SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

12 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Unless he get permission. FYI he has already been invited to our tailgate and he can broadcast from there. I also dont think they will be restricted at away games.

Only if your tailgate spot isn't on Fargodome property.

14 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I don't think print media are excluded from interviewing coaches since they don't award a print contract. He can't do a recorded interview for radio or TV though, like on Kolpack and Izzo. I could be wrong though.

Brad could post an interview on his blog, Kolpack can't.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Brad does a live blog during the game and can interview the head coach during the season. Kolpack can do neither. 

Does it say print media can't interview coaches? My guess is if he wants an interview for a newspaper column, he will get it. I would guess he has always called the athletic department to get to Klieman in the past anyway. They won't deny an interview for a newspaper column. Do you think if Schlossy wanted an interview with Hak he just called his home phone? I don't think so.

41 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Unless he get permission. FYI he has already been invited to our tailgate and he can broadcast from there. I also dont think they will be restricted at away games.

If he breaks any of the rules, NDSU won't hesitate to pull his credential.  He'll know not to test the boundaries after they have restricted him so much.

On 7/29/2016 at 11:55 PM, bison73 said:

I think JJ has gotten full of himself. I dont like this at all. Restricting access? You gotta be kidding me. In North Dakota?????? You need as much exposure as you can get.

On 7/30/2016 at 3:39 PM, Bison06 said:

Granted I don't understand the ins and outs of the media business and if this this is the right move business wise for NDSU, but on its face this feels like a HUGE mistake to me and feels very wrong. Kolpack and Izzo specifically have, in my mind, become synonymous with NDSU football and deserve more than they seem to be getting with this new deal. I can't understand how this could possibly be a good thing for NDSU sports.

On 7/31/2016 at 8:04 AM, nd1sufan said:

There are no winners here. Jeremy Jorgensen should be fired and sent back to Montana. I had high hopes for Mat Larsen, but if this was his idea he should be let go too. I can see maybe restricting live interviews with head coaches on game day, but not entirely in season. And Imcan see not allowing live video from INSIDE an arena or stadium on game day, but they are being ridiculous. And no, not everybody is doing it. Most colleges would take all of the coverage they can get. They want everybody to tune into their new station on Monday. The problem is nobody knows what that station is. I hope nobody listens. 

I follow Bisonation on twitter but I don't go to Bisonville so I don't know how they are reacting, but Bisonation is defending the policy. The people that are defending it are equal to the Republicans that actually support Donald Trump. If the Republicans nominated him he must be all right. Just because the NDSU athletic adminstration made a decisIon doesn't mean it is a right decision. 

I was thinking about sucking it up and paying their per seat fee for 4 MBB season tickets this year. I am not going to anymore. 

When 3 Bison fans who post on a rival message board (usually to talk smack) come on here and say how ridiculous this deal is, you know this deal is bad.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

Not a chance since I'm guessing you tailgate in the Fargodome parking lots. How exactly does inviting him get around this?

Radio stations without current broadcast rights agreements shall not originate programming from NDSU facilities or grounds, including the Fargodome and its parking lots, on the day of an NDSU football or basketball game. This includes all pregame and postgame coverage.

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Will be interesting to see the numbers for the deals NDSU signed with RFM and KVLY.  Must be a pretty penny considering the exclusivity of the deal!!   

The KVLY portion was $1.2M over 3 years, and we've heard the RFM deal includes 30% of the gross advertising. Don't know much more than that or what the Midco portion of the deal is.

25 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

The KVLY portion was $1.2M over 3 years, and we've heard the RFM deal includes 30% of the gross advertising. Don't know much more than that or what the Midco portion of the deal is.

Not quite. They are only generating revenue (either all or part) when it is NDSU related programming. Very curious on what the projections for the actual radio station looked like because there isn't exactly a ton of profit in radio to begin with and to compound that, they aren't taking any cuts on the advertising during the programming that will bring in the largest amount of listeners.

NDSU's contract for radio broadcast rights, which calls for the creation of a station devoted solely to Bison athletics coverage, provides the university with all advertising revenue from the broadcasts of games, post-game and pre-game shows and coach's shows. The university gets 30 percent of revenue generated by all other Bison-related radio content.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Not quite. They are only generating revenue (either all or part) when it is NDSU related programming. Very curious on what the projections for the actual radio station looked like because there isn't exactly a ton of profit in radio to begin with and to compound that, they aren't taking any cuts on the advertising during the programming that will bring in the largest amount of listeners.

