SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Northeastern // Mich vs. Notre Dame

AZSIOUX

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Used to be jam-packed with Sioux fans back in the day.  I haven't been there in about five years so I will call tomorrow and find out the scoop.  Would gladly meet some folks there if it's still a hot spot for NoDak fans.

With NCHC.tv gaining popularity the numbers have decreased.  I have been there 3-4 times this year for Sioux games.  If there are more than 10 fans I believe they would designate that room close to the patio as a Sioux room.

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Used to be jam-packed with Sioux fans back in the day.  I haven't been there in about five years so I will call tomorrow and find out the scoop.  Would gladly meet some folks there if it's still a hot spot for NoDak fans.

Willing to give rides back to hotels if we meet you there?! ;)

1 minute ago, 01grad said:

I would think on a Friday at that time shouldn't be a problem to get it on the television with sound throughout unless there is bouncy ball going on.

Bouncy ball games will likely be in the evening - should be no problem at 1:00 in the afternoon!

Compared to a year ago It will be real interesting to see how they come out on Friday.  Last year they pissed around that the NCHC Frozen thingy in Minneapolis knowing they had 5000 Sioux fans waiting for them at Scheels arena.  This year they will have 25 Sioux fans waiting for them in Cincy after they pissed around at the NCHC Frozen thingy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Although this weekend was a tough pill to swallow, I also found my memory of last year's NCHC tournament being awfully short once UND took control of the regional in Fargo. I am going forward with a positive attitude. This has been such a promising season. That being said, Let's go SIOUX!!!

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, crb1 said:

Let everyone talk about NU, that is totally fine. If the boys come to play any team will have difficulty playing us. I just hope the right team with intensity and passion shows up. 

Every time they've NEEDED a big performance, they've gotten one. The win on Sat against Wisconsin, rolling CC following the embarrassing tie after being up four, the sweeps of Duluth and Omaha after being swept in Denver, the domination of WMU to clinch the Penrose outright and the foot-on-the throat sweep in the first round of the NCHC quarters all come to mind. I expect nothing less on Friday.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, luapsided said:

Think there will be any internet feed or a way to find a espnu stream? Need to have my earphones in on friday and would be nice to occasionally look at my phone to see the game. Otherwise, tim will be my option on the radio.

Pretty sure all games are on ESPN3 along with TV coverage.

17 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Compared to a year ago It will be real interesting to see how they come out on Friday.  Last year they pissed around that the NCHC Frozen thingy in Minneapolis knowing they had 5000 Sioux fans waiting for them at Scheels arena.  This year they will have 25 Sioux fans waiting for them in Cincy after they pissed around at the NCHC Frozen thingy.

And the Huskies will have 5. It doesn't matter. No excuses. Just gotta get it done.

17 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

It's a bird...it's a plain...no, wait!  It's CAPTAIN NEGATIVITY!

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

You must be one hell of a hockey player? We could only be so lucky to see you hit the ice and win everything, at will.. Because the other team won't change any outcome for a game you're playing in!

The Sioux are lucky to have fans like you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, snova4 said:

Bulletin board material. 

It's a writer so, I wouldn't classify it as Bulletin board material. It does illustrate a level of arrogance that the writers on the east coast exhibit.  

34 minutes ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

I agree with a lot of people on here regarding the teams motivation and mentality going into this regional and their first game against Northeastern.  Listening to the seniors in that Through These Doors and remembering the TTD episodes at the end of seasons gone by, it reminds me that the players go out there in the NCAA tournament knowing full well what North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey means to that program, this school, this town, even this state.  More importantly, however, they know what it means for their fellow teammates.  Seniors go out and fight hard for their fellow seniors, and their juniors, sophomores and freshman.  The same holds true regardless of what year you are.  I remember watching players in tears when their season ended in the tournament, because they wanted to win it all for their school, their coaches, their town and most importantly their teammates.  

