SiouxSports.com Forum

On To Bowling Green

geaux_sioux

7 hours ago, Irish said:

Or ...... someone could just say who - it isn't bashing a player to note a play in which he got beat.

Ha...i was just letting people know that the game is there.  

i really don't care to go back and pick players apart, but maybe rewatch and get a better feel for what worked snd what didnt overall.

If playoffs is the goal, then laying the egg against Stony Brook makes this game pretty much a must-win game.  It would be an awful lot to ask of the team to go 8-1 for USD and the conference season.  Yes, the season is not over if they lose, but they really need to find a way to win this game.  Find a way to win even if they are not the better team and even if they lose the statistical battle.  Block a punt, get a pick-6, win the turnover battle, get a few bounces, whatever it takes.    

Interesting post game blog.  Stony Brook is a very good defense. Best we will see or best in FCS?  Silly statements cuz no way to tell.  Tough injury to Clive.  Of course he was fighting for every yard he could get.  That is what winners do. His injury is a lot more than "next man up".  He will need support so he can recover and complete his degree.  There is enough of an adjustment to athletes when their careers are over much less cut short like this.  The staff and teammates will support him. Fans need to keep track of him and make sure if he needs anything he gets it. Don't be too hard on Studsrud.  He isn't going to win games for us and he isn't going to lose games for us.  He was given the job because the staff wanted a guy to "read defenses and hand the ball off".  They felt he was least likely to turn the ball over.  He didn't throw any interceptions and only lost one of his 2 fumbles.  When given time to throw he has done a decent job.  He isn't the gunslinger type that can put this team on his back and carry them through adversity.  That isn't the type of offense Bubba wants nor what the majority of fans on this blog want.  We have other receivers who can make plays and Studsrud can get them the ball when they are open and he has time.  Yeah he played poorly Thursday but if the run game isn't clicking and the oline struggles QB's tend to struggle.  Oline is key to this offense.  Receivers can't drop balls and need to run the right routes.  When the oline struggles, we aren't running the ball, and our receivers don't catch every ball we will struggle.  RB's are good but if we can't throw the ball consistently and effectively, they aren't as good.  All of this sounds familiar? Studsrud will be better than this.  My biggest disappointment is he didn't throw these guys on his back and make his teammates better while facing adversity.  Tough to do, but he didn't lose this game for us. It was a team effort.  Special teams a big disappointment again.  We simply must win every special teams play and can never turn the ball over on special teams.  Defense is very good and should get better as season goes on.  Good depth up front . If we are healthy we can scheme to give our corners some help.  Pressure on BG QB will make our CB's better.

Defense is good enough to get us a win next week if we can sustain offensive drives and protect the ball.  We must have a clean game offensively and can't turn the ball over.  Protect our QB and give our backs some room to run we can give these guys a game, then if there in 4th quarter anything can happen. We may need to start using Studsrud's legs to create some opportunities.  We have enough RB's to keep them from getting tired and Studsrud has the ability to run the ball. To control the ball by pounding the rock  requires a dominant oline and it doesn't seem we are there yet.  We need all of the tools in the shed to get the job done this week.  Fly Hawks!  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Interesting post game blog.  Stony Brook is a very good defense. Best we will see or best in FCS?  Silly statements cuz no way to tell.  Tough injury to Clive.  Of course he was fighting for every yard he could get.  That is what winners do. His injury is a lot more than "next man up".  He will need support so he can recover and complete his degree.  There is enough of an adjustment to athletes when their careers are over much less cut short like this.  The staff and teammates will support him. Fans need to keep track of him and make sure if he needs anything he gets it. Don't be too hard on Studsrud.  He isn't going to win games for us and he isn't going to lose games for us.  He was given the job because the staff wanted a guy to "read defenses and hand the ball off".  They felt he was least likely to turn the ball over.  He didn't throw any interceptions and only lost one of his 2 fumbles.  When given time to throw he has done a decent job.  He isn't the gunslinger type that can put this team on his back and carry them through adversity.  That isn't the type of offense Bubba wants nor what the majority of fans on this blog want.  We have other receivers who can make plays and Studsrud can get them the ball when they are open and he has time.  Yeah he played poorly Thursday but if the run game isn't clicking and the oline struggles QB's tend to struggle.  Oline is key to this offense.  Receivers can't drop balls and need to run the right routes.  When the oline struggles, we aren't running the ball, and our receivers don't catch every ball we will struggle.  RB's are good but if we can't throw the ball consistently and effectively, they aren't as good.  All of this sounds familiar? Studsrud will be better than this.  My biggest disappointment is he didn't throw these guys on his back and make his teammates better while facing adversity.  Tough to do, but he didn't lose this game for us. It was a team effort.  Special teams a big disappointment again.  We simply must win every special teams play and can never turn the ball over on special teams.  Defense is very good and should get better as season goes on.  Good depth up front . If we are healthy we can scheme to give our corners some help.  Pressure on BG QB will make our CB's better.

