SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-4) @ Iowa (6-5) 12/20 8PM

SWSiouxMN

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

As much as Iowa's coach overreacted, Jones' history of undisciplined teams should also factor into. Without question, in my eyes, UND men's basketball will be successful at the DI level only if Brian Jones is removed and replaced with competency. 

I agree. This team has talent but plays foolishly in stretches. How does a D-I basketball team have eight turnovers in a ten possession stretch like UND did last night? 

There doesn't look to be a standout team in the Big Sky so this year is a huge opportunity for UND. Sadly, I don't think this coaching staff has what it takes to take advantage.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

As much as Iowa's coach overreacted, Jones' history of undisciplined teams should also factor into this. Without question, in my eyes, UND men's basketball will be successful at the DI level only if Brian Jones is removed and replaced with competency. 

I couldn't agree more. A Jones coached team will be undisciplined and play foolishly at times. Just watch all the one handed passes Crandel does when they are not needed. He passes one handed from the top of the key to the wing every time. A competent coach would have him sitting right next to him until he learned to do it right. I think we have all seen what a Jones coached team will look like, UNDISCIPLINED.

My point was that the Iowa coach is a tool. That is a cold hard fact.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Baldwin running up to the guy and ripping it out of his hands with two seconds left, down 11, is bush league and stupid.  If there was 20 secs left I would understand.  

Yes, clearly a reason to take your team directly to the locker room.  

Its apparently against basketball etiquette so is forcing up a shot when your up double digits.  One could say !@#$ if your doing it I will too. 

6 minutes ago, homer said:

Yes, clearly a reason to take your team directly to the locker room.  

Its apparently against basketball etiquette so is forcing up a shot when your up double digits.  One could say !@#$ if your doing it I will too. 

Agree to disagree I guess.  I never said anything about Fran taking his team to the locker room.  My point was after the technical, and after UND fouling with 12 secs left (after trying to steal it for 6 secs), the absolute last thing that needed to happen was for Baldwin to do that.  

What Baldwin did should never happen, ever.  Anyone who has ever played the game knows not to do that, which is why you saw the reactions from Jones and their players when he was doing it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, homer said:

After watching the highlight again, the shot clock was off when Iowa shot the ball at the end.  I may be incorrect there but what you are saying is its ok to try and score up 10 but not ok to try and score down 10.

Iowa didn't take a shot in the last 1:30 of the game.  Not sure what you are referring to.  

Seems like we've a number of these incidents over the years.  "Undisciplined" can be lots of things-like the antics at the end the last two games.  But discipline can also be playing relentless team defense, protecting the ball, avoiding silly fouls, etc., etc.     Not exactly a hallmark of Jones' teams.  Yes, the transition years were a mess.  But he's been here how long?  Several recruiting classes and lots of opportunity to instill a disciplined approach to improvement.  (Think Bubba)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, homer said:

I don't defend Jones as a coach to this point but this is one that I cannot pin on him.  I have no problem with our guys competing.  A lot of times in that situation you will see the defensive team clear the ball out of traffic before holding onto it, not standing in the lane 5 feet under the hoop.

In regards to the physical play during the game there was enough to go both ways.  Hell, their coach even acknowledged it was the type of play they will see during Big Ten play so why do you suddenly have a problem with it.  Now I do think UND needs to control it a little bit but if there is one thing we have been lacking the last few years it has been physical play and have gotten beat up by Weber and Montana.  They all have been more physical than us down low and have had physical guards that have given us some fits. 

The B1G well have scrappier games than this.  McCaffery shouldn't of walked off and apperently apologized. That changes things alot vs. him continuing a rage over this. There was no foul called. So we get over this.

This game was different in a way to our players, and not yet mentioned here. UND playing Iowa? No big deal to Iowa, big deal to us. Our guys might of taught is was important close to the end, if we're going to loose, loose by less. We don't get these games often?

I give UND a lot of credit, enjoyed watching it.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

What our guy did was dumb. Just let the clock run out, we lost. It would be totally different if we still had a chance.

Why was Iowa still playing defense if the game was over? Yes, I get what your saying but if the game was "over" then both teams should have been standing there with a thumb up their butts until the buzzer.....dumb.

27 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

Why was Iowa still playing defense if the game was over? Yes, I get what your saying but if the game was "over" then both teams should have been standing there with a thumb up their butts until the buzzer.....dumb.

On Iowa's last possession. That's  all I'm talking about. The clock was running. Everyone except our one guy had conceded defeat. It's just something you don't do.

Iowa quit playing with 4 seconds left.    Someone in the media said normally a team will do that once they have went down court.  Iowa did that under the opponents basket and that would possibly justify to a degree a UND player still going for the ball with 4 seconds left.    Baldwin didn't need to go for the ball but the situation is  blown way  out of proportion.   Definitely not a good day for the Iowa coach.

31 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I think it's pretty fair to not find anyone involved in this mess in the right on this. It wasn't smart to steal that ball the way he did, and it was dumb of their coach to do what he did. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I agree with this.  However, not shaking hands looks much worse than stealing the ball with 3 seconds left down 11.  Had McCaffrey and the rest of the Iowa team just shook hands after the game like normal, I doubt anyone woule be talking about Balwin stealing the ball.

I have seen multiple media reports on the incident and almost unanimously the  Iowa coach has been  criticized for what ended up happening.  He obviously has a short fuse and can not control his actions.   Decision making in tense situations is not one of his strengths.  Not a good character trait for a Big 10 coach.

9 hours ago, Risky said:

I have seen multiple media reports on the incident and almost unanimously the  Iowa coach has been  criticized for what ended up happening.  He obviously has a short fuse and can not control his actions.   Decision making in tense situations is not one of his strengths.  Not a good character trait for a Big 10 coach.

A coworker of mine is a big Ohio State fan, he said that Iowa coach is known for being a hot head. I see nothing wrong with what UND did. Most players dribble to half court and by that time the game is done, aren't you supposed to play until there is a whistle (or in this case final buzzer)? Not shaking hands was just being a baby, you won who cares if we stole the ball and tried to score (which it should have counted), shake hands and leave. You think Iowa will agree to another matchup, or wait another 50 years?

17 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I agree with this.  However, not shaking hands looks much worse than stealing the ball with 3 seconds left down 11.  Had McCaffrey and the rest of the Iowa team just shook hands after the game like normal, I doubt anyone woule be talking about Balwin stealing the ball.

Fair... I also think there's a difference as one is a college student vs a tenured coach. One of those positions should have more of a sense of responsibility. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

A coworker of mine is a big Ohio State fan, he said that Iowa coach is known for being a hot head. I see nothing wrong with what UND did. Most players dribble to half court and by that time the game is done, aren't you supposed to play until there is a whistle (or in this case final buzzer)? Not shaking hands was just being a baby, you won who cares if we stole the ball and tried to score (which it should have counted), shake hands and leave. You think Iowa will agree to another matchup, or wait another 50 years?

If Gene Taylor has anything to do with it, you know the answer.

• Upvote 1