SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

41 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Prior to NDSU moving to D1 and obviously UND still had the best logo in college athletics, but UND merch outsold Bison merch in the Fargo Scheels store.

Unfortunately the bandwagon in Fargo hasn't gotten quite a bit heavier. 

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yes, I'd think it was common sense, but I don't have an indelible proof of that being how it works at that particular Scheels. 

Hockey is a JV sport compared to football on many, many levels. So, there is a large population of people who don't watch UND hockey. With all of that said, UND hockey and NDSU football are basically 1 and 1a in regards to the most popular sport in the state and it goes back and forth all the time. Your anecdotal look at the Minot Scheels hardly gleans any insight in whether or not "no one cares about UND sports as much anymore compared to the Ag school"

I'd say the logo is certainly not helping sales of UND apparel, no doubt. But, I don't think the two options you listed are the primary reasons.  

Those sports WERE 1a and 1b. Not anymore!

UND is riding in the back to NDSU. Just check out the Scheels store in Bismarck! Mostly NDSU…… like UND barely exists. We cant let’s this get worse!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

Prior to NDSU moving to D1 and obviously UND still had the best logo in college athletics, but UND merch outsold Bison merch in the Fargo Scheels store.

Yeah I never knew what NDSU was as a kid and never owned an article of clothing, and it’s not like my family was skewed only one way. NDSU wasn’t a thing. Losing the Sioux logo was a huge blow because it was replaced with a horrendous one. No moving to D1 sooner has also put us behind. Other than the beautiful UND campus improvements there is not much we are winning on between the two universities.

2 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah I never knew what NDSU was as a kid and never owned an article of clothing, and it’s not like my family was skewed only one way. NDSU wasn’t a thing. Losing the Sioux logo was a huge blow because it was replaced with a horrendous one. No moving to D1 sooner has also put us behind. Other than the beautiful UND campus improvements there is not much we are winning on between the two universities.

bc we have 3 shirts at the sheels in minot we are not doing anything at UND other than buidling building and planting thousands of daylilies?  move away from the edge of the cliff.....

outside of Fargo/ND no one knows NDAC ....UND is world class/famous across numerous platforms

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bc we have 3 shirts at the sheels in minot we are not doing anything at UND other than buidling building and planting thousands of daylilies?  move away from the edge of the cliff.....

outside of Fargo/ND no one knows NDAC ....UND is world class/famous across numerous platforms

You obviously do not live in ND. Go around Bismarck, Minot to sports bars and tell me what you see more logos of? Let’s not even talk about small town bars…… Scheels is just one of the signs of what’s going on. 

When is the last time they wrote an article on ESPN about UND? NDSU is more relevant right now outside of Fargo than UND. Not sure how you can argue that.

8 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

No it is just sad to see what is going on in ND to my Alma Mater. I can’t stand being second fiddle to the arch enemy! 

if you are not first,  you are last

That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth… hell you can even be fifth.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You obviously do not live in ND. Go around Bismarck, Minot to sports bars and tell me what you see more logos of? Let’s not even talk about small town bars…… Scheels is just one of the signs of what’s going on. 

When is the last time they wrote an article on ESPN about UND? NDSU is more relevant right now outside of Fargo than UND. Not sure how you can argue that.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34181670/vancouver-canucks-re-sign-brock-boeser-3-year-deal-665m-average-annual-value

u can't argue with bizon fans...alternate reality that FCS is popular outside of FCS and that number is declining each year....

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34181670/vancouver-canucks-re-sign-brock-boeser-3-year-deal-665m-average-annual-value

u can't argue with bizon fans...alternate reality that FCS is popular outside of FCS and that number is declining each year....

Did I miss UND being mentioned in that article? FCS may be declining in popularity but AG U is not really an ordinary FCS team. FBS level talent that has made big news stories and NFL draft picks! When is the last time UND made national news? Waletzko?

NDSU is easier to be a fan of. At least right now.  Better at sports.  Football is bigger than hockey. And NDSU's absurd success there can't be understated.  On a base level,  NDSU SHOULD be bigger than UND under present circumstances. 

I wouldn't say it's anything super serious. Both schools fans are pretty casual. This ain't the deep south or anything. 

• Upvote 1

What do I think of the logo?
I think I've heard the same bemoaning since Wednesday, June 22, 2016, when it was released. 

Tell 'em Don -> 

You drag it around like a ball and chain You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down Complain about the present and blame it on the past I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

Get over it Get over it All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit Get over it, get over it

Get over it Get over it It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit Get over it, get over it
  • Downvote 1

On 8/22/2022 at 4:42 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

Did I miss UND being mentioned in that article? FCS may be declining in popularity but AG U is not really an ordinary FCS team. FBS level talent that has made big news stories and NFL draft picks! When is the last time UND made national news? Waletzko?

