SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (9-6) vs SAC (4-11)

SWSiouxMN

Hooker is so damn good. That play he made to save the ball out of bounds and lead Crandall to a layup was one of the best plays I've seen all year. This teams IQ and chemistry is just so high its incredible. There is really a lot less frustration for me watching this team than I had when watching the Huff teams. Shanks actually had an alright game. Needs a little bit better hands but he made some nice passes.

Hoping they can make some noise in the Big Sky tourney so we can continue watching the show.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Hooker is so damn good. That play he made to save the ball out of bounds and lead Crandall to a layup was one of the best plays I've seen all year. This teams IQ and chemistry is just so high its incredible. There is really a lot less frustration for me watching this team than I had when watching the Huff teams. Shanks actually had an alright game. Needs a little bit better hands but he made some nice passes.

Hoping they can make some noise in the Big Sky tourney so we can continue watching the show.

Have to agree as this team plays so much more together than the teams of years past.  Its unfortunate because the Huff class had so much talent but if you don't play as a team and unselfish then you will never be a great team.

12 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

because I believe the 5 in Huffs class had more talent but if you don't play as a team you will never be a very good team.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Amazing how much more team oriented this group is. The passing and defense is so much better than 3 years ago its not even funny. Still not sold on Jones but I am on these players.

This is the feel of most fans, we believe in the players, its the coach that needs work. 

I also love how much fun this team seems to have - and they seem to trust each other. Even though Shanks has some hand coordination issue they don't give up on him - and you gotta feel for the guy because he is totally getting shafted on phantom fouls in every game (not saying there isn't room for much improvement but if he improves as much next year as he did from last year to this year he will grow into a solid contributor). Love our bench strength too and the guys waiting it out this year are going to bring even more to the table. 

1 hour ago, the green team said:

For as selfish as everyone makes out the Huff, Anderson, and Webb era to be.  It might be shocking to learn that Webb sits 2nd all time in assists and Anderson sits 6th.

They had to pass to somebody eventually, plus they scored a good amount of points.  Doesn't mean the players weren't a bit selfish and didn't go 1 on 3 alot.  

If you can't see the difference between how this team plays and how those teams played then we can't help you.  It's quite obvious.

• Upvote 1

I never made any comment about this team. I am aware the 2 teams are different.  I've been enjoying watching this current team.  I just find it interesting how its so fun to rain on a group that had to start during a challenging time... the D1 transition.  And when it was done, the first year in the Sky, they made the conference semis, and played a heck of a game (their junior seasons)  To my knowledge the UND Women didn't even make the tournament that year.   The next year, they were a banged up team that made it to the conference championship game- and unfortunately got beat.  That was a group that by and large when they were recruited most likely weren't high on many other schools lists, because had they been- why would they have selected a school that was going through the transition to D1?   They came and wore the jersey and doggedly chased the ultimate goal the 2 chances they had it and I have respect for that. That's all I'm saying.  But I get it, you're probably one of those people that don't and won't give that group any credit...I just refuse to fall into that category.

6 minutes ago, the green team said:

I never made any comment about this team. I am aware the 2 teams are different.  I've been enjoying watching this current team.  I just find it interesting how its so fun to rain on a group that had to start during a challenging time... the D1 transition.  And when it was done, the first year in the Sky, they made the conference semis, and played a heck of a game (their junior seasons)  To my knowledge the UND Women didn't even make the tournament that year.   The next year, they were a banged up team that made it to the conference championship game- and unfortunately got beat.  That was a group that by and large when they were recruited most likely weren't high on many other schools lists, because had they been- why would they have selected a school that was going through the transition to D1?   They came and wore the jersey and doggedly chased the ultimate goal the 2 chances they had it and I have respect for that. That's all I'm saying.  But I get it, you're probably one of those people that don't and won't give that group any credit...I just refuse to fall into that category.

That group was fun to watch the four years they were here. Their senior year could have been a lot different with a healthy Brekke. They had immense talent but there were always those head scratching plays of forcing shots and what not. This team just has a different team element. The Huff led team just had a different attitude. But you're right they joined a tough situation and performed admirably. 

17 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The FB players are a great added dimension to the atmosphere.

another reason to give bubba a raise and shake your head at muss and maybe even some other coaches on campus that don't remind their athletes that instead of sitting around get out and support your fellow student athletes. 

also the thursday night game wasthe first game i have ever seen faison get into a game...when avants got that questionable laste box out foul he was flailing his arms and yelling!  loved it!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

That group was fun to watch the four years they were here. Their senior year could have been a lot different with a healthy Brekke. They had immense talent but there were always those head scratching plays of forcing shots and what not. This team just has a different team element. The Huff led team just had a different attitude. But you're right they joined a tough situation and performed admirably. 

If the Huff led team passed the ball and worked the ball like this current team they would have been better than this current team and probably would have danced in their junior or senior years.  Also, its obvious this current team has much more chemistry and enjoy each other more than the past team.  With that being said I also agree with the green team that they arrived at a difficult transition period an did accomplish more than what we give them credit for with 2 Great West championships and a tough semi-final loss to Weber and a finals lost to Weber.  A healthy Brekke would have made a big difference but don't forget that Webb, Schuler and even Nash was injured in the championship game with Schuler and Webb( a few minutes) didn't even play.  I would not be surprised if UND is projected first next year in the conference with everyone coming back and the addition of Baker and others.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sioux2013 said:

If the Huff led team passed the ball and worked the ball like this current team they would have been better than this current team and probably would have danced in their junior or senior years.  Also, its obvious this current team has much more chemistry and enjoy each other more than the past team.  With that being said I also agree with the green team that they arrived at a difficult transition period an did accomplish more than what we give them credit for with 2 Great West championships and a tough semi-final loss to Weber and a finals lost to Weber.  A healthy Brekke would have made a big difference but don't forget that Webb, Schuler and even Nash was injured in the championship game with Schuler and Webb( a few minutes) didn't even play.  I would not be surprised if UND is projected first next year in the conference with everyone coming back and the addition of Baker and others.

I do agree on next year, they will be a preseason top 2-3 team. 

There will always be what ifs with that group... what if Brekke was healthy? What if the NCAA wasn't moronic? What if....