SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Cleaning it up, making it modern and new, were and are sound moves. 

I remember there was alot of people upset a few years back when UND was tearing down old buildings. I was one of them. Granted there was a void in areas for a few years but the campus is almost unrecognizable now. That's a compliment. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

I remember there was alot of people upset a few years back when UND was tearing down old buildings. I was one of them. Granted there was a void in areas for a few years but the campus is almost unrecognizable now. That's a compliment. 

Tearing down the old buildings reduced maintenance cost which help our overall development of new buildings.

Tearing buildings down for "deferred maintenance" has always been a ploy to help build new ones since the dawn of time.

*tears down student housing.

....two years later.

"We have a housing shortage on campus. We need new ones. Give us money please."

....All the new "UND Housing" being constructed right now on campus is coming along nicely.

11 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If you think UND got raked across the coals for cutting Women's Hockey during a budget crisis

How do you think it will look if NDSU did that while cutting academics to pay for it?

By going FBS.  More scholarships for Men sports will need more women's sport scholarships.  The fireworks would be explosive.

It's good to know people who know people (i.e. my sources).

It was an ugly week at NDSU, and it's going to get uglier when this biennium's Legislature opens. 

Cook wasn't kidding when he said this: https://www.wdayradionow.com/news/local-news/55848-even-bison-football-is-on-the-table-for-review-as-ndsu-president-david-cook 

The NDSU Engineering school had $942,000.00 lopped from their budget by the provost yesterday.

Their Pharm school class is half the size (from ~100 to mid 50s) of just a few years ago.

And that's before as I said, this Legislature. The ugly hits are still on the way. 

NDSU has some serious work to catch up on. 

Looking back Interim President Schafer and President Kennedy did some things that really upset people, but as it turns out they did pretty well for UND going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• The Sicatoka changed the title to NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)
  • 1 month later...

I'm surprised this isn't getting more coverage:

https://www.wdayradionow.com/news/local-news/57409-seven-colleges-at-ndsu-could-be-reduced-to-as-few-as-four-in-possible-cost 

The seven colleges that currently make up North Dakota State University could soon be combined to form a total of four or five colleges in response to pending budget cuts, according to NDSU President Dr. David Cook. ...

... Cook says he plans to announce detailed cost cutting moves in January. 

They needed a Schafer and Kennedy back when UND had them. Now it's just ugly possibilities for NDSU. 

They'd better have a plan going into this Legislative session or it'll reflect poorly on not just them. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

https://www.wdayradionow.com/news/local-news/57409-seven-colleges-at-ndsu-could-be-reduced-to-as-few-as-four-in-possible-cost 

They needed a Schafer and Kennedy back when UND had them. Now it's just ugly possibilities for NDSU. 

They'd better have a plan going into this Legislative session or it'll reflect poorly on not just them. 

When the numbers to cut come out the fireworks will begin.

I wonder which NDSU colleges are on the chopping block?

The NDSU seven of today:
College of Agriculture, Food Systems and Natural Resources.
College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
College of Business.
College of Engineering.
College of Health Professions.
College of Human Development and Education.
College of Science and Mathematics.
College of University Studies.

UND Educational Units:
College of Arts & Sciences
College of Business & Public Administration
College of Education & Human Development
College of Engineering & Mines
College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines
John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences

School of Law
School of Medicine & Health Sciences

Affiliated entities (budgetary units):
Chester Fritz Library
Energy & Environmental Research Center
Essential Studies Program
The Digital Press at the University of North Dakota
UND Art Collections

46 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

I wonder which NDSU colleges are on the chopping block?

Here it comes, harsh:
The NDSU elementary education program isn't. It grants the education degree from Valley City State. It should be re-thought. 

... students are concurrently enrolled in the human development and family science (HDFS) major (child development option) through North Dakota State University and the elementary education major through Valley City State University (VCSU). The culmination of these requirements leads to a bachelor’s degree from NDSU (human development and family science major/child development option) as well as a bachelor’s degree from VCSU (elementary education major).

But that's a program, not a college. 

The NDSU seven of today:
College of Agriculture, Food Systems and Natural Resources.  Sr 263 - Fr 222 - Total 914
College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.  Sr 419 - Fr 276 - Total 1,312
College of Business.  Sr 403 - Fr 316 - Total 1,497
College of Engineering.  Sr 733 - Fr 469 - Total 2,133
College of Health Professions.  Sr 500 - Fr 360 - Total 1,478
College of Human Development and Education.  Sr 312 - Fr 298 - Total 1,226
College of Science and Mathematics.  Sr 278 - Fr 263 - Total 1,028
College of University Studies.

I entered the enrollment of each program.  Sr Class, Fr Class and Total.  It interesting to see the large drops in Engineering, Arts and Health.  I was kind of surprised to see the Ag program was the smallest college.

UND Educational Units:  Head Count Numbers
College of Arts & Sciences.  Sr 667 - Fr 441 - Total 2,092
College of Business & Public Administration.  Sr 448 - Fr 280 - Total 1,416
College of Education & Human Development.  Sr 170 - Fr 93 - Total 521
College of Engineering & Mines.  Sr 975 - Fr 210 - Total 1,808
College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines.  Sr 290 - Fr 118 - Total 807
John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences.  Sr 675 - Fr 451 - Total 1,999

School of Law
School of Medicine & Health Sciences.  Sr 190 - Fr 68 - Total 444

Affiliated entities (budgetary units):
Chester Fritz Library
Energy & Environmental Research Center
Essential Studies Program
The Digital Press at the University of North Dakota
UND Art Collections

Here are the head count numbers for UND.  It looks like the Mines programs is taking a hit with the recent changes by administrations.

I do not believe I was "officially" in the then SEM, now CEM, until I was accepted into the degree program when I was a junior. If that's still in place you may have some "freshmen" claiming it, but juniors and seniors (prereq's done, accepted to specific major programs) are the numbers to track. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I do not believe I was "officially" in the then SEM, now CEM, until I was accepted into the degree program when I was a junior. If that's still in place you may have some "freshmen" claiming it, but juniors and seniors (prereq's done, accepted to specific major programs) are the numbers to track. 

There was an undecided type of category for both schools.   You are correct I should have added that..