SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

Just now, TRex said:

Sorry but it's not happening.  People need to understand this.  **Title IX**

What part of Title IX would prevent WIH from being cut? There are places to reallocate scholarships any cut women's scholarships to and UND is more than compliant in multiple areas.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

What part of Title IX would prevent WIH from being cut? There are places to reallocate scholarships any cut women's scholarships to and UND is more than compliant in multiple areas.

Hide and watch.  WH isn't going anywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There seems to be a wide range of opinions on here from our Title IX experts.  Are there any NCAA compliance officers that can clarify UND's standing on this issue?  Just me speculating, but I'd think that dropping men's baseball and men's golf puts UND in a better position vis-a-vis Title IX than UND was at this time last year.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

People also need to understand that Title IX is not an issue when discussing dropping womens hockey.

You can drop womens hockey and still be Title IX compliant.  There are many ways to make that happen.

That is a well-engineered fallacy that has been driven home as presented as fact by people who have an agenda.

So much this ^^^^^

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TRex said:

Hide and watch.  WH isn't going anywhere.

Someone really needs to explain why.   Based on numbers and support it can't be justified when stacked against other women's sports.  Title IX excuse isn't the reason.  

• Upvote 1

Faison met with women's soccer last night to explain that all sports were on the table. He possibly met with other sports? My understanding is that two years ago women's soccer almost got cut.  The players have complained to Faison and Irle for a couple of years on some very questionable tactics by the head coach.  Most schools would have fired him by now.  Quite possibly soccer could get cut to eliminate a problem and future complaints.  Personally I would hate to see it go.  I just don't see them cutting w hockey no matter the financial strain and I'm not a women's hockey fan.  I see 3-4 sports being cut and WH stays.  

2 minutes ago, Sioux63 said:

Faison met with women's soccer last night to explain that all sports were on the table. He possibly met with other sports? My understanding is that two years ago women's soccer almost got cut.  The players have complained to Faison and Irle for a couple of years on some very questionable tactics by the head coach.  Most schools would have fired him by now.  Quite possibly soccer could get cut to eliminate a problem and future complaints.  Personally I would hate to see it go.  I just don't see them cutting w hockey no matter the financial strain and I'm not a women's hockey fan.  I see 3-4 sports being cut and WH stays.  

Oh really?  That is not a good sign as Soccer is just more 'easy pickings' for him and Kennedy.  If they don't address the elephant in the room we will know there are forces behind the scenes.  

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You could very well be right but I can't see a reason that Title IX is the reason why.

To my understanding; facilities, or quality of facilities available to said sports, is apart of Title IX (it's not a great understanding). You'd have to make the Ralph's facilities open for some other women sport(s), otherwise there would be a large discrepancy in quality of facilities offered. I'm sure it's more complicated than than that, but that, along with the money thing and scholarship thing, are taken into large account.

I think there's a huge misunderstanding by most people regarding Title IX because quite frankly it has been sold as such.

UND does not have to meet every single prong and criteria for compliance - they have chosen to.

They could easily drop womens hockey and meet 2 of the 3 prong criteria at minimum.  There would be no issues.

1 minute ago, ericpnelson said:

To my understanding; facilities, or quality of facilities available to said sports, is apart of Title IX (it's not a great understanding). You'd have to make the Ralph's facilities open for some other women sport(s), otherwise there would be a large discrepancy in quality of facilities offered. I'm sure it's more complicated than than that, but that, along with the money thing and scholarship thing, are taken into large account.

If this is the case drop Whcky, and give WBB a fat budget with good amenities. They have had success, had seasons of drawing 3000 plus fans a game, bring in good revenue for a women's sport and have won 3 national titles and the list goes on.

After seeing those numbers on women's hockey I don't see how anyone with any common sense doesn't cut that. Hopefully some on this committee do. I have confidence in Lowell Schweigert, after that we'll see.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Doesn't UND lease the Ralph, just like the Alerus?  Regardless, if UND needs to make the Ralph available for women's sports wouldn't UND need to open the Alerus to other women's sports for the same reason?

6 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Seems like a simple three component process to me.

1)  If the Big Sky doesn't sponsor it, there is no need for North Dakota to offer it, save for mens hockey of course.  Goodbye Women's hockey, and M&W Swimming & Diving.

2)  If the Big Sky doesn't require it, there is no need for North Dakota to offer it.  Goodbye Soccer and Softball.

3)  Fully fund every scholarship in all women's sports to address Title IX concerns.  If that still falls short, then you look at keeping Soccer and/or Softball.

you need to be on the committee!!!!