SiouxSports.com Forum

On To Bowling Green

geaux_sioux

If anyone really wants to get down on this team, remember Montana last season. Yes they started with a big W against NDSU; then they went on to lose to Cal Poly and Liberty. After that they went on to make the playoffs and beat a good SDSU team.

Point is, it is a long season, and there will be a lot of ups and downs.

It would have been nice to be 2-0, but it was more realistic to be 1-1 after 2 tough road games. That can still happen. I know most people expected for SB to be in the win column, but now we just need to get that win somewhere else. Win a different, close, game. Maybe that is N Arizona, or Bowling Green, or Mt St on the road. No reason to get down on this team yet. They are the same talented bunch that we were excited about going into the SB game.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

They showed one replay...and i focused on his foot (i was pretty sure it was broke when they helped him up and his foot was dangling).

ok, I must have been screaming or drinking at that point. First I was mad that clive didn't secure the ball and just go down. Then I was mad that he was injured. Oh well, S*%t happens. Next man up!

36 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Next week will be a very different game. Have to remember that this is not the same BGSU team that was in the bowl game last season. They have lost a ton of players (QB, RB, and something like 4 receivers). They do return the most experienced O-line in college football (not the best, but the most experienced). They also lost their coach. I expect their play style to be the same, but not their talent level; it will take some time for them to gel.

SB challenged our front 7 with the run game, and overall, we held them up pretty well (62 yards rushing for SB). BG will challenge our secondary, which looked pretty rough early in the game, but seemed to play a little better as the game went on. Maybe I've missed the update, but has anyone heard how Reyes is doing?

SB defense was also very good at locking in on Santiago and limiting the run game. Last season we could see Santiago get to the edge and turn the corner, and SB sniffed him out almost every time last night. I expect him to have more running room again BGSU. Someone on the BGSU forum stated they thought they would have the best front 7 in the MAC this year, which seems pretty bold considering how bad their run D got torched by Georgia Southern in their bowl game.

I'm not a good judge of O-lines, but I didn't think they cost us the game by any stretch last night. They will certainly need to continue to grow and improve, but I though they were ok for being somewhat of an unknown. I wouldn't expect this to be any different next weekend.

#1 most critical thing for UND to beat Bowling Green is better QB play. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I really like Studsrud. He showed why he was the starter last season, but he was awful last night. Didn't play well under pressure, and didn't play well when he had time. I trust that was partially due to being the first game and that he will get back to his true form.

Special teams were ok, and I was really thinking Dussold was playing ok, up until his punt got blocked. That is SO unacceptable, especially given where they were on the field.

On to Bowling Green! Lets get another FBS win, even up the record and come back home!

I agree about the o line.....not good but bad. Have to consider who they were playing.  I feel stony has the best d in the fcs. Especially the front four.    I was barraged with backlash last night and the fact the team to south has a better d. While the team to the south have a great d they have the more complete team and that's why they have accomplished what they have.   Actually they have more talent on offense then d.  Stony has zero offense or special teams. My crystal ball says stony will finish 6-5 5-6.  Und will not see a front four like that all season and the Unds four newcomers were thrown into the fire.  

Game one is done 

Bgsu won't be as complete as stony up front on d.  I look for the hogs, with one game under their belts, to be able to get better push.  

Keaton needs to settle himself.  He is a must for und to be victorious. Terrible performance by him last night

Losing Clive is brutal!  Unds only wr with break away speed.  Makes the opposing teams safeties and cbs job a lot easier, no need for "cushion".  Play tight on our possession wrs and contain the run.  

Feel horrible for Clive!  

Unds front 7 will be challenged more against Bgsu as they return a ton of experience on their o line. They will have some success however just not as much as usual. 

Tyus is going be picked on all night.  He wasn't good last night against stony and stony is bad passing team.  

Cole, please be healthy!!!!! 

Und has a chance, just need a few things to fall into place, namely getting Studsrud to settle

1 minute ago, homer said:

Unless Studsrud gets much better it does not matter who is at WR.  

