SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Sac State

Hambone

Are Greer and Tyus Carter the only shoulder injuries?  Carter had a shoulder injury that never healed after surgery, apparently, so they are doing it again.  

Cox - knee rolled up on

Santiago - ankle rolled up on

Nevermann - ankle rolled up  on

Clive - leg rolled up on

Francis - knee I believe that has never quite healed right (I could be wrong)

Engwall - no idea but he should be back this week

Dijon Murray - no idea

10 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

I have had the same concerns about some of the lifts I see these kids doing.  End range loading with near max weight is going to take its toll and might be part of the reason injuries are at an epidemic rate compared to what they were 25 years ago.  UND isn't doing something a lot of other schools aren't doing, but there are experts out there who discourage some of the more aggressive positions involved in Olympic lifts, especially withh heavy weight. 

SU should probably fire their strength coach for allowing DeLuca's shoulder to get hurt.  C'mon guys, let's get real.  Players are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever.  You step on the field and each play could be your last.  Players and coaches know that, fans have to accept that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

SU should probably fire their strength coach for allowing DeLuca's shoulder to get hurt.  C'mon guys, let's get real.  Players are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever.  You step on the field and each play could be your last.  Players and coaches know that, fans have to accept that.

Very true. Strength and conditioning coaching is very competitive nowadays in college athletics, particularly football, but there's nothing to suggest Baukol and UND's S&C crew aren't capable. 

Just stopping by... I attended an NSCA clinic a year ago that featured Baukol and Kramer (SU) as keynote speakers along with many other coaches from the Dakotas, Colorado, and Missouri (great conference if you are in to that sort of thing). All speaking on the speed of today's game and how S&C has evolved to make the players bigger faster and stronger all the while promoting movements that help prevent injuries. I think UND is pretty lucky to have Baukol from what other coaches in the field say about him and the wealth of knowledge that he has.

• Upvote 2

My huge Bison fan co-worker says that the strength and conditioning of NDSU has allowed them to stay fresh late in games, whereas their opponents are wore down.  I hope Baukol is doing the same for UND players.  I think that is about as crucial as it gets - who can outlast who.

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

My huge Bison fan co-worker says that the strength and conditioning of NDSU has allowed them to stay fresh late in games, whereas their opponents are wore down.  I hope Baukol is doing the same for UND players.  I think that is about as crucial as it gets - who can outlast who.

Sigh.  No, the fact they have better players than every team they play against is why they are fresh-looking and winning in the fourth quarter.  The myth that Kramer does what other coaches don't is so stupid.  Taken on a life of it's own.  He is a direct result of their recruiting success.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Sigh.  No, the fact they have better players than every team they play against is why they are fresh-looking and winning in the fourth quarter.  The myth that Kramer does what other coaches don't is so stupid.  Taken on a life of it's own.  He is a direct result of their recruiting success.  

for largely academic purposes, does anyone know if what they do behind enemy is significantly different than what we do? Just out of pure curiousity

To all Baukol haters out there. Watch a video of any FBS team lift. Then watch our guys. Then go back and watch the FBS guys. Baukol is a master of teaching form. He won't let guys push themselves with weight unless they are at least proficient in the technique. I've seen him shut guys down for using bad form. He's an excellent SC coach who had to try and make chicken soup out of chicken !@#$ for years thanks to Mussman. Just look at Greg Hardin. Came in running a slow 4.5 and left running in the mid 4.3s. That's because Baukol has his players doing heavy explosive lifts. That's the only way to really train the fast twitch fibers and to increase their output. Lift heavy and fast. Baukol is the man.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

for largely academic purposes, does anyone know if what they do behind enemy is significantly different than what we do? Just out of pure curiousity

No. It isn't. I've talked to former Bison players about it and seen the training videos they post on the internet. And as a side note their injury rate is higher than ours. It's due to playing 15 games a year, not because their SC coach doesn't know what he's doing. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

To all Baukol haters out there. Watch a video of any FBS team lift. Then watch our guys. Then go back and watch the FBS guys. Baukol is a master of teaching form. He won't let guys push themselves with weight unless they are at least proficient in the technique. I've seen him shut guys down for using bad form. He's an excellent SC coach who had to try and make chicken soup out of chicken !@#$ for years thanks to Mussman. Just look at Greg Hardin. Came in running a slow 4.5 and left running in the mid 4.3s. That's because Baukol has his players doing heavy explosive lifts. That's the only way to really train the fast twitch fibers and to increase their output. Lift heavy and fast. Baukol is the man.

I definitely wasn't hating on Baukol, if that's how it came across.  I fully believe UND is lucky to have him.

29 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

LOL....Hating on Muss.....you were the last one to get off the Muss Bus!

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Any new update on Santiago and Rooney? Last I heard, it sounded like Rooney would be good to go, but hadn't heard if Santiago was going to make the trip. Anyone?

And I will add Seibel to that question; Any timeline on his return? When he does get back in the game, I would assume he will retake the punt return roll? He got much better as the year went on last season. I think I would be most comfortable seeing him back there with his experience.

4 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

And I will add Seibel to that question; Any timeline on his return? When he does get back in the game, I would assume he will retake the punt return roll? He got much better as the year went on last season. I think I would be most comfortable seeing him back there with his experience.

He's already cleared and playing. He returned last Saturday against Cal Poly, and yes, he resumed punt return duties. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

No. It isn't. I've talked to former Bison players about it and seen the training videos they post on the internet. And as a side note their injury rate is higher than ours. It's due to playing 15 games a year, not because their SC coach doesn't know what he's doing. 

Thanks for the response

In response to the "bison talent train,".... Is that a really talented football team? Absolutely, but so is half of the FCS field. It's amazing what an atmosphere can create for student athletes and an environment that they don't want to let each other down. They are all pulling in the right direction. Their egos were checked at the door when they were freshman and learn to work together as a team. This is a culture that I'm beginning to notice from Bubba's squad and I for one am absolutely excited for the future of this program. Next man up. 

In Bubba We Trust. On to Sac St.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I still get a little nervous even with Seibel returning punts, he gets too close to the ball sometimes when he doesn't field it.  Last week there was one that bounced only a couple of yards from him....if it took a funny bounce it could have easily bounced off him and there were two Poly guys right there that would have jumped on it.  I believe he fumbled a return at one point last year too.  He does have the most experience at it on our team right now though, but make a decision as to if you are going to field it or not....and if not....get 10 yards away from the ball.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I still get a little nervous even with Seibel returning punts, he gets too close to the ball sometimes when he doesn't field it.  Last week there was one that bounced only a couple of yards from him....if it took a funny bounce it could have easily bounced off him and there were two Poly guys right there that would have jumped on it.  I believe he fumbled a return at one point last year too.  He does have the most experience at it on our team right now though, but make a decision as to if you are going to field it or not....and if not....get 10 yards away from the ball.   

He's good for about one gaffe a game as PR it seems.... Then again he'll also actually return punts. 

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

I have never seen a fan base that didn't think their SC coach was better than everyone else's SC coach.  I wonder how many secrets there are out there.