SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

There is some complaining about all the major penalties during the exhibition games against the Canadian Universities.

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

I saw some of those box scores and I heard a lot of complaining from fans of teams that I deem as chippy themselves so I wonder how much of it is brought on by their own teams. 

There was a lot of complaining out of Quinnipiac fans and I think we all know that's a pretty chippy team.

Since I love numbers, and and have nothing better to do during the intermission for UMD vs Michigan Tech, here are some facts from last night:

Out East, 12 games, 556 PIM on the Canadians vs 338 PIM on the US colleges.  33 Majors & Misconducts on the Canadians vs 16 on the US collegians.

Out West, 7 games.  PIM: 202 vs 189. 13 Majors/Misconducts on the Canadians vs 9 on the US collegians.

Also, out East, the Americans were 7 wins, 4 losses, 1 tie. Out West, the US was 6-1.

So, is it the Hockey East refs saving the guys who pay their salaries by being punitive on the Canadians?  Or is it because US college hockey is drifting further away from the physical boys-will-be-boys that the Canadians play?   

3 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Since I love numbers, and and have nothing better to do during the intermission for UMD vs Michigan Tech, here are some facts from last night:

Out East, 12 games, 556 PIM on the Canadians vs 338 PIM on the US colleges.  33 Majors & Misconducts on the Canadians vs 16 on the US collegians.

Out West, 7 games.  PIM: 202 vs 189. 13 Majors/Misconducts on the Canadians vs 9 on the US collegians.

Also, out East, the Americans were 7 wins, 4 losses, 1 tie. Out West, the US was 6-1.

So, is it the Hockey East refs saving the guys who pay their salaries by being punitive on the Canadians?  Or is it because US college hockey is drifting further away from the physical boys-will-be-boys that the Canadians play?   

I've always felt the refs in the eastern conferences call more penalties that involve hitting then the western conferences did.

9 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I think part of it, Farce, is that these Canadian teams usually do not have the talent NCAA D1 teams have and a more physical game is one way to slow the yanks down (even though many of the "yanks" are "nucks").    It's true that Canadians play a more physical game, but there is a little strategizing going on too, IMO.  When the opponent is faster and more skilled, you try to slow them down.

18 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I've always felt the refs in the eastern conferences call more penalties that involve hitting then the western conferences did.

Yeah, ever since my first games out East (1980 in Providence) where the local paper accused UND of "an extraordinary amount of elbows and stickwork", I've certainly agreed with that.  

15 minutes ago, burd said:

I think part of it, Farce, is that these Canadian teams usually do not have the talent NCAA D1 teams have and a more physical game is one way to slow the yanks down (even though many of the "yanks" are "nucks").    It's true that Canadians play a more physical game, but there is a little strategizing going on too, IMO.  When the opponent is faster and more skilled, you try to slow them down.

Point well taken.   

I will note that last night, the NCHC refs handed PP's out evenly, 26-27.   The HEA games (7) were 56-79, pretty heavily skewed to favor the US.  Yes, that's over 11 PP's on average to US teams with many of them majors awarded to HEA teams that were trailing.  So unless the western Canadian teams are less penalty prone, than their eastern brethren, I find myself wondering about eastern US college refereeing standards. 

Without seeing how the games were actually played, I can't say its unfair.      

On 10/1/2016 at 7:19 PM, #MACtion said:

Miami is ready:

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=DSrJe5K1CHY

Lets go play hockey!

2016 Season is underway.

What an awesome video! I know Denver is assuming the role and deservably so, to be the next Gopher type team rival for the Sioux, but it would be great if Miami took that spot! It's is always fun when Miami comes to town, would make it better if they brought a bunch of rapid fans! That's where I think Miami could take the spot from Denver, Denver fans go nowhere!

But if Badgers coach Tony Granato had it his way, this season would be the last where old rival North Dakota doesn’t appear on the schedule.

“I would like to play them every year,” he said. “For me, North Dakota-Wisconsin is a must-have on the schedule. There’s too much history. And they want the same, talking to their coaches.

“It’d be nice if they were in our league but they’re not, so let’s find a way to play them every year and keep that going.”

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-return-to-resch-center-on-horizon/article_2deeccb1-2f39-56c3-b259-516dbfc9428f.html

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, rhenry8439 said:

I didn't know they gave out participation trophies??????? where are UND's????

Neither did i. Are there both runner up and frozen four trophies? If so there must be a storage closet full somewhere in the Ralph

• Upvote 2

Well, the last time I saw the 2001 "National Finalist" trophy, Jeff Panzer and Bryan Lundbohm had it in a gate area in the Albany (NY) airport.

Panzer set the trophy on the ground, sat down, put his feet up on it and yelled to David Lundbohm (who was coming down the concourse), "Hey, Dave, this is all this thing is good for." 

That's hung and stung on me since then, or, well, up to say April 2016. ;):D

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Well, you have to have something when your two NCAA trophies say "Second Place Team" and "Semi-Finalist". 

12 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

It is, I didn't notice that! Why would you show a video with trophies in their hands like they are NCAA Champions!

Weird!

So you're only allowed to hype your program if you have a minimum of 8 national championships?  

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

So you're only allowed to hype your program if you have a minimum of 8 national championships?  

Not sure anyone said that?? But when I watched that video I thought they had won 2 championships. 

Like I said, that seems like a weird video to see players holding a trophy, celebrating a victory, but they are holding a 2nd place trophy. That's all I said, to each their own I guess.... just my thoughts...

17 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Well, you have to have something when your two NCAA trophies say "Second Place Team" and "Semi-Finalist". 

They give out a regional champion one too. Most likely they are down by the coaches offices. I thought you could see them when Brad gave the tour of the remodel. I noticed them with the two Broadmoor Trophies in the display case.

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

They give out a regional champion one too. 

Under the current format (and when Miami won theirs) "Regional Champion" == "National Semifinalist". 

By definition, Frozen Four attendees are National Semifinalists. :)