SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-4) @ Iowa (6-5) 12/20 8PM

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Iowa coach says the kid (Baldwin???) did it three times.  What the hell does he mean?  

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-beats-north-dakota-x2014-but-with-a-bizarre-ending-20161220

Fran seems like a real treat. Maybe just a little bit of overreaction on his part, though from his comments, maybe its common. The anger on the technical on Hooker really confuses me. Yes Q baited him and sold it, but the guy caught him straight across the face, which is why they called it even after reviewing it. You can't make contact to the head, intentional or not, period (despite what the refs at UNI think....)

McCaffery said it’s not the first time he’s skipped a handshake line, either.

“I will say this: I have a lot of respect for Brian and certainly Jeff Horner. I don’t think they teach that kind of stuff, but I was not having it. That’s not the way to play,” McCaffery said. “The game’s over. We don’t need Pete getting knocked to the floor. We don’t need guys getting up in Jordan’s face. We don’t need Nicholas Baer’s head getting chopped off. We don’t need it. We won.

“The last time I did this, that’s exactly what it was. I took my whole team in the locker room. I didn’t do that this time. I was disappointed in what happened. Like I said, I’m sure that Brian does not teach that. The kid — when it happens three times, that’s disappointing

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Fran seems like a real treat. Maybe just a little bit of overreaction on his part, though from his comments, maybe its common. The anger on the technical on Hooker really confuses me. Yes Q baited him and sold it, but the guy caught him straight across the face, which is why they called it even after reviewing it. You can't make contact to the head, intentional or not, period (despite what the refs at UNI think....)

So Fran admits he's done it before and he was wrong and texted to apologize to Jones?

Sounds like the guy doesn't learn...

Also, there was fault on UND's end too but from players is different, if you're a coach don't walk off the floor like a baby.

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So Fran admits he's done it before and he was wrong and texted to apologize to Jones?

Sounds like the guy doesn't learn...

Also, there was fault on UND's end too but from players is different, if you're a coach don't walk off the floor like a baby.

I don't think what Baldwin did was necessary but I'm not going to jump all over him for it (unless you had money on the game) The whole thing is a non-story and just part of the game if Fran doesn't react the way he did, and its never talked about. However the ESPN story did say he regretted it.

McCaffery told ESPN's Jeff Goodman on Wednesday morning that he regretted what happened after the game and that he texted an apology to Jones afterward.

"I feel bad about it. I have a lot of respect for Brian Jones," McCaffery told ESPN. "I wish it didn't happen. I wish I shook hands.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think what Baldwin did was necessary but I'm not going to jump all over him for it (unless you had money on the game) The whole thing is a non-story and just part of the game if Fran doesn't react the way he did, and its never talked about. However the ESPN story did say he regretted it.

Had a buddy with money on Iowa -11 and he just about had a heart attack at the end of the game.

That's what he gets though for betting against UND :lol:

I don't defend Jones as a coach to this point but this is one that I cannot pin on him.  I have no problem with our guys competing.  A lot of times in that situation you will see the defensive team clear the ball out of traffic before holding onto it, not standing in the lane 5 feet under the hoop.

In regards to the physical play during the game there was enough to go both ways.  Hell, their coach even acknowledged it was the type of play they will see during Big Ten play so why do you suddenly have a problem with it.  Now I do think UND needs to control it a little bit but if there is one thing we have been lacking the last few years it has been physical play and have gotten beat up by Weber and Montana.  They all have been more physical than us down low and have had physical guards that have given us some fits. 

• Upvote 2

This is the same guy who defended his player after poking three players in the eye. I hope the Gophers curbstomb Iowa twice this year.

we can debate on baldwins intent (yes you play to the whistle but iowas coach didn't have to react like that and his reasoning in the presser was silly.

with that said, once again Avants stepped up and had a great game.  UND is getting closer to having their answer at 5 spot and having a complete starting lineup.

Big Sky play awaits, with the soft start to it there is no reason why they can't start it 4-0 going into the difficult Montana swing.

24 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What our guy did was dumb. Just let the clock run out, we lost. It would be totally different if we still had a chance.

After watching the highlight again, the shot clock was off when Iowa shot the ball at the end.  I may be incorrect there but what you are saying is its ok to try and score up 10 but not ok to try and score down 10.

I will be watching for Iowa's reaction in games from this point forward when the "Games Over"!    If you're down by 10 with 30 seconds to go coach and still playing physical it will stand out quite a bit in contrast to your comments. 

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

The NDSU incident last week......now this situation with Iowa last night.  Who is in charge of this program? Your answer is why this crap keeps happening.

Are you going down the Lucia road of why do these things always happen when North Dakota is involved?

8 minutes ago, homer said:

After watching the highlight again, the shot clock was off when Iowa shot the ball at the end.  I may be incorrect there but what you are saying is its ok to try and score up 10 but not ok to try and score down 10.

Baldwin running up to the guy and ripping it out of his hands with two seconds left, down 11, is bush league and stupid.  If there was 20 secs left I would understand.  

• Upvote 2

On Sports Center this morning one guy said that the Iowa coach should be embarrassed and ashamed for walking off the floor.  What a terrible example he set for coaches and players. He also said he was a disgrace.  Quite harsh words.  It was an exaggerated reaction by the coach.  Totally unnecessary.  He could of said something to Baldwin in the handshake line and left it at that.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Late game and post game ugly theatrics are becoming too common this year. At some point the UND team needs to look at itself and say "maybe it's me."

Fights at end of ndsu game, Iowa refusing to shake hands, sdsu and usd refusing to schedule us. It may end up being more than our record pushing Jones out. 

Amen 

I am not a Jones fan, but McCaffrey is an even bigger cry baby than Jones. He always costs his team at least one Victory a season with a multiple technical game. The players were stupid in stealing the ball but McCaffrey way over reacted. Watch Iowa this season and you will come to the same conclusion I have, their coach is a dumb ass.

7 hours ago, darell1976 said:

As much as Iowa's coach overreacted, Jones' history of undisciplined teams should also factor into this. Without question, in my eyes, UND men's basketball will be successful at the DI level only if Brian Jones is removed and replaced with competency. 

• Upvote 2