SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Season

SWSiouxMN

One thing that will be watched outside of UND is the current Northern Colorado investigation by the NCAA.  My big question is will the Bears potentially self-impose a post-season ban for the upcoming season?  That will affect Reno and will then mean that the top 5 seeds would get a first round bye.  

Nov 25 North Florida*

Nov 26 Wright State*

Nov 27 CSU-Bakersfield*

Dec 7 @ NDSU

Dec 10 @ Northern Iowa

Dec 15 Mayville State

Dec 16 NDSU

Dec 20 @ Iowa

Dec 29 @ PSU

Dec 31 @ SAC ST

Jan 5 NAU

Jan 7 SUU

Jan 12 @ MSU

Jan 14 @ Montana

Jan 19 Weber

Jan 21 ISU

Jan 26 @ SUU

Jan 28 @ NAU

Feb 4 UNC

Feb 9 EWU

Feb 11 Idaho

Feb 16 @ ISU

Feb 18 @ Weber

Feb 25 @ UNC

Mar 2 SAC ST

Mar 4 PSU

Updated schedule, 26 games confirmed now.

*Wright State tournament

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Nov 25 North Florida*

Nov 26 Wright State*

Nov 27 CSU-Bakersfield*

Dec 7 @ NDSU

Dec 10 @ Northern Iowa

Dec 15 Mayville State

Dec 16 NDSU

Dec 20 @ Iowa

Dec 29 @ PSU

Dec 31 @ SAC ST

Jan 5 NAU

Jan 7 SUU

Jan 12 @ MSU

Jan 14 @ Montana

Jan 19 Weber

Jan 21 ISU

Jan 26 @ SUU

Jan 28 @ NAU

Feb 4 UNC

Feb 9 EWU

Feb 11 Idaho

Feb 16 @ ISU

Feb 18 @ Weber

Feb 25 @ UNC

Mar 2 SAC ST

Mar 4 PSU

Updated schedule, 26 games confirmed now.

Thats a pretty sexy home schedule..might need to splurge on season tix

52 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If we join the Summit, we would have home and home's with all 3 every year!! ;)

Yes we would but this way we could have 3 OOC DI teams come to the Betty every year, instead of hosting the usual Mayville, Presentation type teams.

28 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Yes we would but this way we could have 3 OOC DI teams come to the Betty every year, instead of hosting the usual Mayville, Presentation type teams.

It would make for a couple more quality home games but they wouldn't replace those games as they are cheap home games and a good warm-up for the team. Even the P5 schools play non-D1 games. UofM played Crookston and SW Minnesota St last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If we join the Summit, we would have home and home's with all 3 every year!! ;)

No need to downgrade conference affiliation just to play SD schools. A more logical step would be to try get USD & SDSU to agree to VB and m&w basketball contracts so that we had one SD school at home and the other on the road each year in each sport. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It would make for a couple more quality home games but they wouldn't replace those games as they are cheap home games and a good warm-up for the team. Even the P5 schools play non-D1 games. UofM played Crookston and SW Minnesota St last year.

It just gets old to have 1 or 2 DI teams at home a year. No one cares about non DI schools. Look how that's looked upon in football. St. Cloud is cheap and so is Crookston but Bubba wants nothing to do with them. By getting this NDSU deal done we have a guarantee DI team at home. We need more of those.

23 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

No need to downgrade conference affiliation just to play SD schools. A more logical step would be to try get USD & SDSU to agree to VB and m&w basketball contracts so that we had one SD school at home and the other on the road each year in each sport. 

They've been trying/asking for years.  The SoDak Schools aren't particularly inclined to travel here. The staff knows that would be a great situation and has been trying, but you can't negotiate with anyone who's not willing to discuss.  As has been indicated on more than one occasion, they have stressed they have no interest coming to play in GF, but the door is always open for us to go down there.   I think for a good scheduling partnership to take place, there has got to be some give and take...like home and homes.   But they(SDSU and USD) are not there right now.   I'm past harboring ill will towards any school that won't schedule us fairly. Hey, you have to look out for yourself, I understand, but it would be nice if the SoDak schools would be more amenable to a home and home alternating years.  

