SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Sac State

Hambone

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

My feeling is the players will come into this game thinking it's 99% gauranteed they already have it won.  They will see sac st is 1-4 with a d2 loss and we are now rated......big recipe for disaster.    Bubba needs to hammer into their heads all week that no game is gauranteed.  Focus and discipline !!  Road conference game that happens to be their homecoming, coming off a nice comeback game for their first win and now momentum.  Like you mentioned,  remind them of idaho st and a loss like that can and will be very devastating.  

I feel und should win the rest of their games but they need to play every game with the #leavenodoubt attitude and take no team lightly.  They are not at the point to where they will roll anyone with their style of play and inexperience youth, so most games will be fairly close and when it's close the opposing team is just waiting for that one play, turnover, mistake ...etc.  

Wow - I have much more faith in the coaching staff and the players. I am also quite confident that Bubba and the coaches know the message they need to communicate this week. Sitting at 2-2 with two close losses and two close wins - can't really see how overconfidence should be an issue. There is also a possibility of an upset but that's why they play the game. 

• Upvote 1

Just a little perspective on how Bubba has been able to turn UND around in a short time.

WHAT DID THE WIN OVER NO. 16 CAL POLY DO? WELL, IT ...
• Moved the Fighting Hawks to 6-17 against ranked foes since moving to the FCS level in 2008. 
• Improved head coach Bubba Schweigert to 4-5 against ranked foes in his two-plus seasons at UND.

In other words, Mussman was 2-12 against ranked teams..... Bubba has doubled him up in ranked wins and he's not even half way through his third season. In Bubba We Trust.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Just a little perspective on how Bubba has been able to turn UND around in a short time.

WHAT DID THE WIN OVER NO. 16 CAL POLY DO? WELL, IT ...
• Moved the Fighting Hawks to 6-17 against ranked foes since moving to the FCS level in 2008. 
• Improved head coach Bubba Schweigert to 4-5 against ranked foes in his two-plus seasons at UND.

In other words, Mussman was 2-12 against ranked teams..... Bubba has doubled him up in ranked wins and he's not even half way through his third season. In Bubba We Trust.

I see your point and it is valid but that is low hanging fruit to pick............remember Muss lost to Sioux Falls...........at home!

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Wow - I have much more faith in the coaching staff and the players. I am also quite confident that Bubba and the coaches know the message they need to communicate this week. Sitting at 2-2 with two close losses and two close wins - can't really see how overconfidence should be an issue. There is also a possibility of an upset but that's why they play the game. 

Not so much a knock on Bubba but just the reality of coaching football.

UND is actually 3-2 and on a 3 game winning steak with a national ranking (#24 in country). Point is, complacency could set in; Bubba needs to actively coach against it or else ...

• Upvote 2

Don't see complacency setting  in, we are 0-2 when in the polls this year. Also, really #24 in the nation!? that aint #@$% players know that. I think they'll look at it as if we work hard and try to string some wins together let's see how high (rankings) we can get.  These players know their on the cusp of making UND football history (health willing)! Being first to do something is a very good motivator. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SIOUX29 said:

Don't see complacency setting  in, we are 0-2 when in the polls this year. Also, really #24 in the nation!? that aint #@$% players know that. I think they'll look at it as if we work hard and try to string some wins together let's see how high (rankings) we can get.  These players know their on the cusp of making UND football history (health willing)! Being first to do something is a very good motivator. Just my opinion.

There's no denying UND had some trip ups against poor competition during the first two seasons under Bubba. That history is largely the source of the concern. 

UND is a better team than Sacramento State, so, with simply that, UND should win Saturday night. Nevertheless, there's a reason they play the games (intangibles, intangibles, intangibles). I am very interested in how discliplined UND looks on Saturday. Playoff teams and, more importantly, championship teams do the little things right and maintain focus. 

• Upvote 3

Hello,

I think the concerns of this being a trap game and the worries over past performances against poor teams are not warranted. Bubba is great and deserves all the credit he is given but I think Studsrud is being overlooked. His presence is as important as anybody.

He is 12-3 in his last 15 games. His 3 losses are to NDSU, Bowling Green, and Stony Brook. (somebody please confirm my numbers)

As long as he is our QB I have no concerns against lesser teams. The defense it top notch and the OLine appears to be on the upswing.

