SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

On April 15, 2016 at 1:16 PM, crb1 said:

Like I said I have a pretty good source and they have told me at this point the only ones who are leaving are.

Luke, Stecher (already signed) and Paul

Schmaltz is 50/50

So far the only one who was a little surprising was Thompson. 

Of all those potentially leaving early IMO the biggest single player impact for next season to come back is/would be Schmaltz.  His talent is ridiculous.  There won't be a drop off on the top line if he comes back and you add Jost to him and Brock.

<fingers crossed>

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, walshhall said:

The 2015-16 year was supposed to be a rebuilding year with a new goalie(s) and all the new freshman! Chin up, man.

Exacatly.  Although the LJ departure is about as odd as it gets, we're still fine.  We have 4 nice dmen and some nice young guys coming in.  We had a relatively young team, I assume most the freshman and sophomores will take a step forward.  Ladue will be really hard to replace, however our top 4 should still be solid. Berry may be forced to play his top four more than he typically does.  No big deal.  Our forward group will still be very good.....unless Schmaltz.  Then you can forget about all the optimism coming from this post :)

10 minutes ago, walshhall said:

The 2015-16 year was supposed to be a rebuilding year with a new goalie(s) and all the new freshman! Chin up, man.

We do have some new hardware and banners to add as well so we got the most out of the players leaving.  It's much tougher to say goodbye to players when you feel like they left something on the table.

• Upvote 3

On 4/26/2016 at 4:13 PM, burd said:

Forgive my laziness, but what was the deal with the mystery surrounding Tim Hennessey late last week?  Did he make a change of some kind?

Did he come out?

OK . . . smiley.   Not that there is anything wrong with  . . . .

Come out from where? If that question has the meaning behind it like I think it does, that is unacceptable and you should be ashamed of yourself! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Exacatly.  Although the LJ departure is about as odd as it gets, we're still fine.  We have 4 nice dmen and some nice young guys coming in.  We had a relatively young team, I assume most the freshman and sophomores will take a step forward.  Ladue will be really hard to replace, however our top 4 should still be solid. Berry may be forced to play his top four more than he typically does.  No big deal.  Our forward group will still be very good.....unless Schmaltz.  Then you can forget about all the optimism coming from this post :)

What is odd about LJ leaving? He has probably peaked at UND in terms of development, so it would be in Chicago's best interest to sign him early and have him work on his game in their system. 

• Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, walshhall said:

I tried mentioning that about midseasonthis year here and got met with "this team had a lot of talent and was expected to be pretty dang hood."

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I tried mentioning that about midseasonthis year here and got met with "this team had a lot of talent and was expected to be pretty dang hood."

I don't think anyone could've reasonably predicted that Boeser and Cam Johnson would've had the years that they did.  Those two exceeding expectations this year put this team from a 3 seed in the NCAA's to the best team in the country.

20 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I think we're going to see more out of Gersich and Wilkie. To name a couple. Gersich in particular, had 9 goals in a mostly 4th line role, I say that increases with more ice time. And I think Wolanin and Shaw will be good on the back end with increased ice time too. Valuable experience for them this year that will help them next year.

I think next year's team will just be set up a little bit different. Last year's was so good and experienced defensively. Next year's, the experience switches to the forwards.

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think we're going to see more out of Gersich and Wilkie. To name a couple. Gersich in particular, had 9 goals in a mostly 4th line role, I say that increases with more ice time. And I think Wolanin and Shaw will be good on the back end with increased ice time too. Valuable experience for them this year that will help them next year.

I think next year's team will just be set up a little bit different. Last year's was so good and experienced defensively. Next year's, the experience switches to the forwards.

I agree.  Most year's we need a freshman player like Gersich or Wilkie to be an impact player right away, but this year, it wasn't really needed as scoring 3 goals in a game typically was a win.  A full season under their belts, along with an offseason of training and Grand Forks, and they both should be very good college players as early as next year.  I totally expect both to be around 25 points or so next year, with hopefully one taking a bigger step than that.

9 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Is there a saying something like "Denfense wins you games".

10 minutes ago, as15 said:

I agree.  Most year's we need a freshman player like Gersich or Wilkie to be an impact player right away, but this year, it wasn't really needed as scoring 3 goals in a game typically was a win.  A full season under their belts, along with an offseason of training and Grand Forks, and they both should be very good college players as early as next year.  I totally expect both to be around 25 points or so next year, with hopefully one taking a bigger step than that.

We had a pretty impactful Freshman this year...

Just now, yzerman19 said:

We had a pretty impactful Freshman this year...

There is no questioning that, I'm just saying that when you bring in a guy that led the USHL in goal scoring the previous year (Wilkie, tied with Boeser), you expect him to be more than a 4th line player/healthy scratch.  Some years that lack of production would cripple this team, this year it didn't because it typically took 3 goals to win a game, and the CBS line was good for that almost every game.