SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. WMU - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yes.  This 1000x over.
Our special teams is ridiculously bad.  WMU was essentially trying to give UND the game tonight with all those penalties. 

Just have the coaches watch some PP film from SCSU or UMN or something...they seem to always have good PP.

I've been saying this for years, just copy the teams that have an effective PP. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yes.  This 1000x over.
Our special teams is ridiculously bad.  WMU was essentially trying to give UND the game tonight with all those penalties. 

Just have the coaches watch some PP film from SCSU or UMN or something...they seem to always have good PP.

As much as I don't care for Minnesota, their PP works and has a lot of movement to get someone open.

I think Wilkie has officially entered the Murphy category. Simo just needs to sit if UND ever gets a full squad to pick from. Watching last night.....where is the on ice leadership? Boo-Berry can only do so much but that PP was absolutely dismal. I thought Gornall had some nice shifts. Bottom line, as was evident without the 2 first rounders, this squad lack offensive talent minus 19 and 14. Gardner will be showing up on a milk carton near you soon. 

10 hours ago, keikla said:

I get that the team is missing three PP guys...Boeser, Jost, and Shaw.  But the fact that Olson, who averages one goal every two years, is on the power play, is a prime example of why it's struggling.  I get being a screen, but pick a screen who scores.  That being said, the issues with the PP extend far beyond personnel choices.  How many times did the D fail to hold the line on what should have been a relatively easy hold?  How many times did the team get stood up at the line and couldn't even get into the zone?  12 minutes of near consecutive PP, and it gets pissed away.

Very true.  Many folks are calling out the talent, and I don't buy that.  All these boys were very good junior players.....they are all just used to guys like jost and boeser bailing them out. Yesterday's problem was a lack of effort (both mental and physical). Super tough game to watch.  When a team is resorting to throwing the puck to the net blindly from the corners of the ozone (on the power play), they have no confidence. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

On the PP, you identify/create a 2x1, then if you beat someone man to man, you create a 3x1, thats when you should score every time...our guys are playing their position and not supporting nor creating.  The game is fluid, on the PP you just have to play pond hockey.

Great post.  We are missing this concept completely.  We are playing like their is way less time than there actually is. Panicking and simply throwing a bad angle shot on net praying for a tip.  Those shots are ok in many cases but when there's a back door pass open (creating odd man opportunities), u don't throw it blindly on net.

12 hours ago, keikla said:

I get that the team is missing three PP guys...Boeser, Jost, and Shaw.  But the fact that Olson, who averages one goal every two years, is on the power play, is a prime example of why it's struggling.  I get being a screen, but pick a screen who scores.  That being said, the issues with the PP extend far beyond personnel choices.  How many times did the D fail to hold the line on what should have been a relatively easy hold?  How many times did the team get stood up at the line and couldn't even get into the zone?  12 minutes of near consecutive PP, and it gets pissed away.

It was 12:35 seconds of power play. That's crazy. 

19 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

I'm starting to cringe when we get a power play, especially a 5 minuter......momentum almost always swings the other way when you don't score. 

It speaks volumes that you pull your goalie and opt for a 6-on-4 - you obviously have ZERO confidence in your ability to score a goal 1 man up so you think you need 2.  

If UND had spent that entire 12+ minutes on a 6-on-4 AND Murray pulled his goalie, UND could have easily potted a goal or two.  :lol:

10 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So, does anyone think Berry will be on the phone with Josh Fenton asking for additional sanctions on Fleming? My God, two 5 minute majors in one game and leads the league in penalties?! The guy plays reckless.

He should be suspended. 

8 minutes ago, Goon said:

He should be suspended. 

Absolutely, the guys a clown. WMU grabbed, hooked, interfered and obstructed more than any team I can ever remember watching. They were really little things they did that made huge differences, was like watching the WCHA in the 90s. And the refs let them get away with it most of the game.

That being said, we had more than enough chances to win and we completely blew it.

On that last pp there was a moment where UND actually had a flurry, the goalie was out of position and a partially wide open net was available and a puck was lying about 6 feet in front of 24 and he just stood there against the wall looking at the puck like a 6 year old who doesn't know what to do.

32 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Is anyone else a little disappointed  in our captain? Seems to coast back for pucks and then has to  make a play with a person on him. If he were to hustle ala that second goal might have not happened. Lead by example.

Actually thought Gage had one of his better games last night, had a couple good offensive rushes and made some plays to relieve pressure in the d zone. 

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Absolutely, the guys a clown. WMU grabbed, hooked, interfered and obstructed more than any team I can ever remember watching. They were really little things they did that made huge differences, was like watching the WCHA in the 90s. And the refs let them get away with it most of the game.

That being said, we had more than enough chances to win and we completely blew it.

Agreed. I started to really watch each puck battle and they were constantly grabbing.