283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Found it interesting based on first hand knowledge and observations by someone who sees what moves and what doesn't............not wild speculation which you are a fan 

They announced at the unveiling that apparel with the new logo and wordmarks weren't going to be released until mid-August. Knowing that, it shouldn't be a huge surprise that the generic clothing they got out as fast they could isn't exactly flying off the shelves. If you're going to buy some new stuff, why not wait until that comes out. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jdub27 said:

They announced at the unveiling that apparel with the new logo and wordmarks weren't going to be released until mid-August. Knowing that, it shouldn't be a huge surprise that the generic clothing they got out as fast they could isn't exactly flying off the shelves. If you're going to buy some new stuff, why not wait until that comes out. 

Way to backpedal and spin it around to CYA. I have read nothing but verbal diarrhea on this site, you have been one of those spewing it, about how great and awesome the new nickname is and that was well before the logo came out. The fact that people, at least those shopping at Scheels in GF, would rather buy appearal with just UND vs anything with FH on it speaks volume IMO. If you think slapping the new logo on a T-shirt or sweatshirt is going to change that come mid August I kindly disagree.

......and one tangent from yesterday for UND1983. My 15 year old daughter, who was in Scheels with me, commented on how she saw one person shopping that had a FH shirt on...ONE! I saw a number of UND or Fighting Sioux shirts being worn by individuals within the 45 minutes we were in Scheels.  Cool.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Way to backpedal and spin it around to CYA. I have read nothing but verbal diarrhea on this site, you have been one of those spewing it, about how great and awesome the new nickname is and that was well before the logo came out. The fact that people, at least those shopping at Scheels in GF, would rather buy appearal with just UND vs anything with FH on it speaks volume IMO. If you think slapping the new logo on a T-shirt or sweatshirt is going to change that come mid August I kindly disagree.

What exactly am I back pedaling from? I can't think of one time where I said the new name was great and awesome. In fact I've stated it was nowhere near my top choice and is bland but when you let a large group of people make a decision that is what you will get. 

The Fighting Hawks stuff that is out right now is pretty poor looking due to being so generic. The new wordmarks and logo should allow manufacturers to greatly improve the selection. 

Setting aside whether a random Scheels employee has enough data or perspective to meaningfully comment about sales, it seems there are a few different hypotheses:

1.  "Fighting Hawks" merchandise sales did not meet expectations because of lack of demand.

2.  Demand was fine but Scheels ordered too much.

3.  Scheels moved items (including back stock) to the "SALE" rack to accelerate turnover of inventory in anticipation of August release of new merchandise.

Only (1) supports the notion that consumers rejected "Fighting Hawks."  (2) and (3) -- both equally plausible in my mind -- are evidence of normal market forces.

0004202347.jpg0004202000.jpg

I would have never guessed that these jerseys would occupy a single seat in REA or anywhere else, yet, after enough time, plenty of them have popped up.  People want the current look of anything - just look at Twins jerseys when they added copper to the scheme or the Vikings after yet another jersey switch when the Favre era ended.  It's just a matter of time with Fighting Hawks gear.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Setting aside whether a random Scheels employee has enough data or perspective to meaningfully comment about sales, it seems there are a few different hypotheses:

1.  "Fighting Hawks" merchandise sales did not meet expectations because of lack of demand.

2.  Demand was fine but Scheels ordered too much.

3.  Scheels moved items (including back stock) to the "SALE" rack to accelerate turnover of inventory in anticipation of August release of new merchandise.

Only (1) supports the notion that consumers rejected "Fighting Hawks."  (2) and (3) -- both equally plausible in my mind -- are evidence of normal market forces.

So how does the fact no UND fan/alum I know or associate with owns anything FHs on it, not even NC gear which was available, nor have I seen more than a handful of individuals wearing anything FHs on it in the F-M where I live?

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

So how does the fact no UND fan/alum I know or associate with owns anything FHs on it nor have I seen more than a handful of individuals wearing anything FHs on it in the F-M where I live?

Chance? Willful blindness? Who knows?

Are we talking about sales or visibility? Someone certainly has objective sales data, but perception is 100% anecdotal.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So how does the fact no UND fan/alum I know or associate with owns anything FHs on it nor have I seen more than a handful of individuals wearing anything FHs on it in the F-M where I live?

one-herd-we-wont-stop-ndsu-bison-254x254

'Cuz they're wearing something like this?  :glare:

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Chance? Willful blindness? Who knows?

Are we talking about sales or visibility? Someone certainly has objective sales data, but perception is 100% anecdotal.

So lots of people have bought FH gear but just unwilling to wear it in public? Makes sense to me.

Carry on...........

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

one-herd-we-wont-stop-ndsu-bison-254x254

'Cuz they're wearing something like this?  :glare:

........and sadly I have no doubt there are some UND "fans" in the F-M area owning and wearing this exact shirt.

I showed MafiaBoy the logo when it came out (without revealing my own opinion first) and his response was "WOW!  That's WAY better than I expected.  I actually think it's pretty cool."  

My facial expression was probably similar to the time Quiet Riot or Ratt popped up on my iPod and he said "can you turn this crap and find something good?"  :lol:

12 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I showed MafiaBoy the logo when it came out (without revealing my own opinion first) and his response was "WOW!  That's WAY better than I expected.  I actually think it's pretty cool."  

My facial expression was probably similar to the time Quiet Riot or Ratt popped up on my iPod and he said "can you turn this crap and find something good?"  :lol:

Out of the mouths of babes. Hey, I grew up a Midget..... And learned to love it. So it's tough for me to be too hard any new nickname and logo.  :)

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

......and one tangent from yesterday for UND1983. My 15 year old daughter, who was in Scheels with me, commented on how she saw one person shopping that had a FH shirt on...ONE! I saw a number of UND or Fighting Sioux shirts being worn by individuals within the 45 minutes we were in Scheels.  Cool.

Show us the posts of all those people that said how great and awesome the new name is....

You mean to tell me that your daughter only saw ONE person with a Hawks shirt on BUT saw multiple people wearing UND/ Sioux stuff?  I need to hear more.  That is f'n exhilarating.  

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

You mean to tell me that your daughter only saw ONE person with a Hawks shirt on BUT saw multiple people wearing UND/ Sioux stuff?  I need to hear more.  That is f'n exhilarating.  

Exhilarating...I know right?! Especially for someone like you.

Cool story I know.

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

1. I am clearly in the camp that thought "Fighting Hawks" was a weak, unimpressive choice. 
2. I'm closer to MafiaBoy's reaction than I care to admit. Why? Low expectations from a weak, unimpressive name. 

I suspect many folks aren't buying gear right now for the simple reason that they want to see what is rolled out for the start of school. 

And finally, now I have to find some other tunes that Mafia won't admit are on his iPod. ;) 

5 hours ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

Ok not being political, but I just had to post this after watching a segment from the TBS show "Full Frontal,"  during their RNC coverage. I saw some Fighting Sioux representation...VXCIik7R.png
cool, but that name/logo is old school. I'm all about that new bird name, and that sick bird logo. Go Birds!

He looks sad. Why is he so glum? He still gets to wear the greatest nickname and logo in the history of mankind! 

• Upvote 1