And since the fan base wants some home games (count me as one of them) and it is now apparent that we have no money in Athletics to lure even the most modest of D1's here...UND Basketball finds itself with some real challenging scheduling issues.

From the schedule above it looks like our staff, who has always gotten along with Coach Nagy, worked that relationship into a tournament appearance in Dayton hosted by Wright State.

6 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

It just gets old to have 1 or 2 DI teams at home a year. No one cares about non DI schools. Look how that's looked upon in football. St. Cloud is cheap and so is Crookston but Bubba wants nothing to do with them. By getting this NDSU deal done we have a guarantee DI team at home. We need more of those.

I don't think anyone, including every single person in the athletic department, disagree that it would be nice to have more D-1 schools here but you can't just snap your fingers and make it happen. As already stated, the SD schools aren't all that open at this time for home/homes so what exactly do you propose? UND had to give UNI a 3-1 to get them here and even then that was basically a favor from Coach Jacobson. Giving USD or SDSU anything other than a home/home would not be received well.

As for comparing it to football, talk about comparing apples and oranges. You can't be serious trying to compare the two? That is absolutely ridiculous on about 10 different levels. Look at any D1 basketball schedule in the nation, including P5 schools. UNC plays something called Fuilford. Duke plays Virginia State and Augustana (SD). They all have non-D1 schools on there. At least one if not two of these games are usually exhibition(which of course aren't allowed in football), give a cheap home game and give coaches a chance to look at a lot of different things. The other ones are a cost/benefit on going on the road for a money away game (which may be a breakeven scenario at best) or giving your fans and players a home game, even if it is against a lower level opponent.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think anyone, including every single person in the athletic department, disagree that it would be nice to have more D-1 schools here but you can't just snap your fingers and make it happen. As already stated, the SD schools aren't all that open at this time for home/homes so what exactly do you propose? UND had to give UNI a 3-1 to get them here and even then that was basically a favor from Coach Jacobson. Giving USD or SDSU anything other than a home/home would not be received well.

As for comparing it to football, talk about comparing apples and oranges. You can't be serious trying to compare the two? That is absolutely ridiculous on about 10 different levels. Look at any D1 basketball schedule in the nation, including P5 schools. UNC plays something called Fuilford. Duke plays Virginia State and Augustana (SD). They all have non-D1 schools on there. At least one if not two of these games are usually exhibition(which of course aren't allowed in football), give a cheap home game and give coaches a chance to look at a lot of different things. The other ones are a cost/benefit on going on the road for a money away game (which may be a breakeven scenario at best) or giving your fans and players a home game, even if it is against a lower level opponent.

You justify having lower level teams cause it's a cost saver, I am just saying no one likes it just like football, where you have higher level teams scheduling lower level teams it's the same thing. Last year we had 2 DI home games, this year we have one (I doubt we get another). To compare our close neighbors to the south had 3 last year and has 3 this year (their schedule is still being worked on), so I guess they have the money for these games but UND has none.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You justify having lower level teams cause it's a cost saver, I am just saying no one likes it just like football, where you have higher level teams scheduling lower level teams it's the same thing. Last year we had 2 DI home games, this year we have one (I doubt we get another). To compare our close neighbors to the south had 3 last year and has 3 this year (their schedule is still being worked on), so I guess they have the money for these games but UND has none.

Exactly, you simply cannot explain this away.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Exactly, you simply cannot explain this away.

Explain what away? That they also have 3 non D-1 games on their schedule? That they previously paid to be part of a marketing-type group that helped mid-majors get some games scheduled (doesn't exist anymore so it isn't an option)? That it costs less to get a team into Fargo than it does Grand Forks? That they have a bigger basketball budget than UND does, not to mention higher attendance, making it easier to incentive teams? That they had to overpay to get a mediocre team to open their brand new arena because that was the best they could get and its still nowhere near the quality of a team they wanted?