Agreed, but are we really going to question Studrud? He played 1 bad game this season. He played like 7 good games last season. I'll judge on the overall body of work and trust he will play better.

If he has another 2 games like this, then I agree, but he will get back to his normal form. I'll cut him a break for his first game and playing against a top defense.

34 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I agree about the o line.....not good but bad. Have to consider who they were playing.  I feel stony has the best d in the fcs. Especially the front four.    I was barraged with backlash last night and the fact the team to south has a better d. While the team to the south have a great d they have the more complete team and that's why they have accomplished what they have.   Actually they have more talent on offense then d.  Stony has zero offense or special teams. My crystal ball says stony will finish 6-5 5-6.  Und will not see a front four like that all season and the Unds four newcomers were thrown into the fire.  

Game one is done 

Bgsu won't be as complete as stony up front on d.  I look for the hogs, with one game under their belts, to be able to get better push.  

Keaton needs to settle himself.  He is a must for und to be victorious. Terrible performance by him last night

Losing Clive is brutal!  Unds only wr with break away speed.  Makes the opposing teams safeties and cbs job a lot easier, no need for "cushion".  Play tight on our possession wrs and contain the run.  

Feel horrible for Clive!  

Unds front 7 will be challenged more against Bgsu as they return a ton of experience on their o line. They will have some success however just not as much as usual. 

Tyus is going be picked on all night.  He wasn't good last night against stony and stony is bad passing team.  

Cole, please be healthy!!!!! 

Und has a chance, just need a few things to fall into place, namely getting Studsrud to settle

Stony could have the top defense in the country. If not they are right up there. I don't really care if they are #1 or not (statistically speaking), if you are even close to the top, you are good.

NDSU does have a great defense and they always seem to get better as the season goes on. But Yes, they do have a much more complete team. If there D has an off game, their O picks up the slack and vice versa.

I've heard through other threads that Cole is ok, nothing more reliable than that though.

Feel bad for Clive, but now it is next man up.

I do anticipate Stony being a pretty decent team though, remember their offense wasn't good, but they were playing a top D as well. I actually though Carbone played better than I initially expected, at least early on. Their D could definitely win them a few games. I think they have a pretty good RB, but that didn't really show because of our front 7.

UND will be fine. Time to get to business for BGSU.

54 minutes ago, homer said:

Unless Studsrud gets much better it does not matter who is at WR.  

QB play was jittery, but that may have to do with confidence in the guys in front of him.  Maybe just rattled at that thought of getting pasted?  I'm not throwing out excuses, but we've all seen good QB's rattled by a stout defense.

Everyone said it was going to be a low scoring slobber-knocker, but I don't think any of us knew exactly what that was going to look like in the flesh.

Anyway . . . "on to Bowling Green" . . . Anyone going to the game?

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, but are we really going to question Studrud? He played 1 bad game this season. He played like 7 good games last season. I'll judge on the overall body of work and trust he will play better.

If he has another 2 games like this, then I agree, but he will get back to his normal form. I'll cut him a break for his first game and playing against a top defense.

Last night was a game he had to win for us as we didn't get a lot of consistent traction running the ball.  He didn't do that and a lot was just pitch and catch and he struggled with his accuracy. 

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Last night was a game he had to win for us as we didn't get a lot of consistent traction running the ball.  He didn't do that and a lot was just pitch and catch and he struggled with his accuracy. 

I agree, but I'm not ready to burn him at the stake yet either. As hard as many of us are being on him, I guarantee you he is being even harder on himself. He knows he wasn't good last night. He know he could have done more to win that game. He will get it corrected. At the same time, he didn't let the punt get blocked either; and as bad as I feel for Clive, he tried to do too much instead of securing the ball. Secure the ball and go down and you probably win, and don't get injured.

