SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. WMU - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

One step forward and two steps back. I would assume that if there is anything that keeps the coaches awake at night it has to be that god awful power play. If UND can't score on one five minute pp let alone two we just don't deserve to win the game. Our D were having a heck of a time keeping the puck in the zone. Credit to WMU but this was a game UND needed to win and should win. I sure hope the team can turn things around in the second half or it's going to be a painful second half to watch. 

34 minutes ago, keikla said:

The thing that amazes me about the power play is that Matt Shaw is in charge of it.  He ran power plays IN THE NHL, and his teams were consistently in the top 5 for success rates.  I get the difficulty of having certain players out, but even with them in, the power play hasn't been anything to write home about.  So, what gives?  

I was thinking the same thing last night.  I'm sure Shaw is feeling tons of pressure after yesterday's fiasco.  It's just one game, but UND's PP has not been good this year generally.

9 hours ago, UNDHawks4life said:

Hopefully they take this time off to work in the powerplay. When you are 6 on 4 and cant gain the zone, you have some problems.

I've seen UND not get out of their zone when the other team pulls the goalie to make it a 5x5 when UND is on the PP. 

It's a game.  Played by kids.  They may make the tourney, they may not.  But they will do their level best, and I'm going to enjoy the game and their effort whether they get there or not.  And that's not settling for less; it's just recognizing what a good game this is and how fortunate we are to have this team to cheer for.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

And,

Its "free" career development played by young adults, coached by a $500,000+ annual staff.

True as well, Cratter--there is that side of it.  But the part of college hockey which makes it special to me is not that part.  

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

And,

Its "free" career development played by young adults, coached by a $500,000+ annual staff.

... but I thought if we won a National Championship we could have several down years and it would be all right because we just needed to win like Duluth did.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

... but I thought if we won a National Championship we could have several down years and it would be all right because we just needed to win like Duluth did.

I don't think we are at the beginning of a long-term down period for this program. Just too many young guys and not enough established players.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't think we are at the beginning of a long-term down period for this program. Just too many young guys and not enough established players.

I confess to be more worried than you - it seems to me that we have a lot of passengers on this team.  Other than Jost, Boesser, and Gersich I don't see a ton of talent on the last two huge classes.  When the studs leave after this year who do you see as stepping up?

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

I confess to be more worried than you - it seems to me that we have a lot of passengers on this team.  Other than Jost, Boesser, and Gersich I don't see a ton of talent on the last two huge classes.  When the studs leave after this year who do you see as stepping up?

If we win the second game against Western Michigan and score another 5 goals, the outlook is a lot different.  Who was perceived to be our best line after the CBS line last year?  Gardner, Poganski and Johnson.  Two of those guys could still be here next year, along with Jost, Gersich, and newcomers in Mismash, Adams and Kawaguchi.  Not many freshmen have the success Boeser and Jost had/have.  You mention Gersich, well he has made a huge step from last year to this year.  Others certainly could make a jump as well.  

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, tnt said:

If we win the second game against Western Michigan and score another 5 goals, the outlook is a lot different.  Who was perceived to be our best line after the CBS line last year?  Gardner, Poganski and Johnson.  Two of those guys could still be here next year, along with Jost, Gersich, and newcomers in Mismash, Adams and Kawaguchi.  Not many freshmen have the success Boeser and Jost had/have.  You mention Gersich, well he has made a huge step from last year to this year.  Others certainly could make a jump as well.  

We may have scored 5 Friday, but several of those goals would not be in the net most games.   Most nights, we are not 4 goals better than that team.  

25 minutes ago, burd said:

We may have scored 5 Friday, but several of those goals would not be in the net most games.   Most nights, we are not 4 goals better than that team.  

I actually thought we could have score more on Friday and we didn't even have Boeser.

Friday was not a fluke, this team can play... when they put their minds to it. That last part has been the problem lately.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

If certain others would make that kind of jump, ND would be just fine.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2016 at 9:23 PM, cberkas said:

Cam stays up and doesn't lean forward he gets the save.

Cam needs to go back to goalie 101. I can slide from post to post and square up to a shot better than him and I'm almost 40 and only play goalie once in a blue moon.  If the other team knew all they had to do is shoot top corners we'd never win a game. He stops the hard ones. Break always, screens. Gets beat by the easy ones. 

• Downvote 8

2 hours ago, Sioux Hawky said:

Cam needs to go back to goalie 101. I can slide from post to post and square up to a shot better than him and I'm almost 40 and only play goalie once in a blue moon.  If the other team knew all they had to do is shoot top corners we'd never win a game. He stops the hard ones. Break always, screens. Gets beat by the easy ones. 

Wow!  You must be really good....

• Upvote 1