SiouxSports.com Forum

Poll: Keep or Cut Women's Hockey

bincitysioux

Keep or Cut: Women's Hockey  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Should the University of North Dakota Continue to Sponsor Women's Hockey?

• I Support the Sponsorship of Women's Hockey
    • I Support Eliminating the Women's Hockey Program

I challenge someone to explain why the sport is considered boring and if you use physicality please explain to me how UND minny games are more physical than some mens games and how its ok to cut a sport just cause you dont like it.. some folks in atlantic hockey prefer football yet some of those schools still have hockey

I will be honest when I was a freshman at UND in 2004 I went to women's hockey games because they played the Pixar shorts during intermission. The team was TERRIBLE although I did really like the Wooster sisters (was that their name?). I was sad when they left. Over the next four years I continued attending games because my buddy was a big fan as a new hockey fan. The game grew on me. I enjoy the games as have gone back as an alumni when I am in town to watch. I support these ladies in the fullest.

37 minutes ago, siouxnami said:

I think this is insulting to these athletes and condescending to the University of North Dakota. I fully support these women.

I agree. My daughter plays for Concordia. She has worked her butt off to get to where she is. Athletes like anyone else. Love watching them play and it's her senior year. Bittersweet. To answer the question yes women's hockey should always stay at UND. 

13 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

I challenge someone to explain why the sport is considered boring and if you use physicality please explain to me how UND minny games are more physical than some mens games and how its ok to cut a sport just cause you dont like it.. some folks in atlantic hockey prefer football yet some of those schools still have hockey

Just look at the attendance, that's pretty much all you need to know. If it was entertaining, people would show up.  

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

2015-2016 attendance

Women's hockey              16,143 total home attendance - 16 games - 1,009 per game

Volleyball                          13,562 total home attendance - 14 matches - 969 per match

Women's basketball          24,775 total home attendance - 16 games - 1,548 per game

Soccer                                1,624 total home attendance - 8 games - 203 per game

Softball                                  755 total home attendance - 11 games - 69 per game

There's more going on here than attendance at these sports. 

Maybe for us, WH offsets MH for Title IX and there's no real other easy way of doing that. With that concept, the rest of the sports would have to balance except for maybe taking into consideration of some profit from hockey. That may be a good thing. Most U's don't have hockey and they make their athletic department work with the other sports. So how do we make that work with the other sports, isn't that what Pres. Kennedy is trying to do?

5 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

2015-2016 attendance

Women's hockey              16,143 total home attendance - 16 games - 1,009 per game

Volleyball                          13,562 total home attendance - 14 matches - 969 per match

Women's basketball          24,775 total home attendance - 16 games - 1,548 per game

Soccer                                1,624 total home attendance - 8 games - 203 per game

Softball                                  755 total home attendance - 11 games - 69 per game

LOL.  Dohkay.  

• Downvote 1

Maybe some of you who are talking about "just look at the poor attendance" should start going to some of the games.  I go to probably 10-12 home games a year.  No, it's not the men's game.  But it's an afternoon at the rink, the kids have fun, and it's good hockey. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Maybe some of you who are talking about "just look at the poor attendance" should start going to some of the games.  I go to probably 10-12 home games a year.  No, it's not the men's game.  But it's an afternoon at the rink, the kids have fun, and it's good hockey. 

Nobody is doubting they are having fun. Probably the time of their lives, which is good.  Unfortunately UND is trying to shape an athletic department after a budget crisis.

• Upvote 1