I'm expecting a long winning streak and I plan to enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, Kap said:

Hello,

I think the concerns of this being a trap game and the worries over past performances against poor teams are not warranted. Bubba is great and deserves all the credit he is given but I think Studsrud is being overlooked. His presence is as important as anybody.

He is 12-3 in his last 15 games. His 3 losses are to NDSU, Bowling Green, and Stony Brook. (somebody please confirm my numbers)

As long as he is our QB I have no concerns against lesser teams. The defense it top notch and the OLine appears to be on the upswing.

Missing the 3 straight losses to Idaho State, Weber State and Montana last year.

9 minutes ago, Kap said:

Hello,

I agree Studs if often overlooked.  He doesn't commit TO's.   That is very important in Bubba's scheme.  Defense needs to set up the short field and give the offense the opportunity to put points on the board.

If you look at UND's schedule in all reality they can't lose the following games and still have a realistic shot at the playoffs, even if they win every other game.

• @ Sac State
  • @ Idaho State
  • Weber State

I think losing any of those 3 games would torpedo them so far in the rankings they couldn't dig themselves out. That's why, especially on the road this game makes me nervous.

It's exciting though, every game has huge implications! Just keep winning!

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Kap said:

Our Oline was as bad as I've ever seen those first 2 games. I just hear some things at the games that make me bite my lip.

That's a huge part of it no doubt but Studs was just plain off and missing some incredibly easy throws which is not normal for him. I'm just glad he's getting back in his groove. Same with the OL.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Missing the 3 straight losses to Idaho State, Weber State and Montana last year.

Two of those losses we did not have our best team on the field...yes injuries are a part of the game but it wssn't like we lost those games becausr of complacency.

Some great points made about Studs, no turnovers is absolutely huge!   He did struggle early, but the line was really bad to start the year like others have said....and even though he may not have had a guy pressuring him real bad on some of the really bad throws he made early on, just not feeling comfortable with your line I think is going to play with a QB's head and rush things.  Throw in the fact that he was throwing to one or two true freshman, were they running the routes exactly like he thought they would be etc.?  He did deserve some criticism but glad he seems to be in a groove now.  I think it was this last game, he threw a ball that hit the ground before it got to the receiver.......however he did that purposely because if he would have thrown it right between the numbers there was a defender coming and it probably would have been picked off.  I think I saw another pass like that early in the year, where he looked like he made a bad throw but I think he did it on purpose.  I think he only has 3 interceptions between last year and this year so far.....that can take you a long way.   He probably does need to improve a little on those swing passes out into the flat though. :) 

• Upvote 1

No doubt they will execute and take this game seriously.   Last year is still fresh in their minds.  

Second note: seems like a lot of shoulder issues.  What gives?  Too many snatch lifts over the summer?   Just say'in....

2 minutes ago, SJG73 said:

No doubt they will execute and take this game seriously.   Last year is still fresh in their minds.  

Second note: seems like a lot of shoulder issues.  What gives?  Too many snatch lifts over the summer?   Just say'in....

Snatch actually prevents shoulder injuries when done with proper form. Baukol knows what he's doing. He's a great strength and conditioning coach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SJG73 said:

I have had the same concerns about some of the lifts I see these kids doing.  End range loading with near max weight is going to take its toll and might be part of the reason injuries are at an epidemic rate compared to what they were 25 years ago.  UND isn't doing something a lot of other schools aren't doing, but there are experts out there who discourage some of the more aggressive positions involved in Olympic lifts, especially withh heavy weight. 

49 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

I have had the same concerns about some of the lifts I see these kids doing.  End range loading with near max weight is going to take its toll and might be part of the reason injuries are at an epidemic rate compared to what they were 25 years ago.  UND isn't doing something a lot of other schools aren't doing, but there are experts out there who discourage some of the more aggressive positions involved in Olympic lifts, especially withh heavy weight. 

There are also experts that encourage lifting heavy weights to prevent injury. It's all about technique. Baukol is a master at teaching technique. Our guys have better form than 99% of other teams. Shoulder injuries are often a product of bad luck or poor technique on the field. 

• Upvote 1