SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

On the issue of east-west "balance of power", the Atlantic Hockey increases scholarships to maximum 18 allowed:

http://atlantichockeyonline.com/news/2016/9/7/MHOCKEY_0907163448.aspx

This will most likely impact Hockey East and ECAC, if only a little, as guys who might have otherwise taken a 75%-ride at a BC/BU/New Hampshire will more likely have a full ride at Atlantic Hockey on the table to consider.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So I never realized this but apparently Eastern Washington not only has hockey but they compete in the BCHL , along with simon Fraiser which is another school I have heard metionioned as a potential NCAA hockey school. Any thoughs on Eastern Washington?

EWU club hockey plays in the BCIHL, not the BCHL
http://www.ewueagleshockey.com/leagues/front_pageesdNew.cfm?clientID=5690&leagueID=22821

I would like to see expansion of collegiate hockey to encompass all parts of the US, so as to non-regionalize the game....I really like hockey...However, I have been accused by moderators of this site as 'hating' hockey with a threat of banishment for my thoughts.  I have followed UND hockey since the mid-1950's, listening to games on the radio with my father and uncles.  In fact as a young boy attended a UND game at the 'old barn'....I was pretty young, and do not remember who was playing; but do remember that I was cold. Going way back to those days, UND teams had talent, determination, and played and won with, humility.  Those characteristics have been prevalent thru 50-60 years. The teams commencing about 2007-08 still were rife with talent and determination; however, the winning with humility gradually gave way to a sense of 'arrogance'..Success can still foster humility, but, for me, the 'feel' has changed.  UND is not alone in this. The football program at NDSU also has demonstrated high levels of talent, determination....but not so much humility.

I forsee success for UND football with improved talent, determination....but I don't think Bubba could ever lead a program without instilling a 'win with humility' concept.

I do love hockey...and oft would scrape snow off the 'coulee' behind the barn to create a sheet on which to play.

Banished for expression of thought???? I hope not...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, John W. said:

I would like to see expansion of collegiate hockey to encompass all parts of the US, so as to non-regionalize the game....I really like hockey...However, I have been accused by moderators of this site as 'hating' hockey with a threat of banishment for my thoughts.  I have followed UND hockey since the mid-1950's, listening to games on the radio with my father and uncles.  In fact as a young boy attended a UND game at the 'old barn'....I was pretty young, and do not remember who was playing; but do remember that I was cold. Going way back to those days, UND teams had talent, determination, and played and won with, humility.  Those characteristics have been prevalent thru 50-60 years. The teams commencing about 2007-08 still were rife with talent and determination; however, the winning with humility gradually gave way to a sense of 'arrogance'..Success can still foster humility, but, for me, the 'feel' has changed.  UND is not alone in this. The football program at NDSU also has demonstrated high levels of talent, determination....but not so much humility.

I forsee success for UND football with improved talent, determination....but I don't think Bubba could ever lead a program without instilling a 'win with humility' concept.

I do love hockey...and oft would scrape snow off the 'coulee' behind the barn to create a sheet on which to play.

When you post the following, you're going to shorten your leash.  

Back to Gopherhole and civilization   Just wanted to test the MN wannabees'. Thanks for not disappointing! !!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not ashamed to say....living in MN I am first a Gopher fan and second a UND fan....I also can 'flame' on occasion, but just a reaction to lack of humility.....J. Robinson, recently fired wresting coach at the U...was a success.....but thought 'he' was bigger than the 'game' he coached...lack of humility....Don't like that....no matter where/when or what!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, John W. said:

The teams commencing about 2007-08 still were rife with talent and determination; however, the winning with humility gradually gave way to a sense of 'arrogance'..Success can still foster humility, but, for me, the 'feel' has changed. 

How so?

35 minutes ago, John W. said:

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, John W. said:

Care to give examples of this arrogance?  I remember gophers doing the jersey popping.  Don't think you see the excessive celebrations by UND players compared with much of the rest of the college hockey world.  Yes, there are some instances, but as a whole, I think UND has frowned on the "me, me" type celebrations. 

• Downvote 1

Not defending Lucia by any stretch....he is on a short leash because of his lack of recent success...but the rivalry was ceased because of the BIG stopping matches with schools with unapproved names...ie. Iowa backed out of a UND BB game for same reason...Once UND got that behind them...the rivalry continues...good for both schools...But.....lets unleash the elephant in the room....the 'arrogance' was/is not because of the action of the kids on the ice....as they are just that, kids...but  behind the bench....a view held by several adults in the GF community....Again, lack of humility...where, just like J Robinson..."I am greater than the university or the game i coach'...kapeesh?????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

10 minutes ago, John W. said:

Not defending Lucia by any stretch....he is on a short leash because of his lack of recent success...but the rivalry was ceased because of the BIG stopping matches with schools with unapproved names...ie. Iowa backed out of a UND BB game for same reason...Once UND got that behind them...the rivalry continues...good for both schools...But.....lets unleash the elephant in the room....the 'arrogance' was/is not because of the action of the kids on the ice....as they are just that, kids...but  behind the bench....a view held by several adults in the GF community....Again, lack of humility...where, just like J Robinson..."I am greater than the university or the game i coach'...kapeesh?????

Not that short of a lease......two year extension was just signed. Not a fan of Lucia, but the man deserves far more respect than he is given. In the last five years, the gophers have had five straight regular season titles, 1 NCAA title game, 2 Frozen Four Appearances. He's has had recent success and let's not forget two national titles.  Red Berenson hasn't won a title since 1998 and the Michigan faithful are letting him go out on his own terms.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, John W. said:

So as of 2007-08 some or all of the UND coaches were deemed arrogant by several adults in GF?  Ummm, okay. :)

Note:  Brad Berry was gone after 2006 so that leaves Eades and Jackson assisting Hak.

2 hours ago, John W. said:

Not ashamed to say....living in MN I am first a Gopher fan and second a UND fan....I also can 'flame' on occasion, but just a reaction to lack of humility.....J. Robinson, recently fired wresting coach at the U...was a success.....but thought 'he' was bigger than the 'game' he coached...lack of humility....Don't like that....no matter where/when or what!!!!

How can you....want more humility or complain about a teams lacking of it and say you are a "Gopher fan"? Those two things are NEVER connected! 

• Downvote 1

You are making my point about arrogance of the program.....You all know which coach is referenced....Barry does seem like a nice guy....and was what the program needed....Wish him nothing but the best....immediate preceding coach...not so much....Philly is a non-forgiving sports town....Carson Wentz...beware!!!!!!!

Come on posters...be classier than the Bizon FB followers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, John W. said:

You are making my point about arrogance of the program.....You all know which coach is referenced....Barry does seem like a nice guy....and was what the program needed....Wish him nothing but the best....immediate preceding coach...not so much....Philly is a non-forgiving sports town....Carson Wentz...beware!!!!!!!

Come on posters...be classier than the Bizon FB followers

gfhockey?

Wasn't the direction I expected John W. to go. I disagree 100% on his view of the Coaching staffs.

Now if he wanted to make the case that some of our fan base is starting to reach gopher fan level arrogance and condescension I would have to unfortunately concede a little bit to this. Can't remember which thread it was but I hinted at this 2-3 months ago as well.:(