I believe that Keaton will bounce back from last nights game.  He seemed out of sync with the receivers but also the receivers dropped some passes that hit their hands. I was glad when he started to scramble a bit.  That is a strength he needs to be able to use.  Last nights game had mistakes in every part of the game.  Punter I thought did ok.  Blocked punt was not his fault, the blockers did a terrible job.  Secondary got picked on a bit and I am glad that they didn't keep throwing deep balls since they were having success in the first half.  D Line didn't do well in the first quarter but looked better in rest of the game but still not great.  O line also just did ok.  They had moments and then they also had some mistakes.  Lastly some coaches calls left me scratching my head.  First game of the season all of this will happen when you are having your first contact with another team and not your own teammates and not fully live practices.  I have confidence that they will perform much better against BG but it will probably be another game that could go either way.  I am with this team until the end (unlike the bandwagon fans in last nights posts). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, homer said:

I don't think anyone is bandwagon.  This comes with expectations and hype.  The fucking Mussman days of "toe to toe" better be long gone.  Fans were truly disappointed in the outcome last night. 

Actually this team needs to attract the bandwagon fans like the Bison did when they started to put together their string of championships.  The way you do that is by winning these games and keeping the buzz alive.  And once you get those bandwagon fans, they are hooked and hopefully the atmosphere at the games that was created compels them to stay on even through a rough year or two.  Let's start the process of getting some of those bandwagon fans against Bowling Green. 

• Upvote 3

Im going to be super cliche, but that's the way it needs to be. On to the next ball game. As for the injuries, next man up. As for the poor performances, best man will play. 

Bowling Green is a winnable game. You can argue likelihood and percentages all you want, but the bottom line is UND needs to focus on themselves (no penalties, no turnovers, better punt protection, better QB progression and throws, etc.) and expect to win against BGSU. 

Injuries are a part of football. You can deal with them by improving depth via recruiting and/or player development, both of which this is not the time for. I feel bad for Clive, but as for the team, they can't dwell on that. The true freshmen WRs and FBS transfer Mercer and Alex Reed need to step up. Luke Stanley will certainly be the go to guy for now. Lastly, Keaton just needs to play better. Last night he had poor throws and poor pocket awareness. Timing just seemed off. 

Against BGSU, UND's offensive line and QB play needs to show the most improvement in order for UND to get their first win. 

At least I did get my game worn jersey today that I ordered, I thought it was suppose to be here yesterday.  Maybe it's like the UND offense......just late and not there for the first game......but will be for the rest of the season!  I'll be ready to go and excited come game time for BG. 

Sioux jersey.jpg

Still super excited about this season. Last night was just an unfortunate glitch.

Unds run d is just crazy good, take away that 24 yrd run, stony was 33 car 38 yards!!  This is a run first, second, third, fourth kinda team and und stuffed them!!  Huge props!! Complete d line are all Americans!! :)

O line will be fine after facing their hardest task. Plus they see our d line every practice. The starting 5 are talented giants 

Keaton will get his mojo back 

cole is an all American 

santiago is an all American 

cbs need to shore things up, hope to see improvement .....quickly!! 

biggest concern is that there is no home run threat to take it to the house at wr.  Even though und doesn't play that style of game you need some speed on the outside that will keep defenses honest.  They will now stack the box every game and dare santiago to beat them.  Odds are he will more often then not . They used Clive perfectly at the end of last year and the results were incredible for the offense. 

In the third year of Bubba Ball, and after what seemed like an eternity down the Muss Hole, it is high time we stop pissing away games like this and learn how to get it done.  No excuse for some of the play we saw including getting a punt stuffed for the loss.  

Positives:

our front seven is filthy. The RFR even look really really good. 

Keaton literally won't play worse than that all year.

Santiago is even better. Some of his carries last night were incredible even if they only resulted in a few yards.

Reyes is going to have an unreal year if he stays healthy.

The OL won't play worse than that this year. A lot of guys got their first full time game action last night.

The CBs got better as the game went on.

Dussold was very good last night. That will help the defense.

Did I mention the front seven yet? 

Negatives:

Clives leg...... He may never play again.... I hope he can recover

Tyus struggled bad. I'm not sure why he's playing 10 yards off and then bailing but it needs to change. You can't do both.

Punt team blocking...... Awful awful awful

Two of these things can be fixed with coaching. On to Bowling Green.

• Upvote 1