SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UMD

AZSIOUX

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Outside of Boeser Tucker was the second best player on the ice Friday. With Peski not playing the last 35 minutes of the game Friday someone had to be "running all over the ice" during his benching.

Poolman is dynamic.....can create offense by himself. Is 23 years old in his junior year.  He was still running all over the ice game one.  Let's not turn this around as me bashing Pooman.....guy is one of my faves.  But he was still all over the place.  The point is....that mocking freshmen (repeatedly) for playing like freshman is odd.  Especially this early in the season.  If it was one post...i probably wouldn't have commented.   But repeatedly bashing the kid and calling out his mistakes on the web is aggressive.  Everyone watching the game could see he struggled Friday.  I was there, believe me I was cussing too.   If he's still doing this in two years I'll agree with you.

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Poolman is dynamic.....can create offense by himself. Is 23 years old in his junior year.  He was still running all over the ice game one.  Let's not turn this around as me bashing Pooman.....guy is one of my faves.  But he was still all over the place.  The point is....that mocking freshmen (repeatedly) for playing like freshman is odd.  Especially this early in the season.  If it was one post...i probably wouldn't have commented.   But repeatedly bashing the kid and calling out his mistakes on the web is aggressive.  Everyone watching the game could see he struggled Friday.  I was there, believe me I was cussing too.   If he's still doing this in two years I'll agree with you.

Nobody has been calling out freshman repeatedly ... there hasn't even been time for that. Stating what you see in a game isn't calling someone out as a whipping boy. A player makes a mistake, A fan notices it .... this is a flippin message board, we're here to talk about the team and the games.

Calling out some turnovers or mistakes is a far cry from starting a Fire Hak, Boo Berry, or similar thread against a specific player. I don't recall reading anywhere that were were only supposed to post compliments and warm fuzzies on here.

You're taking a few simple statements and turning it into people completely bashing freshman. What wrong with discussing the ups AND DOWNS that we saw over the weekend? When someone starts a "Bench Peski" thread or something to that effect, especially after a few games, I'll totally agree with you, but we haven't seen anything even remotely close to that on here.

• Upvote 3

There's usually a huge learning curve for freshman, especially on defense. 1/2 of UND's D-core this past weekend were freshman. It'll take them some time to adjust. Not making excuses, that's just the way it is. I think Colton has played pretty well thru 5 games and Casey seems to be picking it up the last couple as well. Outside of the freshman, I've been really encouraged by Shaw's play, Ausmus has struggled, but we know he's rock solid. The defensive unit will improve this year, that's a guarantee.

IMO, I'll take this years forwards over last years. Again, they are young, so it'll take some time to gel, but I think they are much deeper than last year.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Nobody has been calling out freshman repeatedly ... there hasn't even been time for that. Stating what you see in a game isn't calling someone out as a whipping boy. A player makes a mistake, A fan notices it .... this is a flippin message board, we're here to talk about the team and the games.

Calling out some turnovers or mistakes is a far cry from starting a Fire Hak, Boo Berry, or similar thread against a specific player. I don't recall reading anywhere that were were only supposed to post compliments and warm fuzzies on here.

You're taking a few simple statements and turning it into people completely bashing freshman. What wrong with discussing the ups AND DOWNS that we saw over the weekend? When someone starts a "Bench Peski" thread or something to that effect, especially after a few games, I'll totally agree with you, but we haven't seen anything even remotely close to that on here.

Go backwards through all the posts.  Look at the BSU gameday posts.  I'm not calling you out specifically.  I'm out.

#1 versus #2!!  Should be heck of a good series (as if it already wasn't going to be already).  This just adds to the excitement!  (also, first time since 2008 that #1 has played #2 in a regular season series).

USCHO.com Division I Men's Poll

October 24, 2016

Team (First Place Votes) Record Points Last Poll
1 North Dakota (50) 5- 0-0 1000 1
2 Minnesota-Duluth   3- 1-2 905 2
3 Denver   4- 2-0 845 6
4 Boston University   3- 2-0 785 8
5 Massachusetts-Lowell   3- 1-2 746 5
6 Quinnipiac   3- 2-1 725 4
7 Notre Dame   3- 2-1 686 3
8 Boston College   4- 2-0 641 10
9 Minnesota State   5- 1-0 605 9
10 St. Cloud State   2- 2-0 499 14
11 Michigan   3- 1-1 484 11
12 Minnesota   2- 2-0 412 7
13 Harvard   0- 0-0 374 13
14 Providence   2- 2-1 320 15
15 Ohio State   3- 0-2 302 19
16 Northeastern   3- 1-2 254 17
17 Yale   0- 0-0 207 16
18 St. Lawrence   3- 3-0 173 12
19 Penn State   3- 1-1 129 NR
20 Bemidji State   4- 2-0 122 18
Others receiving votes: Western Michigan 73, Miami 69, Lake Superior 44, Clarkson 33, Cornell 15, Air Force 12, Maine 9, Omaha 9, Union 8, Wisconsin 6, Connecticut 3, Vermont 3, Dartmouth 1, Michigan Tech 1.

