SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

7 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Wasn't the direction I expected John W. to go. I disagree 100% on his view of the Coaching staffs.

Now if he wanted to make the case that some of our fan base is starting to reach gopher fan level arrogance and condescension I would have to unfortunately concede a little bit to this. Can't remember which thread it was but I hinted at this 2-3 months ago as well.:(

I am with you on that as well.  It scares me to think that our fan base could reach the level of arrogance where they think that every player on their team is a complete angel, while every player on their rival is a cheap hack, even though most of the same players were recruited by both teams.    I still hold out hope for us as a fan base, because the arrogance isn't quite as prevalent in the media here that will indoctrinate the majority, but make no mistake, there are those that think our guys are saints as well. 

38 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

How can you....want more humility or complain about a teams lacking of it and say you are a "Gopher fan"? Those two things are NEVER connected! 

You can't make this stuff up.  Where would UND be without the Gofer fans acting as a guide or social barometer? :) 

So John W. has an axe to grind with Hakstol...I guess that means they won't be going bowling together anytime soon.

On 9/9/2016 at 10:59 AM, John W. said:

I would like to see expansion of collegiate hockey to encompass all parts of the US, so as to non-regionalize the game....I really like hockey...However, I have been accused by moderators of this site as 'hating' hockey with a threat of banishment for my thoughts.  I have followed UND hockey since the mid-1950's, listening to games on the radio with my father and uncles.  In fact as a young boy attended a UND game at the 'old barn'....I was pretty young, and do not remember who was playing; but do remember that I was cold. Going way back to those days, UND teams had talent, determination, and played and won with, humility.  Those characteristics have been prevalent thru 50-60 years. The teams commencing about 2007-08 still were rife with talent and determination; however, the winning with humility gradually gave way to a sense of 'arrogance'..Success can still foster humility, but, for me, the 'feel' has changed.  UND is not alone in this. The football program at NDSU also has demonstrated high levels of talent, determination....but not so much humility.

I forsee success for UND football with improved talent, determination....but I don't think Bubba could ever lead a program without instilling a 'win with humility' concept.

I do love hockey...and oft would scrape snow off the 'coulee' behind the barn to create a sheet on which to play.

Banished for expression of thought???? I hope not...

I watched a lot of games at the old barn.  I also disagree with your claim that UND has played without arrogance for 50 - 60 years until Hak came along.  Arrogant fans are a pain in the arse, and there will be more at UND if another banner comes our way in the near future.  But whatever Hak's faults were, I don't believe you can justify your claim that he created a culture of arrogance.  I think the culture he created was excellent.   His big game coaching skills may have lacked something, but his character was A-1 in my opinion.  

• Upvote 2

On 9/9/2016 at 0:44 PM, John W. said:

Not defending Lucia by any stretch....he is on a short leash because of his lack of recent success...but the rivalry was ceased because of the BIG stopping matches with schools with unapproved names...ie. Iowa backed out of a UND BB game for same reason...Once UND got that behind them...the rivalry continues...good for both schools...But.....lets unleash the elephant in the room....the 'arrogance' was/is not because of the action of the kids on the ice....as they are just that, kids...but  behind the bench....a view held by several adults in the GF community....Again, lack of humility...where, just like J Robinson..."I am greater than the university or the game i coach'...kapeesh?????

I am not trying to poke you or cause any flaming here, but if it is possible try to find recordings of interviews with Gopher players and with UND players.  I know you are talking about off-ice individuals here, but I believe this is a key difference between the two programs.  I have payed very close attention over the past 15 years or so to what players say in interviews and one key difference has really stood out.  When Gopher players are interviewed and asked questions about themselves or their performance, they answer with "me" type information.  And that is what the interviewer asked for.  When UND players are interviewed, any specific questions asked about their performance, the player always turns the response into a "we" type response or provides credit to other players who put them into position to succeed.

With respect to fan bases, all will have idiots who make fools of themselves, usually alcohol infused.  I have had unpleasant experiences with Gopher fans but I have also developed friendships with some Gopher fans.  The worst situation I ever experienced though was with a Mankato fan who harrassed me and actually accosted me in the hallway on the way to the men's room.  I had never spoken to him, nor even looked at him but he taunted me from above for over two periods and after challenging me in the concourse the ushers excused him from the game.

Can we now get to the hockey games, please?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

BC fans say that Quinnipiac loves the Ivy association too much to leave.  Q is working on its academic side, mostly business I think, and playing Harvard, Yale, Brown etc is something worth alot to their admin.

Holy Cross could have joined the Big East way back and now they regret it.  Hockey is a way they can renew rivalries with Catholic schools like BC, Providence, and Merrimack.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

BC fans say that Quinnipiac loves the Ivy association too much to leave.  Q is working on its academic side, mostly business I think, and playing Harvard, Yale, Brown etc is something worth alot to their admin.

Holy Cross could have joined the Big East way back and now they regret it.  Hockey is a way they can renew rivalries with Catholic schools like BC, Providence, and Merrimack.

Figured it had to be HC or Bentley.  Shocked at the size of HC's endowment, not that it's the best measure of a school's caliber but they can afford to up the ante in hockey.  Wonder if the invite would still be extended if it weren't for their program's marquee win...

58 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Has there been anymore chatter down south in Fargo about starting D-I hockey? Also, has there been any talk or consideration of adding hockey at either of the South Dakota schools?

If UND keeps hosting regionals there you'd think NDSU would be upset about that. 

6 hours ago, cberkas said:

Miami commit, Joey Keane, signs with the Barrie Colts of the OHL.

They seem to keep taking the hits with defections.  I wonder if Tyler Biggs wishes he were further along in his education right about now.  A first round pick that is going down in leagues, not up.   http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=121437

On September 14, 2016 at 9:52 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Correct.  Quinnipiac's rivalry with Yale had really kicked up in the past few seasons and Harvard's in the mix too.  No way QU leaves the ECAC.

On 9/15/2016 at 0:41 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Figured it had to be HC or Bentley.  Shocked at the size of HC's endowment, not that it's the best measure of a school's caliber but they can afford to up the ante in hockey.  Wonder if the invite would still be extended if it weren't for their program's marquee win...

I bet the 2006 game had nothing to do with it.

HC and BC were huge traditional rivals, both in football and basketball.  You can get a flavor of this if you watch the ESPN 30 For 30 movie on the BC basketball point shaving scheme.

As I understand it, in the last 20-25 years that dropped off quite a bit, as BC elected to exclude HC from it's schedule.  But I recall reading somewhere that there has been a big push by BC alumni in the last 5 years or so to renew the HC rivalry in both basketball and football.  If BC has any pull in Hockey East, I suspect their vote would be HC.

6 hours ago, cberkas said:

A Gopher fan on USCHO finally has an answer to make the B1G better in hockey (I think he's a Gopher fan). His idea is that NCAA hockey should have a I-AA division so the B1G will be able to compete:D.  

Now, that's really funny.  Good 1!  Enjoy, while it lasts!

The B1G will play great hockey some day.

Keep in mind, outside of UND, the B1G still drew a lot of fans, compared to the rest of college hockey.  Don't be fooled by a few pictures of the games that looked pretty empty.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, cberkas said:

If UND keeps hosting regionals there you'd think NDSU would be upset about that. 

I would think to some degree. We need to have college hockey regionals on college rinks to bring up attendance. Then, we don't worry what NDSU thinks?