SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Season

SWSiouxMN

36 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Big difference between playing Crookston and SMSU as your 2 exhibition games in games that don't count and playing a team like that as part of your regular season schedule though.

How are we any different than say Montana, playing Great Falls last Dec. 15th  (that game counted for the Griz) or Wyoming playing Western State Nov 11 this coming season (this game counts too)  and this year Colorado State has on its schedule something called University of Arkansas Fort Smith.- Go Lions!...by the way.   But this is just a small sampling and I could go all day of games that count of non D1 opponents that count. 

It appears you think that we are the only ones that go down this route when really...it's quite common.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Okay Mr. Solutions, explain why a school that is very similar to UND in many aspects, is a part of the NDUS, and which is facing the same budgetary issues UND is much more successful than UND at getting Division I teams to come to town. That is what I meant by "explaining away". The whole Fargo Megalopolis argument doesn't hold water with me; it's one freaking hour away via Interstate. Grand Forks isn't Barrow, Alaska. At least you didn't use the "Grand Forks is too cold during the winter" argument that some people have used on here.

Partnering with NDSU is a good idea, but with their current leadership and their attitude towards UND, I don't think that will happen. But considering that their President is likely on his way out the door, that could change soon.

Finally, our poor attendance won't get better until the team performs more consistently over the course of a season. People are taking a wait and see attitude toward the team (like with football). I do hope Jones can have a big year and get this program to the next level.

Should have never decided to beat Louisiana Tech and Bowling Green at The Betty during our D1 transition.  Word gets around...go to GF and your record may get dinged.

13 hours ago, dakotadan said:

Grand Forks is a football town. 

If you mean football is the undisputed #2 sport on campus and in town, I agree with you. But we still need to make our basketball programs the best they can be. A trip to March Madness would be a huge publicity coup for the entire university.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If you mean football is the undisputed #2 sport on campus and in town, I agree with you. But we still need to make our basketball programs the best they can be. A trip to March Madness would be a huge publicity coup for the entire university.

Silly, everyone knows Football is #3, right after hockey and drinking! :silly:

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Okay Mr. Solutions, explain why a school that is very similar to UND in many aspects, is a part of the NDUS, and which is facing the same budgetary issues UND is much more successful than UND at getting Division I teams to come to town. That is what I meant by "explaining away". The whole Fargo Megalopolis argument doesn't hold water with me; it's one freaking hour away via Interstate. Grand Forks isn't Barrow, Alaska. At least you didn't use the "Grand Forks is too cold during the winter" argument that some people have used on here.

Partnering with NDSU is a good idea, but with their current leadership and their attitude towards UND, I don't think that will happen. But considering that their President is likely on his way out the door, that could change soon.

Finally, our poor attendance won't get better until the team performs more consistently over the course of a season. People are taking a wait and see attitude toward the team (like with football). I do hope Jones can have a big year and get this program to the next level.

For the gazillionth time on this board. We have to play money games to fund the program. Which means, we cannot pay Ball State 65k to come play us at the Betty.  We have to use that game to go somewhere to play a game and we get the 65k. Play a school from Power 5 and now you are talking 100k plus. One for one games DO NOT get you any money. It's a simple formula. I don't know what NDSU does. Maybe they have more money than us. Who cares. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

For the gazillionth time on this board. We have to play money games to fund the program. Which means, we cannot pay Ball State 65k to come play us at the Betty.  We have to use that game to go somewhere to play a game and we get the 65k. Play a school from Power 5 and now you are talking 100k plus. One for one games DO NOT get you any money. It's a simple formula. I don't know what NDSU does. Maybe they have more money than us. Who cares. 

Really? If this were the case, it wouldn't have taken 10+ years to finish the renovations to the BSA.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ArtVandalay said:

WAIT......WHAT?!? All of a sudden NDSU has a cash cow in basketball? 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

They have a bigger basketball budget for a handful of reasons, one of which is they have higher attendance. I wouldn't exactly say that are much more successful, they have basically had 1 or 2 more D-1 home games/year than UND has. It is an absolute truth that Fargo is both cheaper and easier to get to than Grand Forks. Not hugely, but still it is. Flights in and out of GFK typically cost more and flying into FAR and then bussing for an hour each way isn't the most appealing things to coaches (and since you brought it up, that bus ride is in the winter with what can be questionable weather). Definitely things that can be overcome, but it just adds another hurdle.

I don't disagree, I'm just trying to think of ideas that might actually work instead of paying teams more money and creating a bigger deficit. Will it work? Probably not, but NDSU doesn't exactly have the easiest time getting teams up here either and if they see a positive benefit for themselves, it might be seen as an acceptable situation for 1 or 2 teams a  year.

Again, don't disagree. Just pointing out the highest profile team since Kansas came to the REA was in town and 2,300 people showed up. To that point, there is little incentive to spend the money to get all these extra home games when all it does is further create a hole in the budget, not that the coaching staff wouldn't love to play more games at home. If the team improves, causing attendance and cash flow to improve, you will likely see more D-1 home games because they will have the flexibility to get them. But again, it remains tough because teams flat out aren't excited to come here (or Fargo) because it the travel you pay for if it is a home/home is more expensive than a lot of other options or the guarantee you are getting doesn't make it much of a winning proposition.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Summit leagues a step up from big sky more revenue ,better rpi....able to pay more to play.  that is the facts...feel free to let the facts get in the way of your narrative

And yet people on this board call it Slummit, and we would be worse off if we joined. Now it would be great conference to be in? I would love to hear other people's opinion on this sentence you posted.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They have a bigger basketball budget for a handful of reasons, one of which is they have higher attendance. I wouldn't exactly say that are much more successful, they have basically had 1 or 2 more D-1 home games/year than UND has. It is an absolute truth that Fargo is both cheaper and easier to get to than Grand Forks. Not hugely, but still it is. Flights in and out of GFK typically cost more and flying into FAR and then bussing for an hour each way isn't the most appealing things to coaches (and since you brought it up, that bus ride is in the winter with what can be questionable weather). Definitely things that can be overcome, but it just adds another hurdle.