Defense is good enough to get us a win next week if we can sustain offensive drives and protect the ball.  We must have a clean game offensively and can't turn the ball over.  Protect our QB and give our backs some room to run we can give these guys a game, then if there in 4th quarter anything can happen. We may need to start using Studsrud's legs to create some opportunities.  We have enough RB's to keep them from getting tired and Studsrud has the ability to run the ball. To control the ball by pounding the rock  requires a dominant oline and it doesn't seem we are there yet.  We need all of the tools in the shed to get the job done this week.  Fly Hawks!  

An accurate assessment - and although I certainly am not giving up on us, I do have some frustrations about this game.  - Maybe we over-hyped ourselves in the off season - new indoor performance center, third year of Bubba Ball and all, but this team looks to have taken a step backwards in some areas.  I get that we played a tough defense, but we missed making the plays that were there for us.  I thought that part of Bubba Ball was being assignment sharp - here not so much.  And Bubba really needs to find a way to win these very important and winnable games - we saw a few last year and now this.  We have dug ourselves a hole we need to climb out of and it starts this week.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Irish said:

An accurate assessment - and although I certainly am not giving up on us, I do have some frustrations about this game.  - Maybe we over-hyped ourselves in the off season - new indoor performance center, third year of Bubba Ball and all, but this team looks to have taken a step backwards in some areas.  I get that we played a tough defense, but we missed making the plays that were there for us.  I thought that part of Bubba Ball was being assignment sharp - here not so much.  And Bubba really needs to find a way to win these very important and winnable games - we saw a few last year and now this.  We have dug ourselves a hole we need to climb out of and it starts this week.

It was an off game. Guys were out of sync for some reason. That won't happen again next week. I wonder if there is a shake up to happen on the OL? Maybe get Aplin in there at LG?

On Thursday, September 01, 2016 at 7:39 PM, the cornerback teacher said:

They will be ok, i think bubba will make some big changes for the next game. We can't go into bowling green trying to figure out who came to play. This week practice is very important. Who practice the best should play.

Bubba needs to practice walking corners up.  Making them play 10 yards off and conceding yards underneath gives the QB clean site lines and confidence to throw wherever he wants. Soft zone defense is not very effective in my opinion. Press under cover 1 or 2.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Bubba needs to practice walking corners up.  Making them play 10 yards off and conceding yards underneath gives the QB clean site lines and confidence to throw wherever he wants. Soft zone defense is not very effective in my opinion. Press under cover 1 or 2.

Reminds me of how the vikings used to play defense.

2 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Reminds me of how the vikings used to play defense.

Making corners play off makes it look like they don't have the ability to cover anyone. Get up in the receivers face. If he goes to hit hotdog stand...you go with him. If he goes to get a cup a water, you go too. We also need more corners on the field in nickle instead of safeties. In my opinion. Playing in the secondary is tough but scheme can make it more difficult than it should be. I have never liked the bail technique.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Bowling Green will be emotionally spent after playing Ohio State tomorrow.  No matter what happens, this will be a good week to play BGSU as they won't be up for us, even though it will be their home opener.

They may have already circled that game as a loss. The OSU game is just a money grab and recruiting tool for them. I am sure they see our game as week 1 and a guaranteed win. We have to be on top of our game this week. I'm more concerned about our emotional level this week. 

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Discipline is required for the type of team philosophy you just described, and, of course, it is what Bubba wants. 

Studsrud's fumbles were undisciplined. The offensive line's struggles were partially discipline related. The punt block was a mental lapse. The penalties were mistimed and hurt UND. 

If UND wants to win with how they're built, they need to win the turnover battle. The fumbles and blocked punt absolutely killed UND vs Stony Brook. That can't happen vs BGSU and the subsequent games if UND is to win. 

Have to limit the mistakes! Hopefully the discipline improves with time and additional practice/coaching. 

3 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Making corners play off makes it look like they don't have the ability to cover anyone. Get up in the receivers face. If he goes to hit hotdog stand...you go with him. If he goes to get a cup a water, you go too. We also need more corners on the field in nickle instead of safeties. In my opinion. Playing in the secondary is tough but scheme can make it more difficult than it should be. I have never liked the bail technique.

It's the bend, but don't break style. I think the corners should be up on the receivers as well. I do think we'd notice some growing pains with the cbs up on the line vs the wrs, but in the long run I think it would help.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I love the bail technique, when it's played a yard off and looks like man press.  I think our corners need to disguise their coverages more.

• Upvote 1