SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. UMD Bulldogs - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Step away from the ledge. The weekend was ugly to watch, but a sweep is a sweep and I like our team this year.

Not on the ledge - just saying that after that fiasco in Denver, I had hoped for this team to look more like they did the first half of the year.  In my opinion they have some work to do to get ready for the tournaments.  I like our team too this year, but we are not playing at our best lately.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Glad it was a student that won.

He's a real good kid, 21, was both a top student and skilled athlete at EGFSH. I believe he's now is a junior at UND with geology major.  He's the type of guy you'd want your daughter to date so the money will be in good hands.

3 hours ago, GDPritch said:

He's a real good kid, 21, was both a top student and skilled athlete at EGFSH. I believe he's now is a junior at UND with geology major.  He's the type of guy you'd want your daughter to date so the money will be in good hands.

off-topic -- is he virginia regorrah's son?

9 hours ago, jk said:

It's clear that right now SCSU is playing extremely well.  They're just pouring pucks into the net.  Really only Denver seems about as hot and able to challenge them as the best team in the west.  It remains to be seen whether any western team can compete with the best from the east, but that'll be seen soon enough.

My point here is that the season is long, teams go through stretches where things seem off, and poor results sometimes follow.  We can all trot out examples from title years, but this one has stuck with me over the years.  On February 4th and 5th of 2000, the Sioux went to St. Cloud and scored zero goals in the first 119:46 of the series, losing 3-0 on Friday and only scoring the tying goal in Saturday's 1-1 tie with 13 seconds left in the third period with six attackers on the ice.  Listening to the games, you would think they'd never score again.  Sometimes you can't get the puck across the line no matter what, and sometimes it's a piece of cake, like it was for the CBS line earlier and for SCSU and Denver right now.

But the UND team that was filling the net earlier this year didn't just forget how to do it.  It's still there, and we'll see it again.  It's a different era and especially a different league, but that 2000 UND team did score 77 goals in its remaining 16 games after the trip to St. Cloud.  Mainly because the defense is so smooth with the puck and the forwards have a nice mix of grit and skill, I think we'll see a fair bit of offense from this team yet this year.

I saw that same team get swept in Madison 3 weeks earlier.  They could score against UW but didn't have tight enough defense.  UW had some horses (Heatley  Reinprecht), but the Sioux showed a better defense when March/April came along.  And a little puck luck, frankly. 

22 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Assuming we get Chyz back, I am thinking about a line chart like this:

1.  CBS

2.  Chyzk centering Gersich and Pogo

3.  Rhett centering JJ and LJ

4.  Simonson centering Sanderson and Olson

Gage and Stecher

Poolman and LaDue

Wolanin and Shaw

I don't think Chyzyk will be at center, he's a left winger.  If everyone is healthy, maybe

Caggiula - Schmaltz - Boeser

Chyzyk - Johnson - Poganski

Gersich - Simonson - Wilkie

Sanderson - Gardner - St Clair

What kind of injury does Chyzyk and St Clair have?

& THANKS (I'm not arguing ) I have been hearing that for years

Does anyone know it it is 100% true North & South ?

I have been a hunter & even a guide my entire adult life & always took great pride of having a internal GPS - I hate the feeling when I'm not certain

12 minutes ago, Fetch said:

& THANKS (I'm not arguing ) I have been hearing that for years

Does anyone know it it is 100% true North & South ?

I have been a hunter & even a guide my entire adult life & always took great pride of having a internal GPS - I hate the feeling when I'm not certain

Judging from http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/ralph-engelstad-arena/view/google/ the ice sheets run North/South.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jk said:

It's clear that right now SCSU is playing extremely well.  They're just pouring pucks into the net.  Really only Denver seems about as hot and able to challenge them as the best team in the west.  It remains to be seen whether any western team can compete with the best from the east, but that'll be seen soon enough.

My point here is that the season is long, teams go through stretches where things seem off, and poor results sometimes follow.  We can all trot out examples from title years, but this one has stuck with me over the years.  On February 4th and 5th of 2000, the Sioux went to St. Cloud and scored zero goals in the first 119:46 of the series, losing 3-0 on Friday and only scoring the tying goal in Saturday's 1-1 tie with 13 seconds left in the third period with six attackers on the ice.  Listening to the games, you would think they'd never score again.  Sometimes you can't get the puck across the line no matter what, and sometimes it's a piece of cake, like it was for the CBS line earlier and for SCSU and Denver right now.

But the UND team that was filling the net earlier this year didn't just forget how to do it.  It's still there, and we'll see it again.  It's a different era and especially a different league, but that 2000 UND team did score 77 goals in its remaining 16 games after the trip to St. Cloud.  Mainly because the defense is so smooth with the puck and the forwards have a nice mix of grit and skill, I think we'll see a fair bit of offense from this team yet this year.

I was at the Saturday game...  You would have thought SCSU had won the Stanley Cup. After that Weekend... Well, we know the rest.

30 minutes ago, Goon said:

I was at the Saturday game...  You would have thought SCSU had won the Stanley Cup. After that Weekend... Well, we know the rest.

We were much easier to please back then. :)

Unlike 2000, it looks like we'll avoid Michigan in Yost this year. Minnesota in St. Paul is still a strong possibility. I'm both excited and nervous about that prospect.