I don't disagree, I'm just trying to think of ideas that might actually work instead of paying teams more money and creating a bigger deficit. Will it work? Probably not, but NDSU doesn't exactly have the easiest time getting teams up here either and if they see a positive benefit for themselves, it might be seen as an acceptable situation for 1 or 2 teams a  year.

Again, don't disagree. Just pointing out the highest profile team since Kansas came to the REA was in town and 2,300 people showed up. To that point, there is little incentive to spend the money to get all these extra home games when all it does is further create a hole in the budget, not that the coaching staff wouldn't love to play more games at home. If the team improves, causing attendance and cash flow to improve, you will likely see more D-1 home games because they will have the flexibility to get them. But again, it remains tough because teams flat out aren't excited to come here (or Fargo) because it the travel you pay for if it is a home/home is more expensive than a lot of other options or the guarantee you are getting doesn't make it much of a winning proposition.

Haven't both the UND/NDSU women done something like that before where a team played in GF one night and Fargo the next? How come it can't work for the men?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Higher attendance is due to their basketball success. Getting to and winning in the dance is a hell of a lot more sexy than a loss in the opening round of the CIT to a DI transfer team. Beating ranked teams during the season and getting mentioned on ESPN is more sexy than losing to teams with losing records. They are way more successful in basketball than we have been, we are average, our record doesn't hardly move above .500 while they have consecutive 20 win seasons. Maybe UND needs a resume like this to attract DI teams, in the meantime I guess Mayville is a better fit for our team.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, the green team said:

Should have never decided to beat Louisiana Tech and Bowling Green at The Betty during our D1 transition.  Word gets around...go to GF and your record may get dinged.

The Bowling Green win wasn't during transition it was done in our first year of the Big Sky. We have had 7 DI teams come to the Betty since the 2012-13 season (our first post transition season), thats an average of just under 2 a season and this year we have 1 only because NDSU and UND agreed to a home/home every year for the next 4 or else we would still be at zero. Need more success to get more teams here.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Summit leagues a step up from big sky more revenue ,better rpi....able to pay more to play.  that is the facts...feel free to let the facts get in the way of your narrative

What? The Slummit is about the same in MBB as the Big Sky Conference: not very prestigious.

Oh, and of course, #buttRPI :silly:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the green team said:

How are we any different than say Montana, playing Great Falls last Dec. 15th  (that game counted for the Griz) or Wyoming playing Western State Nov 11 this coming season (this game counts too)  and this year Colorado State has on its schedule something called University of Arkansas Fort Smith.- Go Lions!...by the way.   But this is just a small sampling and I could go all day of games that count of non D1 opponents that count. 

It appears you think that we are the only ones that go down this route when really...it's quite common.

It isn't any different and I know that. Someone just mentioned some schools like Minnesota and other BCS conference schools also doing it and I just said in most cases those are exhibitions that don't count at that level but I know the low-mid majors sometimes have to play those types of games as regular season games.

51 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You are right in that winning more will put more butts in the seats and make better home schedules more realistic. I just get tired of hearing we don't have the resources for this and that, when all of these factors you and other people are bringing up were in place when we were making the decision whether or not to move up. We have to overcome them or this Division I experiment will look like a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Higher attendance is due to their basketball success. Getting to and winning in the dance is a hell of a lot more sexy than a loss in the opening round of the CIT to a DI transfer team. Beating ranked teams during the season and getting mentioned on ESPN is more sexy than losing to teams with losing records. They are way more successful in basketball than we have been, we are average, our record doesn't hardly move above .500 while they have consecutive 20 win seasons. Maybe UND needs a resume like this to attract DI teams, in the meantime I guess Mayville is a better fit for our team.

This is the mentality I don't want to take root in Grand Forks with regard to MBB. I know Bubba is not thinking that small with regard to his program.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is the mentality I don't want to take root in Grand Forks with regard to MBB. I know Bubba is not thinking that small with regard to his program.

I know I hate it too, and I wish the SD teams had the same mindset as NDSU in scheduling us twice a year so we can limit the Mayville's to maybe once a year. Save those type of teams for exhibition play and leave the DI's to the regular season.

• Upvote 1

people forget that UND has a hockey team that happens to dominate the Grand Forks area fan sports winter  budget....NDSU basketball is the top sports show by far in fargo....You could have coach K here and hoops would still be secon fiddle to hockey....amen

• Downvote 2

Just now, hoops44 said:

people forget that UND has a hockey team that happens to dominate the Grand Forks area fan sports budget....NDSU basketball is the top sports show by far in fargo....You could have coach K here and hoops would still be secon fiddle to hockey....amen

Better do your homework on Fargo sports. I think football is king there.

• Upvote 1

Just now, hoops44 said:

people forget that UND has a hockey team that happens to dominate the Grand Forks area fan sports budget....NDSU basketball is the top sports show by far in fargo....You could have coach K here and hoops would still be secon fiddle to hockey....amen

What? Are you freaking trolling? MBB is NOT "...the top sports show by far in fargo." Not. Even. Close. It's football now and (probably) forever down there.

And if we are going to use the "Hockey is king, nothing else matters" excuse, then why did we move our programs up to Division I?

• Upvote 1