SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

NDSU is at its lowest fall enrollment since 2005! (So much for Bresciani's "18000 students".) 

UND was wise to invest in its online presence. It'll help, but the cliff is coming ... fast

I predict declining enrollment will finally force re-evaluation on why Mayville, Valley City, Bottineau, et al, still are NDUS institutions. Yes, State constitution. Yes, it'll harm some cities. But it'll soon be harming the State as a whole. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm bringing this thread back up because of this news from Fargo:

https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/ndsu-president-warns-deep-budget-cuts-are-coming

Started getting me thinking about UND and their potential situation

Interesting that UND is only faced with a 1% budget reduction compared to 5.48% at NDSU, which is correlated to "UND’s strategic decision to significantly increase its online course offerings".  UND's proactive strategy appears to be paying off.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HawksHoops said:

Interesting that UND is only faced with a 1% budget reduction compared to 5.48% at NDSU, which is correlated to "UND’s strategic decision to significantly increase its online course offerings".  UND's proactive strategy appears to be paying off.

Is some of this fallout from the schenanigans of "Whiskey Joe" Chapman?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Is some of this fallout from the schenanigans of "Whiskey Joe" Chapman?

State funding is directly tied to enrollment. Others here are more well-versed on the details of how they count enrollment, but from a simple view: enrollment down, State funding down. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

State funding is directly tied to enrollment. Others here are more well-versed on the details of how they count enrollment, but from a simple view: enrollment down, State funding down. 

But even during the heart of the oil boom, the state was looking for excuses to "rightsize" higher education funding. I still think some of NDSU's problems started with Chapman's nonsense.

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It needs to happen.

And I can think of say five NDUS schools that probably shouldn't survive or should be vastly different. 

The little school budgets are pocket change compared to UND and NDSU. Besides, I think we are drifting off topic a little. Why is NDSU in bigger budget trouble than UND? Poor planning?

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

The little school budgets are pocket change compared to UND and NDSU. Besides, I think we are drifting off topic a little. Why is NDSU in bigger budget trouble than UND? Poor planning?

UND had the vision to invest in online education.

Bresciani moved away from that at NDSU. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yes.  UND took its lumps in 2017.  There were a lot of people in GF at the time wondering why ndsu wasn't laying off staff and shutting down programs (music therapy, etc.) at the time.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yes.  UND took its lumps in 2017.  There were a lot of people in GF at the time wondering why ndsu wasn't laying off staff and shutting down programs (music therapy, etc.) at the time.

Are you saying directly addressing the problem, aggressively some might say, (like Kennedy did) instead of kicking the can down road and hope things get magically better (like Bresciani did) was actually the prudent choice despite the pushback and fallout?? :0

The funding model was adjusted in 2013 and all the institutions had input at the time and supported it. I'm sure it is somehow "unfair" again though. :silly:

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU is at its lowest fall enrollment since 2005! (So much for Bresciani's "18000 students".) 

UND was wise to invest in its online presence. It'll help, but the cliff is coming ... fast

I predict declining enrollment will finally force re-evaluation on why Mayville, Valley City, Bottineau, et al, still are NDUS institutions. Yes, State constitution. Yes, it'll harm some cities. But it'll soon be harming the State as a whole. 

The overall racket that is higher ed will come crashing down in spectacular fashion. Gotta be aggressive and get lean and mean sooner to reduce the impact.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Are you saying directly addressing the problem, aggressively some might say, (like Kennedy did) instead of kicking the can down road ... 

Some credit to interim president Schafer for setting up a good portion of what Kennedy executed. 

Think of it this way: Your doctors see a tumor in a scan. One (UND) said it looks bad, let's deal with it now and be done. The other (NDSU) said let's hold off and see if it gets better on its own. 

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The overall racket that is higher ed will come crashing down in spectacular fashion. Gotta be aggressive and get lean and mean sooner to reduce the impact.

remember when i said you were smart!     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

9 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Are you saying directly addressing the problem, aggressively some might say, (like Kennedy did) instead of kicking the can down road and hope things get magically better (like Bresciani did) was actually the prudent choice despite the pushback and fallout?? :0

The funding model was adjusted in 2013 and all the institutions had input at the time and supported it. I'm sure it is somehow "unfair" again though. :silly:

So do we officially owe Schafer and Kennedy an apology?

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND had the vision to invest in online education.

Bresciani moved away from that at NDSU. 

Imagine that - also remember Bresciani had the foresight to make sure he had a tenured teaching position waiting for him when his golden parachute landed after getting booted from the Presidents job.  Be a real shame if Cook decided he should be one of the first employees to be CUT!;)

• Upvote 2

UND's adoption of online learning has helped it weather the early stages of the storm. The recent focus on rebuilding the campus should help it weather the latter stages of the storm as on-campus students prioritize which university they'll go to. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

UND's adoption of online learning has helped it weather the early stages of the storm. The recent focus on rebuilding the campus should help it weather the latter stages of the storm as on-campus students prioritize which university they'll go to. 

Cleaning it up, making it modern and new, were and are sound moves. 

• Upvote 1

Need to get back to core education at the smaller schools.

no need to have graduate degrees at those schools.

get your 4 year degree and then chose 1 of the 2 universities.

the 4 year schools were teacher colleges.’the 2 year schools were city funded schools.

now everything is a university.?

will be a legislative battle.

Fargo press is upset at Rob Port for pointing out the obvious. Schools losing money and want more for sports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not a good look to build a 50 million dollar facility when the core academic mission will have to cut millions. I get that it is private dollars but still shows how skewed Higher Education priorities are! 

cue the complaints on how und gets more subsidies from the state