SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UMD

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

This is a bold statement but it could happen.  Jost is a very good addition to help offset the loss of Nick S.  Can Gersich cover the lost production of Caggs?  Maybe not. The real key is do we get bigger production #'s out of returners Pogo, Wilkie, and the Flying Finn and decent scoring from Fr. Yon and Hoff?  

I'll save you the suspense, Gersich will not cover the lost production of 25g - 26a that Cag had in his senior year.

One of the better senior seasons in UND hockey history as far as production and clutch plays when we needed it. (Looking at you Michigan, Denver, and Quinnipiac games)

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

This is a bold statement but it could happen.  Jost is a very good addition to help offset the loss of Nick S.  Can Gersich cover the lost production of Caggs?  Maybe not. The real key is do we get bigger production #'s out of returners Pogo, Wilkie, and the Flying Finn and decent scoring from Fr. Yon and Hoff?  

Will the 1st line be as dominant as the CBS line? No, but I also don't think it's a completely lopsided argument either. I do think UND's first line can be dominant in its own right. My argument would be although the 1st line won't be the same, I'd take this years version of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines over last years. It's early and I'd like to see a couple more series before I'd put any money on it, but the Freshman forwards have been a positive surprise. Especially Hoff, Yon, Bowen.

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'll save you the suspense, Gersich will not cover the lost production of 25g - 26a that Cag had in his senior year.

One of the better senior seasons in UND hockey history as far as production and clutch plays when we needed it. (Looking at you Michigan, Denver, and Quinnipiac games)

And it shouldn't be up to Gersich alone to cover what was lost. He will easily surpass his point totals from last season. I like his contributions thus far.

35 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Lee didn't have a long, successful NHL career like Oshie and Toews have had. I recall him bouncing between the AHL and NHL quite often.

As for Finley, his struggles helped change our recruiting philosophy for defensemen. We switched to more mobile defensemen who could move more easily and contribute on the offensive end. You saw how valuable that was last year.

I think Nathan Gerbe and BC had more to do with us starting to recruit mobility, but Fins probably had his share of it.

• Upvote 1

All this rehashing of Joe Finley's time here, has reminded me of the time he attended my cousins' wedding. He flat out asked my father if him and my brother were gay together, he of course used the f-word term, he berated the brother of the bride all night, calling him gay and asking him what he was going to do about it, took off his shirt and implied anyone who looked at him was gay, and passed out at a table, alone, to the relief of everyone at the dance. In my mind, Joe Finley, a skating pylon, a worse drunk.

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

Will the 1st line be as dominant as the CBS line? No, but I also don't think it's a completely lopsided argument either. I do think UND's first line can be dominant in its own right. My argument would be although the 1st line won't be the same, I'd take this years version of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines over last years. It's early and I'd like to see a couple more series before I'd put any money on it, but the Freshman forwards have been a positive surprise. Especially Hoff, Yon, Bowen.

I'd take last year's 2nd line, for now, but three and four, absolutely seem to be more rounded out.

38 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I will restate my post and say simply this:  1st line scoring will be down compared to last year (Caggs production will not be covered) so lines 2, 3 and 4 will have to score more.

44 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Pogo, Joel, Yon and Hoff, yes...... From what I've seen I'm not gonna expect to much out of Wilkie other then being a 4th liner IMO. I love the way Hoff is playing, reminds me of a Pattyn with more of a scoring touch

15 minutes ago, TinScott said:

All this rehashing of Joe Finley's time here, has reminded me of the time he attended my cousins' wedding. He flat out asked my father if him and my brother were gay together, he of course used the f-word term, he berated the brother of the bride all night, calling him gay and asking him what he was going to do about it, took off his shirt and implied anyone who looked at him was gay, and passed out at a table, alone, to the relief of everyone at the dance. In my mind, Joe Finley, a skating pylon, a worse drunk.

Sounds like Joe was fighting to get out of the closet himself

43 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

And it shouldn't be up to Gersich alone to cover what was lost. He will easily surpass his point totals from last season. I like his contributions thus far.

Never said it SHOULD be up to him alone to cover, was responding to a specific question about WILL he be able to.

46 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Okay, I think we should stop the talk of Finley's personal life and/or behavior. Whatever problems he has, I hope he straightens them out.

Where else are we going to hear these great stories of one of the most beloved pylons of all time. We probably would of hung #9 this spring if not for him. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think Nathan Gerbe and BC had more to do with us starting to recruit mobility, but Fins probably had his share of it.

ugh, I was really hoping to forget that game, but it keeps coming up. I believe Gerbe had a hat trick by the second period and 4 goals in the game. Terrible game in the terrible stretch of years that BC had our number.