after that.

-Should be celebrating a TCOS ala Hammer, guess lesson learned is to....wait for it.....wait for it....."Play a full 60"....IALTO 

3 hours ago, #MACtion said:

8.    Dead Gophers
An old University of North Dakota tradition. Fans would take frozen, dead gophers (how they got them in is beyond us) and toss them onto the ice after goals when UND played the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The band does more than play music with what is in those instrument cases.  :ohmy:

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I remember seeing dead badgers and gophers at the old Ralph, absolutely loved it when I was a kid.

Friend of mine was a badger chucker.  He came from a farm and would throw them in the freezer spread eagle when he found one.  They were easier to duck tape under his coat that way.   He got busted once but didn't get banned for some reason.   They knew him, though, and his courier days were over.  It was a lot easier to pull off at the old Ralph with the students filling the lower seats by the glass on one side.  Like a duck blind for chuckers.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, burd said:

Friend of mine was a badger chucker.  He came from a farm and would throw them in the freezer spread eagle when he found one.  They were easier to duck tape under his coat that way.   He got busted once but didn't get banned for some reason.   They knew him, though, and his courier days were over.  It was a lot easier to pull off at the old Ralph with the students filling the lower seats by the glass on one side.  Like a duck blind for chuckers.  

I used to always wonder how they got them in there. I now know thanks to reading these boards for the last few years.

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Wilbur's final thoughts:

-Jost showed why he will play in the NHL.  He does all the little things so well.  That is how the game should be played.  Hope young players take notice.

-After the first period Peski was pretty good.  Coaches decided to play six d regardless most of the way through.  Hopefully Wolanin gets the wake up call.

-Watching JJ and Boeser on the same line is hilarious.  One guy going 1000 MPH running all over the rink, and the other kind of glides around and really only putting it into third or fourth gear when he absolutely needs to.  But they play well together.

-Poolman brothers a good pair, seems like Tucker tries to do too much to help out little brother at times.  One time tonight the puck got dumped into Colton's corner, he retrieved it looked over his shoulder to brace himself for the guy coming in to hit him, and then was awestruck to see that it was Tucker trying to get the puck.  Funny moment.

-Cam good in the net.  First shot went in (zero chance), and no goals after that.

-Should be celebrating a TCOS ala Hammer, guess lesson learned is to....wait for it.....wait for it....."Play a full 60"....IALTO 

Really good stuff and I'll add a few thoughts:

-Olson looked good at center on 4th line in limited minutes.

-How Wilkie gets poweplay minutes is a question I'd like answered

-The 3rd line can match up defensively with any opposing line moving forward. Hoff and Bowen were great last night.

-Gersich really was tough to play against last night. Went into the dirty areas to make plays over and over.

-UND has to find a way to get solid shifts after they score. Goal 1 and give up a goal right away. Goal 2 seconds later Miami hits the crossbar.

-Boeser is a 100 foot player right now. That has to change.

-Gardner is the new LJ.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Really good stuff and I'll add a few thoughts:

-Olson looked good at center on 4th line in limited minutes.

-How Wilkie gets poweplay minutes is a question I'd like answered

-The 3rd line can match up defensively with any opposing line moving forward. Hoff and Bowen were great last night.

-Gersich really was tough to play against last night. Went into the dirty areas to make plays over and over.

-UND has to find a way to get solid shifts after they score. Goal 1 and give up a goal right away. Goal 2 seconds later Miami hits the crossbar.

-Boeser is a 100 foot player right now. That has to change.

-Gardner is the new LJ.

I would add that Bowen is really playing well.  His speed and hustle are really contributing.  Jost is the obvious big talent on the ice, but this freshman class is showing up to play, IMO.   

10 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I see one or two more hiccups from this team, one being in that dreaded Target center probably. But I think this is a dangerous team when it's all on the line. They knew they had to win after last night and they controlled the game. 

I believe Oxbow will have a great time in Fargo at the regional and I will have a great time in Chicago!

But I'm a Sioux hockey optimist.:silly:

tumblr_mlw7xtU0wD1qb4tlyo1_400.gif

SILENCE! Optimism will NOT be tolerated!

However, that MSU weekend gets worse and worse with each Spartan loss.  Pairwise KILLER.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I used to always wonder how they got them in there. I now know thanks to reading these boards for the last few years.

Gloves were a good spot to bring in frozen Gophers.   "Someone I know" got patted down regularly: waist, jacket, hip pockets and even boots, but somehow the gloves were never checked.  

Another guy I know brought in a goose in the back of his bib overalls.   Was frisked on his jacket pockets and hip pockets but not his back.    

The other thing that made tossing Gophers easy back in the day was that the glass was so low.   A real throwing motion was hardly necessary ... could just be part of the motion to rise up and celebrate a goal. :)

(Low plexiglass made it way easier to give officials advice too.)

45 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

SILENCE! Optimism will NOT be tolerated!

However, that MSU weekend gets worse and worse with each Spartan loss.  Pairwise KILLER.

I ve seen enough to have this optimism. This MSU series might make them a 2-3 seed instead of a 1-2....Who cares?

That series must keep you awake at night! You should put that...Beat a dead horse gif up again. :)

Just let it go man...No matter how many times you bitch about it, it won't change a thing...;)

This is not a dominant team- unlikely to win any conference hardware...however, this team is very capable of beating anybody on a given night.  

This is a year where the theme needs to be "get in" then win 4 games.  

Could easily parallel UMD's national title team with this one or DU's second title team in their b2b.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Don't bring math into this and rain on some who bask in the glow of rainbows and ride gleefully on unicorns. Who do you think you are? Jim Dahl???

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Gloves were a good spot to bring in frozen Gophers.   "Someone I know" got patted down regularly: waist, jacket, hip pockets and even boots, but somehow the gloves were never checked.  

Another guy I know brought in a goose in the back of his bib overalls.   Was frisked on his jacket pockets and hip pockets but not his back.    

The other thing that made tossing Gophers easy back in the day was that the glass was so low.   A real throwing motion was hardly necessary ... could just be part of the motion to rise up and celebrate a goal. :)

(Low plexiglass made it way easier to give officials advice too.)

I especially recall one gopher toss (sometime in 90 or 91), when somebody lobbed it out there and it made a nice long, slow, bloody slide toward the goalie before stopping about 8 feet in front of him.  It was like it got quiet until it stopped, then the place exploded.   Everybody was packed in at the Old Ralph, and it was pretty intense, as most here remember.  Even in 1990, which was obviously not a banner year, though they had some serious offensive talent. 

• Upvote 2