SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Track, football, and soccer have a pretty solid resolution now with the HPC. Tennis is in good shape with the agreement to use the new tennis facility in Grand Forks. 

Baseball is already gone. I'd say softball should be very wary give their facility was rated the same. I'd say swimming should be wary as their facility need should be near the top (bottom?) of the list now as well. 

Aren't the Apollo fields newly renovated? 

Based on Pres. Kennedy's letter.  1) Athletics is the welcoming door to the university.  What better way to welcoming with top notch winning programs.  To achieve that you need to command your resources to the sports that will succeed.  I think WHY is gone.  and allocation to both M&W Basketball and Volleyball receiving resources as well as Track.  swimming and diving gone.  Probably soccer.

2)   They elimination of sports will be determined this fall.  Conference changes if so will be later.  All based on cost benefit and best opportunities to have the university shine in the region. 

Pres Kennedy stands ready to offer analytical support and alternative approaches.  Conference alignment. 

I think Pres Kennedy will be in the mold of Clifford maybe even better.

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Second paragraph- why can't they have both?   In order to have both, each needs to be properly funded.   One has been the last few seasons and the other hasn't.   Having 21 sports to fund hasn't allowed for that.   Next would be the argument of which program, if equally successful brings the most potential for national r cognition to the university if they truly are a "front porch to the entire campus". 

We had both in the early 2000's when I was a student and it was great.

I don't want to start a hockey vs football thread as I attend games for both teams despite living 1,000 miles away but with the current setup neither program is going to bring the national recognition.  NDSU has won five straight FCS titles and ESPN still ignores them on a consistent basis.

I think it comes down to who brings in the most money to help fund the other sports in the athletic department.  Hockey may have hit its max but it still seems like it is bigger than football ever will be as far as funding.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

We had both in the early 2000's when I was a student and it was great.

I don't want to start a hockey vs football thread as I attend games for both teams despite living 1,000 miles away but with the current setup neither program is going to bring the national recognition.  NDSU has won five straight FCS titles and ESPN still ignores them on a consistent basis.

I think it comes down to who brings in the most money to help fund the other sports in the athletic department.  Hockey may have hit its max but it still seems like it is bigger than football ever will be as far as funding.

Huh??

One major, major issue with UND and how they allocate funding to programs:

Women's Hockey Total Expenses (2014):  1.3 million

Men's Basketball Total Expenses:              1.1 million.  

There isn't a legitimate AD in the America that would think that is OK.  Our AD is so backwards right now.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

ESPN's "relationship" with NDSU is kind like that girl at the end of the bar that everyone "knows": Not the first, second, or third choice on an evening, but it's there whenever you want it, ready and willing. 

Well played..........

<golf clap>

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Men's Basketball Total Expenses:                       1.1 million.  

There isn't a legitimate AD in the America that would think that is OK.  Our AD is so backwards right now.  

This...^^^

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

Was thinking the same thing. Haven't they had College Gameday in Fargo twice?

And they've kicked off the College Football season last year and this year with their first games being played on ESPN.  If ESPN is ignoring NDSU on a consistent basis, what are they doing to UND/UND Hockey??

Hockey is pretty much maxed out for exposure/revenue.  Time to invest in Football, BBall programs, and volleyball.  Plenty of room to grow revenues in those sports...particularily BBall.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

ESPN's "relationship" with NDSU is kind like that girl at the end of the bar that everyone "knows": Not the first, second, or third choice on an evening, but it's there whenever you want it, ready and willing. 

Unlike the UND girl whom is completely ignored because she's at home waiting for cousin Bubba to show up. 

2 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

And they've kicked off the College Football season last year and this year with their first games being played on ESPN.  If ESPN is ignoring NDSU on a consistent basis, what are they doing to UND/UND Hockey??

Hockey is pretty much maxed out for exposure/revenue.  Time to invest in Football, BBall programs, and volleyball.  Plenty of room to grow revenues in those sports...particularily BBall.

Invest in MBB....agree.  That is the lowest hanging fruit with the potential for biggest return but nothing will get accomplished with BF and BJ in the picture.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Men's Basketball Total Expenses:              1.1 million.  

Apples and oranges. How can you possibly compare dollar-to-dollar a niche, regional/travel-heavy, large-roster, equipment-intensive sport like women's hockey that plays in a makeshift league with mens basketball, one of 300+ programs nationwide that plays in tank tops and sneakers against far more accessible opponents and is based in an established conference. You need a better metric. Try looking at comparable institutions and ratios if you want to make this point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Spot on sir!

• Upvote 1