Teams don't want to travel to North Dakota because it is long travel for little money or they can get home/home games with closer schools so their end of travel is cheaper. UND signed a 3-1 to get UNI to come here and a whopping 2,300 fans showed up to see a team that had knocked off #1 UNC the week before and was receiving votes in the polls. How much money do you propose UND pays teams to come up here and then don't get enough fans to cover the bill?

I think (if they haven't) UND should try to see if there is a way to partner with NDSU to get a team or two up here every year and have the visiting team play Thursday/Saturday games and split the costs some way.  <---That's trying to come up with a solution to the problem instead of just complaining about it.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Explain what away? That they also have 3 non D-1 games on their schedule? That they previously paid to be part of a marketing-type group that helped mid-majors get some games scheduled (doesn't exist anymore so it isn't an option)? That it costs less to get a team into Fargo than it does Grand Forks? That they have a bigger basketball budget than UND does, not to mention higher attendance, making it easier to incentive teams? That they had to overpay to get a mediocre team to open their brand new arena because that was the best they could get and its still nowhere near the quality of a team they wanted?

Teams don't want to travel to North Dakota because it is long travel for little money or they can get home/home games with closer schools so their end of travel is cheaper. UND signed a 3-1 to get UNI to come here and a whopping 2,300 fans showed up to see a team that had knocked off #1 UNC the week before and was receiving votes in the polls. How much money do you propose UND pays teams to come up here and then don't get enough fans to cover the bill?

I think (if they haven't) UND should try to see if there is a way to partner with NDSU to get a team or two up here every year and have the visiting team play Thursday/Saturday games and split the costs some way.  <---That's trying to come up with a solution to the problem instead of just complaining about it.

I wonder why only 2300 fans showed up for UNI, maybe winning could put butts in the seats. But that's another basketball topic that's been hashed out for many years with the same result. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Hypothetically speaking, how many of those games would you come to the Sioux Center for?  There are 10 DI games on this year's schedule, which ones are you planning on being at?  The program could use your dollars just as much as your "input".........

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I wonder why only 2300 fans showed up for UNI, maybe winning could put butts in the seats. But that's another basketball topic that's been hashed out for many years with the same result. 

That's really sad. I'd expect a pretty full house for dang near anyone with UNI coming to town.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Hypothetically speaking, how many of those games would you come to the Sioux Center for?  There are 10 DI games on this year's schedule, which ones are you planning on being at?  The program could use your dollars just as much as your "input".........

So I can't have an input on this board unless I have a ticket in hand? I do have my tickets for football guess I am only allowed over there. I'll keep you updated on my ticket purchases of UND athletics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You are 100% correct ...some folks are unable to understand the inner workings of running a lower level D1 hoops program.  It is about money! the vast majority of lower D1 programs use finance based scheduling...UND likely netted more money playing at Wisky last season than they did for any home game. The usual culprit comes in here and trolls about something he has less than one iota of knowledge about... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

19 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Big difference between playing Crookston and SMSU as your 2 exhibition games in games that don't count and playing a team like that as part of your regular season schedule though.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Okay Mr. Solutions, explain why a school that is very similar to UND in many aspects, is a part of the NDUS, and which is facing the same budgetary issues UND is much more successful than UND at getting Division I teams to come to town. That is what I meant by "explaining away". The whole Fargo Megalopolis argument doesn't hold water with me; it's one freaking hour away via Interstate. Grand Forks isn't Barrow, Alaska. At least you didn't use the "Grand Forks is too cold during the winter" argument that some people have used on here.

Partnering with NDSU is a good idea, but with their current leadership and their attitude towards UND, I don't think that will happen. But considering that their President is likely on his way out the door, that could change soon.

Finally, our poor attendance won't get better until the team performs more consistently over the course of a season. People are taking a wait and see attitude toward the team (like with football). I do hope Jones can have a big year and get this program to the next level.

• Upvote 1