SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Sac State

Hambone

10 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

It would be nice to blow this one open and get the backups some playing time.

Agreed, at all positions. But I'd really like to see Heidelbaugh get some chances. Plenty of other positions that could use the experience as well.

Especially with no bye week this year, it would definitely be nice to get a game or two where a majority of starters can rest in the 4th quarter instead of the game going down to the wire.  I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves though, first we need to win this game.  We cannot afford to slip up this week. 

We should be able to run the ball against Sac State.  Our defense should shut down the run and hold them under 100 yds   force them to throw.  let's keep those interceptions rolling.  Jump out early and rest the starters a lot in the second half.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

Thoughts?

North Dakota at Sacramento State

Sat 10/8   613 North Dakota   -13½ -120    o48 -120       
9:00PM   614 Sacramento State   +13½ -120     u48 -120 

Little steep IMO. If I were to bet I'd take the points as UND wins but laying 2 TDs on the road to cover is too much for a team that has not played a game decided by more than 7 points so far this season.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Little steep IMO. If I were to bet I'd take the points as I think UND wins but laying 2 TDs on the road to cover is too much for a team that has played a game decided by more than 7 points so far this season.

Ya, not quite the ML I soaked up against Cal Poly at home.........going to lay off it.

21 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Little steep IMO. If I were to bet I'd take the points as UND wins but laying 2 TDs on the road to cover is too much for a team that has not played a game decided by more than 7 points so far this season.

Don't need to have a scoring precedent to recognize superiority. UND *should* win this one by at least 14 points. 

We'll see if UND can limit their penalties and avoid stupid turnovers. If they don't shoot themselves in the foot, UND should win by a nice margin. 

I am pretty confident that the UND players and coaches learned from the two games last year that they should of won and didn't.  However that said, the other teams goal is to win too and they Sac St got an important win last week vs MSU and have some confidence.  Right now I am nervous about every game.  I think that most of the teams in the BSC could win any game any week.  Our teams resilience and never give up approach is encouraging though.   

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Don't need to have a scoring precedent to recognize superiority. UND *should* win this one by at least 14 points. 

We'll see if UND can limit their penalties and avoid stupid turnovers. If they don't shoot themselves in the foot, UND should win by a nice margin. 

Give gundy1124 the points on a $100 bet and see how comfortable you feel with *should* win by at least 14 points.  I agree *should* is plausible but I wouldn't put my own money on it..........but I would using gfhockey's cash.

20 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Give gundy1124 the points on a $100 bet and see how comfortable you feel with *should* win by at least 14 points.  I agree *should* is plausible but I wouldn't put my own money on it..........but I would using gfhockey's cash.

Gambling isn't even fun when you already have that much cash in the bank.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

Thoughts on week previous and going forward for UND. 

https://seamoresports.com/2016/10/04/und-football-3-thoughts-on-to-the-hornets/

I completely agree with your 3rd thought. Oliveira is playing great and Santiago has the ability to provide speed on the outside as a receiver or slot back, something UND has missed since losing Clive Georges. 

23 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I completely agree with your 3rd thought. Oliveira is playing great and Santiago has the ability to provide speed on the outside as a receiver or slot back, something UND has missed since losing Clive Georges. 

Maybe we should use Santiago the way that Florida used Percy Harvin.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Lots of talk of resting the UND starters. Cal Poly by 14.

I think the talk is more that it would be nice to rest the starters, and it would be beneficial to get other players some experience.  Not that it will necessarily happen.

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND is the better team, but I will point out that Bubba's first two seasons both included mid-season collapses against very poor competition. 

In Bubba's first season as head coach (2014), UND went down to play a very poor Southern Utah team (1 - 7 at the time; finished the season 3 - 9). UND was 3 - 4 (1 - 2 BSC) at the time and it was a big game because a win would've put UND at 0.500 in conference play and allowed UND to build some momentum. Unfortunately, UND played horrible and lost 35-17. 

Last season (2015), UND was 4-1 and ranked #23 in the country going into its homecoming game against a very poor Idaho State squad (1 - 4 at the time). Unfortunately, UND played very poor, gave up the lead late (choke job?) and lost in front of the home crowd (damaging to home crowd attendance). It was the only conference win for Idaho State in 2015 (2 - 9, 1 - 7 BSC) and the loss almost certainly left UND out of the playoffs. 

