SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Season

SWSiouxMN

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What? Are you freaking trolling? MBB is NOT "...the top sports show by far in fargo." Not. Even. Close. It's football now and (probably) forever down there.

And if we are going to use the "Hockey is king, nothing else matters" excuse, then why did we move our programs up to Division I?

what part of winter sports budget did u not understand.....NDSU hoops Is the top dog by far for winter sports budget

I want UND to win, simply because. I think we all agree on that.   The result of winning would no doubt help with attendance. Irrefutable fact. I just don't know if winning will really help with drawing more teams to The Betty.  I'm not entirely sold that scheduling, especially at our level, is tied to that.  I think scheduling is an animal that has many variables.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is the mentality I don't want to take root in Grand Forks with regard to MBB. I know Bubba is not thinking that small with regard to his program.

I know I hate it too, and I wish the SD teams had the same mindset as NDSU in scheduling us twice a year so we can limit the Mayville's to maybe once a year. Save those type of teams for exhibition play and leave the DI's to the regular season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What? The Slummit is about the same in MBB as the Big Sky Conference: not very prestigious.

Oh, and of course, #buttRPI :silly:

The Summit League was only 13-2 against the Big Sky last year....How else do you rank conferences?

Summit League Basketball> Big Sky Basketball. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, darell1976 said:

And yet people on this board call it Slummit, and we would be worse off if we joined. Now it would be great conference to be in? I would love to hear other people's opinion on this sentence you posted.

Here is all you need to know. If the Summit/ MVFC offer was given to UND today they would accept it on the spot. If the BSC offered NDSU, even with FBS football, they would say thanks but no thanks. We all know which conference setup is superior for a team in the Dakotas. UND fans just don't want to admit it.

9 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Well here is how I feel about the whole conference affiliation thing.  I am a life long resident of North Dakota that is pushing 40 years old.  I've spent the majority of my life watching UND piss pound all three of NDSU, SDSU, and USD in more than one sport.  I appreciate the challenge and the "unknown" that the Big Sky offers.  The fact that the MVFC has been dominated by NDSU & SDSU since they joined tells me all I need to know about the "quality competition" offered by the other members of that league.  Seriously, SDSU sucked for 100 consecutive years until they joined that conference........

And if you ask me, being in the Summit for the rest of our sports would be even more intolerable than being stuck in the MVFC for only football.......

You like being in the BSC because of UND's failed DI transition.  Now you don't have to watch being piss pounded by the MVFC teams. (like the game last year, that kept you out of the playoffs.)  I for one hope you stay in the BSC as your fan base will continue to be disinterested in UND athletics. 

• Downvote 6

9 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Well here is how I feel about the whole conference affiliation thing.  I am a life long resident of North Dakota that is pushing 40 years old.  I've spent the majority of my life watching UND piss pound all three of NDSU, SDSU, and USD in more than one sport.  I appreciate the challenge and the "unknown" that the Big Sky offers.  The fact that the MVFC has been dominated by NDSU & SDSU since they joined tells me all I need to know about the "quality competition" offered by the other members of that league.  Seriously, SDSU sucked for 100 consecutive years until they joined that conference........

And if you ask me, being in the Summit for the rest of our sports would be even more intolerable than being stuck in the MVFC for only football.......

What is UND's record against MVFC teams since they joined the BSC? Which FB conference has been the strongest in FCS the last five years and it isn't even close? The MVFC has even been stronger than some FBS conferences the last few years. 

You can talk about the advantages of the challenges and unknowns of the Great BSC all you want, but the reality is we know the "unknowns" of the BSC. Exorbitant travel costs and lack of fan interest to where the atletic department has a $1 million plus deficit. I guess people know what thay are getting when Southern Utah, Sac State, or even Montana or Montana State come to town, and it is not enough to fill the seats. You would have 4 bus trips in the Summit with at least 3 of those teams being bigger draws than any current BSC teams. I am more than happy with UND in the BSC, but I am not sure your new administration is. 

18 hours ago, SanDakotaState said:

The Summit League was only 13-2 against the Big Sky last year....How else do you rank conferences?

Summit League Basketball> Big Sky Basketball. 

I was talking about each conference's respective standing in the world of mid-major Division I conferences. And in that respect, they are both considered lower-tier, one-bid leagues.

16 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Here is all you need to know. If the Summit/ MVFC offer was given to UND today they would accept it on the spot. If the BSC offered NDSU, even with FBS football, they would say thanks but no thanks. We all know which conference setup is superior for a team in the Dakotas. UND fans just don't want to admit it.

is that same big sky conference the ndac were begging to get into a few years back???

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Twice!!

When NDSU wanted to get into the BSC they seemed to be the only option. Now that they are in the Summit/MVFC they have realized the error in their thinking, as evidenced by their non-interest in joining a new pipe dream FBS BSC. 10 years ago the WAC would have been a good conference to join also, now not so much. Times change. Maybe UND athletics would be healthier if they and their fans realized that.

• Downvote 4

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:58 AM, hoops44 said:

people forget that UND has a hockey team that happens to dominate the Grand Forks area fan sports winter  budget....NDSU basketball is the top sports show by far in fargo....You could have coach K here and hoops would still be secon fiddle to hockey....amen

Well they have had the benefit of using Scheels Arena the last 2 season which prevented them and the Force from playing in town on the same evening.

3 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

Guessing your not that old. Others can back this up but have you ever heard of Hyslop Hysteria? There was a point in time when basketball was a bigger deal than Hocley and this is when UND was D1 in hockey and D2 in basketball. If UND basketball ever can make multiple trips to the dance maybe even sneek out a win I could see the Betty selling out quite frequently. 

You make it seem like this is an awful basketball market and awful place to coach basketball. If funded properly and with some success I think we could be a great mid major. Look at how Bubba uses that hockey support and embraces it to try and get fans to his games. You can either make excuses or find the positives at UND and make them work to your advantage. Plenty of potential for UND hoops in both program growth and fan interest moving forward.

times change UND is a hockey school period!...never said awful...every big sky school has fans who think they have potential to be great...   UND fans should count their blessings they have a nice Big Sky Hoops program and this year is UND best chance ever for a NCAA bid  ...To compete with Weber and Montana year in and year out they need to bring in more stud recruits to Grand Forks ...easier said than done