We see the smiles on their faces when they pose for the photo with the Penrose Cup, or win their regional and get to attend the Frozen Four....imagine the agony on their faces when they lose their chance at the National Championship trophy. No one should have any doubt regarding this teams motivation, passion, or mentality going into this tournament.

If they run into a team who happens to skate faster, pass better, and shoot more accurately on that given night then so be it.  No one can blame our players for not wanting to be the team that hangs this school's EIGHTH banner, because we all know they desperately want that. Sometimes a puck takes an unexpected bounce. Sometimes the referees make a weird call. At the end of the day, those guys go out on the ice to represent the University of North Dakota, to represent Grand Forks, to represent their families, and most importantly to represent each other. 

I'm excited to watch them play against (Hopefully win against) a great team like Northeastern. Lets. Go. Sioux. 

Well said!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, luapsided said:

Think there will be any internet feed or a way to find a espnu stream? Need to have my earphones in on friday and would be nice to occasionally look at my phone to see the game. Otherwise, tim will be my option on the radio.

I have always been able to stream the regional games on ESPN 360. 

• Upvote 1

To be fair, the East has won seven of the last eight titles.  Really, until a Western team goes out and actually wins, it's not unreasonable to conclude Eastern hockey is best right now.  Given recent results, perhaps the ECAC has the best argument against Hockey East.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

I agree with a lot of people on here regarding the teams motivation and mentality going into this regional and their first game against Northeastern.  Listening to the seniors in that Through These Doors and remembering the TTD episodes at the end of seasons gone by, it reminds me that the players go out there in the NCAA tournament knowing full well what North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey means to that program, this school, this town, even this state.  More importantly, however, they know what it means for their fellow teammates.  Seniors go out and fight hard for their fellow seniors, and their juniors, sophomores and freshman.  The same holds true regardless of what year you are.  I remember watching players in tears when their season ended in the tournament, because they wanted to win it all for their school, their coaches, their town and most importantly their teammates.  

We see the smiles on their faces when they pose for the photo with the Penrose Cup, or win their regional and get to attend the Frozen Four....imagine the agony on their faces when they lose their chance at the National Championship trophy. No one should have any doubt regarding this teams motivation, passion, or mentality going into this tournament.

If they run into a team who happens to skate faster, pass better, and shoot more accurately on that given night then so be it.  No one can blame our players for "not wanting to be the team that hangs this school's EIGHTH banner," because we all know they desperately want that. Sometimes a puck takes an unexpected bounce. Sometimes the referees make a weird call. At the end of the day, those guys go out on the ice to represent the University of North Dakota, to represent Grand Forks, to represent their families, and most importantly to represent each other. 

I'm excited to watch them play against (Hopefully win against) a great team like Northeastern. Lets. Go. Sioux. 

I have no problem with what you said above as it was obviously well written and nostalgic, etc.  They do want nothing more than to win or they wouldn't be on the team.  

But, we read this same post every year, either before east coast team 'X' beats UND or after.  Regular season wins are great and its fun getting drunk at the Ralph with friends and family watching UND win another game.  UND has a great program and a loyal fan base.  

However, at what point does the team start to play for the current hockey program, the University of North Dakota, the current fans and current teammates, and stop trying to harness the "power of the Sioux name and it's history"?  It is quite apparent that the old nickname hasn't done much for them lately other than beat teams they should have and always have beaten.  

People keep referencing the old nickname and how much it means to the program.  The results don't show it making much of a difference and it's gone now so why keep using it as a source of inspiration - either the team or fans?   Honoring it and recognizing the past through media is one thing (and great), obsessing over it and keeping it front and center is another.  Time to live in the now and focus on the now.  They are the #1 seed and are playing a hot team.  Playing "Sioux hockey" (whatever that means these days) doesn't mean squat.  

With all that being said, I want nothing more than for them to win a national championship.  I have been a UND fan for 35+ years and have seen a lot of winning (and losing).  So I apologize for coming off negatively cause I am not against any UND team, ever.  

• Downvote 1