Whenever NDSU is on national TV they always use the Fighting Hawks logo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

NDSU is easier to be a fan of. At least right now.  Better at sports.  Football is bigger than hockey. And NDSU's absurd success there can't be understated.  On a base level,  NDSU SHOULD be bigger than UND under present circumstances. 

I wouldn't say it's anything super serious. Both schools fans are pretty casual. This ain't the deep south or anything. 

outside of football what are they better at? 

It's really hard to say that NDSU football is bigger than UND hockey when the last few destination games for hockey have been sold out and the bars run out of beer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded part. UND is good at hockey, a niche sport, and NDSU is good at FCS football, a niche sport, but with broader appeal. Nothing to really get our knickers in a twist about. 

35 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

It's really hard to say that NDSU football is bigger than UND hockey when the last few destination games for hockey have been sold out and the bars run out of beer.

Realistically, basketball, which also has a bigger appeal than hockey in a national sense. Our fanbase for hockey may be bigger in all considerations, but that doesn't mean UND is noticed more by the larger part of the nation. With their success in FCS football, more people probably know more about NDSU than UND and could very well not know the difference lol. We all need to have a little bit of perspective haha. Like JohnBoy said, it's not really a big deal, though.

On 8/22/2022 at 4:42 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

FCS and ordinary go hand in hand....sorry.

"hey you wanna come over and watch NDAC play Incarnate Word on ESPN8?"..."hey you wanna come over and watch Mount Union play Wisconsin-Whitewater on ESPN9"

the average FBS fan..."who?" ...and nope.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

Whenever NDSU is on national TV they always use the Fighting Hawks logo.

They do sometimes. I've seen it a handful of times. Maybe you watch more NDSU athletics than I do.

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

"Outside of football" is not particularly important. Neither University excels at the typical olympic sports to a level where it will generate Fandom. At least now. 

If we go to the bar in Jamestown or Bismarck and NDSU/UND are playing a basketball game on TV, rooting interest among the folks there will probably be determined by whether you are a bigger ndsu football fan or und hockey fan. There just isn't some big independent interest in either school's secondary athletic programs. 

Showing up at a fun destination game is all well and good. NDSU had a bunch of folks show up at Target Field for some nonsense bodybag game.  I dont think either of those events tell us much about anything. Its a fun novelty thing.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

They do sometimes. I've seen it a handful of times. Maybe you watch more NDSU athletics than I do.

"Outside of football" is not particularly important. Neither University excels at the typical olympic sports to a level where it will generate Fandom. At least now. 

If we go to the bar in Jamestown or Bismarck and NDSU/UND are playing a basketball game on TV, rooting interest among the folks there will probably be determined by whether you are a bigger ndsu football fan or und hockey fan. There just isn't some big independent interest in either school's secondary athletic programs. 

Showing up at a fun destination game is all well and good. NDSU had a bunch of folks show up at Target Field for some nonsense bodybag game.  I dont think either of those events tell us much about anything. Its a fun novelty thing.

we play penn state and arizona state for these games...they play a d3 school non scholly fb game in a baseball stadium.

for our games the beer is flowing downtown (and some puke)....for ndac its strictly urine.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:59 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Yes, I'd think it was common sense, but I don't have an indelible proof of that being how it works at that particular Scheels. 

Hockey is a JV sport compared to football on many, many levels. So, there is a large population of people who don't watch UND hockey. With all of that said, UND hockey and NDSU football are basically 1 and 1a in regards to the most popular sport in the state and it goes back and forth all the time. Your anecdotal look at the Minot Scheels hardly gleans any insight in whether or not "no one cares about UND sports as much anymore compared to the Ag school"

I'd say the logo is certainly not helping sales of UND apparel, no doubt. But, I don't think the two options you listed are the primary reasons.  

I think @stoneySIOUX is right. To many people, hockey is a niche sport. It's just a fact. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, NDSU football does have a pretty big following in the state of North Dakota. There's a lot of their crap clothing in the Grand Forks Scheels. I don't like anything NDSU, but they have been pretty successful on the football field. I wish our program could elevate to the NDSU level. It would be good for our alma mater. 

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

we play penn state and arizona state for these games...they play a d3 school non scholly fb game in a baseball stadium.

for our games the beer is flowing downtown (and some puke)....for ndac its strictly urine.

To be fair they will finally play a good opponent the next time as in EWU and will probably sell 40.000 to the game at US Bank Stadium. Most of their games are a yawn fest

can we fill a hockey rink with 40k?