Sorry, thought that was implied. That's actually I better deal than I thought. I thought it was 30% for all Bison programming. Didn't know it was 100% for the games and coach's shows.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

When 3 Bison fans who post on a rival message board (usually to talk smack) come on here and say how ridiculous this deal is, you know this deal is bad.

I've got a spot reserved for you with me at the teeter-totter on NIMH's playground asylum.

I think I'm still in 'timeout' and waiting to be included with the adults again.

You just can't be saying things like this.  Cmon man, you're better. ;)

• Upvote 1

On 7/30/2016 at 11:00 PM, bison73 said:

From what I understand is  WDAY-Foolum were offerded the rights. They said fine they would pay the money but if you dont win 8 games you start paying us. The negotiations went down hill from there.

That would surprise me not at all. I suspect ForumComm has sales and revenue data (for print, radio, and TV) that shows what their break-even points are based on team records. (Who knows what else might be on that pivot table.) 

1 hour ago, Hammersmith said:

Sorry, thought that was implied. That's actually I better deal than I thought. I thought it was 30% for all Bison programming. Didn't know it was 100% for the games and coach's shows.

I keep seeing the number of 30% of gross advertising revenues being tossed around like it is 30% of everything the radio station brings in which comes across as pretty misleading (and not accusing you of doing it intentionally either). My assumption is that "bison-related content" excludes all of the daytime talk radio and will be things like game replays. Good deal for NDSU on getting all the advertising dollars from the games and the pre and post shows included as well but I'm still curious how financially viable this is for Radio Fargo Moorhead when they aren't getting a cut of what should be the biggest money maker out of the whole deal (live games). We'd probably know more if they would release the contract but I guess as of Friday, they still didn't have it signed. Lot of unknown details that could change who and how it financially benefits.

43 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I keep seeing the number of 30% of gross advertising revenues being tossed around like it is 30% of everything the radio station brings in which comes across as pretty misleading (and not accusing you of doing it intentionally either). My assumption is that "bison-related content" excludes all of the daytime talk radio and will be things like game replays. Good deal for NDSU on getting all the advertising dollars from the games and the pre and post shows included as well but I'm still curious how financially viable this is for Radio Fargo Moorhead when they aren't getting a cut of what should be the biggest money maker out of the whole deal (live games). We'd probably know more if they would release the contract but I guess as of Friday, they still didn't have it signed. Lot of unknown details that could change who and how it financially benefits.

I actually think it includes the Bison-themed talk radio. They have a lunchtime show called "The Insiders" featuring Jeff Culhane and JJ. I guess Cowherd was on after. There will be a second local show starting in a week or two. I think NDSU gets 30% of the ad revenue during The Insiders and the upcoming show, but nothing from stuff like the Cowherd show.

23 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

I actually think it includes the Bison-themed talk radio. They have a lunchtime show called "The Insiders" featuring Jeff Culhane and JJ. I guess Cowherd was on after. I think NDSU gets 30% of the ad revenue during The Insiders, but nothing from stuff like the Cowherd show.

For a few different reasons, I'm not sure it does but I'll admit that it's more of an educated guess than anything and I could be incorrect. I guess the only way to know one way or another is if/when the contract comes out and since Forum Comm has already requested it once, it will eventually makes its way out. It could probably go either way since the wording in the story was so vague but again, I think a lot of it comes down to financial viability. If they are giving away 30% of their revenue from 11-1 and 4-6 on top of everything from games and pre/post shows, I don't see how they are going to be able to make it. Then again, 1660 previously had brutal ratings and I can't imagine was exactly making any money, though that without having to stick any money into it, which they won't be doing now.

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Not a chance since I'm guessing you tailgate in the Fargodome parking lots. How exactly does inviting him get around this?

Radio stations without current broadcast rights agreements shall not originate programming from NDSU facilities or grounds, including the Fargodome and its parking lots, on the day of an NDSU football or basketball game. This includes all pregame and postgame coverage.

After taking to a bunch of people in the know this is a great deal for NDSU. JJ should have  crafted his words differently. He made it sound worse than what it is. Granted some  of the media will have to adapt as they wont have free reign as in the past but it also wont be as restrictive as I first thought. I had a bit of knee jerk reaction that bit me in the butt this time around..