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Go backwards through all the posts.  Look at the BSU gameday posts.  I'm not calling you out specifically.  I'm out.

Got it, I wasn't on the threads much this weekend. Thought a lot of this was from 1 comment I had on Peski. Oh well. On to Duluth!!! Maybe a repeat of last season! :)

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Joe "The Pylon" Finley and Brian "I can't hold the zone on the power play" Lee earned most of the criticism they got.

No one deserves the amount of criticism those two have gotten. It has actually gotten to the point where it has become a parody of itself.

Brian looks like a pre-schooler when his helmet would fall off and he played the part to. I think that kids was just terrified he might take a fist to the face. Rest of the team would be brawlin and he would just lock up with a guy and skate backwards.

Finley, was just too slow. I remember him getting torched against Denver. Not that you can expect a guy that big be very fast. For as big as he was, I think it was presumed he would have been a little more of an enforcer. He just like to grab guys by the should pads and try to shake them to the ground. Kind of funny in retrospect, but i suppose if he had ever thrown a punch he may have killed someone.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

There's usually a huge learning curve for freshman, especially on defense. 1/2 of UND's D-core this past weekend were freshman. It'll take them some time to adjust. Not making excuses, that's just the way it is. I think Colton has played pretty well thru 5 games and Casey seems to be picking it up the last couple as well. Outside of the freshman, I've been really encouraged by Shaw's play, Ausmus has struggled, but we know he's rock solid. The defensive unit will improve this year, that's a guarantee.

IMO, I'll take this years forwards over last years. Again, they are young, so it'll take some time to gel, but I think they are much deeper than last year.

Really? Hmmm. I think Cag and Nick may disagree, but fair enough.

11 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Finley, was just too slow. I remember him getting torched against Denver. Not that you can expect a guy that big be very fast. For as big as he was, I think it was presumed he would have been a little more of an enforcer. He just like to grab guys by the should pads and try to shake them to the ground. Kind of funny in retrospect, but i suppose if he had ever thrown a punch he may have killed someone.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

There appears to be more spread out scoring thus far. Guess it depends what you prefer. I liked last year's forward group also, but outsiders did call us top heavy for a reason. 

Top as in the top 2 lines and 2 sets of scoring defensemen? I guess lol.

EDIT: The discussion was on forwards, so my d-man comment was irrelevant.

Regardless... I like what we're doing so far, this year.

44 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Joe "The Pylon" Finley and Brian "I can't hold the zone on the power play" Lee earned most of the criticism they got.

Yeah, because just like Dave Hakstol, Lee was good enough for pro hockey but wasn't equipped to handle college hockey.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Top as in the top 2 lines and 2 sets of scoring defensemen? I guess lol.

EDIT: The discussion was on forwards, so my d-man comment was irrelevant.

Regardless... I like what we're doing so far, this year.

Outsiders thought we were a one line team. That's what I meant by top heavy.  Obviously we all know about the Heavy line, and the D core, and their offensive contributions, outsiders not so much. 

But like I said, it depends if you prefer a dominant top line over spread out scoring in terms of if you prefer this year's forwards over last's. 

Personally I'd like a dominant top line and spread out scoring. And a brick wall in net. Haha. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, because just like Dave Hakstol, Lee was good enough for pro hockey but wasn't equipped to handle college hockey.

Lee didn't have a long, successful NHL career like Oshie and Toews have had. I recall him bouncing between the AHL and NHL quite often.

As for Finley, his struggles helped change our recruiting philosophy for defensemen. We switched to more mobile defensemen who could move more easily and contribute on the offensive end. You saw how valuable that was last year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Any chance, Fox College Sports, Fox Sports North or Fox Sport North Plus picks up this series? A No.1 vs No.2 series, I would think that would be worth of TV.

Fox North has advertised Friday's game

46 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

No one deserves the amount of criticism those two have gotten. It has actually gotten to the point where it has become a parody of itself.

Lee never seemed happy in college; perhaps he didn't like the academics. Finley was big and physical, but just didn't have the quickness to counter the speedy, skilled forwards that other teams had. Nothing against either of them as people, but they just had some major flaws as players.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

This is a bold statement but it could happen.  Jost is a very good addition to help offset the loss of Nick S.  Can Gersich cover the lost production of Caggs?  Maybe not. The real key is do we get bigger production #'s out of returners Pogo, Wilkie, and the Flying Finn and decent scoring from Fr. Yon and Hoff?  

4 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

This is a bold statement but it could happen.  Jost is a very good addition to help offset the loss of Nick S.  Can Gersich cover the lost production of Caggs?  Maybe not. The real key is do we get bigger production #'s out of returners Pogo, Wilkie, and the Flying Finn and decent scoring from Fr. Yon and Hoff?  

Pogo, Joel, Yon and Hoff, yes...... From what I've seen I'm not gonna expect to much out of Wilkie other then being a 4th liner IMO. I love the way Hoff is playing, reminds me of a Pattyn with more of a scoring touch

• Upvote 1