SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA On Campus Playoffs

petey23

With the WCHA vacating the Excel Energy Center next year it is time for the NCHC to make a move.

Option A----notify the Target Center that they would like to modify their agreement and in 2017 they will be using the Excel and beginning in 2018 they will use the Target Center every other year alternating with the Excel Energy Center.

Option B----if the Target Center is not agreeable with the contract change, then finish out the agreement in 2017 and 2018 and starting in 2019 begin play at the Excel Energy Center and alternating with Sioux Falls.

I won't be surprised if after the five year deal with Target Center is finished that the NCHC also goes back to on campus playoffs.  There is simply more money in it.  Three games in front of 10,000 people each at Target/Xcel to find a winner out of the last four teams, or three, best two out of three series played on campus.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

My apologies. 

It's not a done deal yet, so it could change a bit, and perhaps they only have initial rounds on campus sites.  For our purposes, I hope they have their whole tourney on campus sites.  Of course, it would take a year or two without UND at our conference tourney, and campus sites would be looking good to NCHC administration as well.  As SJHovey said, it might even look good to them now.  It is just depressing how we went from the best tournament and a spectacle to everybody needing to scramble to make something good of the situation.  Thanks Big Ten!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There is no reason to move the tourney from the twin cities area because the attendance is great for the NCHC. The WCHA and big ten need to use campus sites because the attendance is so poor in a neutral location. The question is how large will attendance be if it was in Sioux Falls ? 

We should secure the xcel energy center and only rotate with the target center as needed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

If you ask me, don't stop at the conference level.  Get rid of the bye week and take the national round of 16 and the quarterfinals to campus as well!  

The Eastern teams won't agree with this because, in theory it gives Western teams an unfair advantage.

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

There is no reason to move the tourney from the twin cities area because the attendance is great for the NCHC. The WCHA and big ten need to use campus sites because the attendance is so poor in a neutral location. The question is how large will attendance be if it was in Sioux Falls ? 

We should secure the xcel energy center and only rotate with the target center as needed.

It's fine in the Twin Cities as long as UND makes it. Otherwise it will be the pretty similar to what the WCHA and B1G tournaments looked like.

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I wouldn't exactly describe attendance at the NCHC tournament as "great."  It's "not pathetic," certainly, and not at that stage where social media commentators are going to mock it with photos and the like.  But let's be candid, it's smaller than attendance at an average UND home game, and the NCHC has dodged major bullets thus far as a result of UND's presence at the event.

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

I wouldn't exactly describe attendance at the NCHC tournament as "great."  It's "not pathetic," certainly, and not at that stage where social media commentators are going to mock it with photos and the like.  But let's be candid, it's smaller than attendance at an average UND home game, and the NCHC has dodged major bullets thus far as a result of UND's presence at the event.

Imagine if Miami, Western Michigan, CC, and Denver made it. 

43 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Frozen faceoff is Second in the nation in attendance. I'd say that is pretty good.

UND hasn't missed a post conference tournament since how long?

I think the NCHC is willing to take the risk of UND being at the Frozen Faceoff the majority of the time.  Heck, even if we didn't make it, there would still probably be a couple thousand UND fans there!!

9 hours ago, petey23 said:

With the WCHA vacating the Excel Energy Center this coming season, it is time for the NCHC to make a move.

Option A----notify the Target Center that they would like to 86 their contract and begin play immediately at the X.  

Option B----if the Target Center folks say "no," blow it up and begin play immediately at the X.

Better options - see your revised post quote above.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I think the NCHC is willing to take the risk of UND being at the Frozen Faceoff the majority of the time.  Heck, even if we didn't make it, there would still probably be a couple thousand UND fans there!!

Maybe a couple dozen...

15 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I have been to a Final Five without UND there.  A couple thousand?  Not even a couple hundred.