If UND loses to this 1-4 Sacramento State football team, I will be very, very upset. UND is ranked and needs to play like it and get this win. If UND drops this one, there is a legitimate mid-season execution issue under Bubba that needs to be called out and UND DOES NOT deserve to be in the post-season. 

and lets avoid a QB injury as well.  Both those games had our starting QB getting knocked out of the game.

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND is the better team, but I will point out that Bubba's first two seasons both included mid-season collapses against very poor competition. 

In Bubba's first season as head coach (2014), UND went down to play a very poor Southern Utah team (1 - 7 at the time; finished the season 3 - 9). UND was 3 - 4 (1 - 2 BSC) at the time and it was a big game because a win would've put UND at 0.500 in conference play and allowed UND to build some momentum. Unfortunately, UND played horrible and lost 35-17. 

Last season (2015), UND was 4-1 and ranked #23 in the country going into its homecoming game against a very poor Idaho State squad (1 - 4 at the time). Unfortunately, UND played very poor, gave up the lead late (choke job?) and lost in front of the home crowd (damaging to home crowd attendance). It was the only conference win for Idaho State in 2015 (2 - 9, 1 - 7 BSC) and the loss almost certainly left UND out of the playoffs. 

If UND loses to this 1-4 Sacramento State football team, I will be very, very upset. UND is ranked and needs to play like it and get this win. If UND drops this one, there is a legitimate mid-season execution issue under Bubba that needs to be called out and UND DOES NOT deserve to be in the post-season. 

With all that said, I expect UND to win. UND doesn't need to do anything fancy. UND just needs to play disciplined (no turnovers or penalties on offense, no big plays on defense); if they do that then UND will return home undefeated in Big Sky Conference play. 

My feeling is the players will come into this game thinking it's 99% gauranteed they already have it won.  They will see sac st is 1-4 with a d2 loss and we are now rated......big recipe for disaster.    Bubba needs to hammer into their heads all week that no game is gauranteed.  Focus and discipline !!  Road conference game that happens to be their homecoming, coming off a nice comeback game for their first win and now momentum.  Like you mentioned,  remind them of idaho st and a loss like that can and will be very devastating.  

I feel und should win the rest of their games but they need to play every game with the #leavenodoubt attitude and take no team lightly.  They are not at the point to where they will roll anyone with their style of play and inexperience youth, so most games will be fairly close and when it's close the opposing team is just waiting for that one play, turnover, mistake ...etc.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

My feeling is the players will come into this game thinking it's 99% gauranteed they already have it won.  They will see sac st is 1-4 with a d2 loss and we are now rated......big recipe for disaster.    Bubba needs to hammer into their heads all week that no game is gauranteed.  Focus and discipline !!  Road conference game that happens to be their homecoming, coming off a nice comeback game for their first win and now momentum.  Like you mentioned,  remind them of idaho st and a loss like that can and will be very devastating.  

I feel und should win the rest of their games but they need to play every game with the #leavenodoubt attitude and take no team lightly.  They are not at the point to where they will roll anyone with their style of play and inexperience youth, so most games will be fairly close and when it's close the opposing team is just waiting for that one play, turnover, mistake ...etc.  

I have to disagree with you on this one. First, I think Bubba makes a point of letting these kids know that nothing is a gimme. I also think these guys are smart enough to know they have barely lost two games, but also barely won 3. Most importantly, almost all of these players (especially the team leaders) were all around for Idaho St. and Weber St.(as mentioned) last year. So they know exactly what is on the line by not taking all games seriously.

I do think a lot of fans think this one is already in the bag, and not totally without good reason ... but I'd like to believe the coaches won't ever let these guys believe they have won a game before it is played. At least I hope they don't.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

If the players come into this game with that attitude then we have the wrong kind of players on this team!  80% of the roster should remember Idaho State and Weber last year...if they don't...well I don't like thinking about that...

Like others have said...play a clean game and run the football down their throats.  On paper I like how we match up with Sac State...but they are coming off a big win and it's a road game with a 2 hour time change...so nothing is a gimmie.  I'm hoping for Bubba's sake this is the week the team puts it all together and plays their most complete game of the season.

to me, not winning this game would show a lack of growth in the program - it would be the third year in a row with a big mid-season disappointment.  But I hope that the coaches are preparing for every game like it's the last chance they have at saving the season.  Need that urgency there every time.

• Upvote 1