SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. UMD Bulldogs - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

It is mind boggling why UMD does not have a better record.  They played outstanding defense this weekend.  They kept UND out of the good shooting zones in front of the net all weekend, until Boeser's goal.  UND simply could not get the shooting positions they usually have.

From my perspective, the penalty shot on Friday night was deserved.  As soon as Poganski was taken down I said to my wife that this could be a penalty shot.

16 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Everyone keeps ignoring the fact that not only did Pogo have a good chance, but he had a teammate crashing on the opposite wing.  That contributing factor tips it to the PS in my opinion.  

Also, they blew the play dead before UMD gained possession of the puck and UND had guys following the play... If that's a penalty they may have scored on a trailer AND received a power play 

22 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

It is mind boggling why UMD does not have a better record.  They played outstanding defense this weekend.  They kept UND out of the good shooting zones in front of the net all weekend, until Boeser's goal.  UND simply could not get the shooting positions they usually have.

2 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Don't understand the back and forth talk on here about how "bad" UND and UMD look? Look like a tight, shut down D, total playoff type game to me. Not much fun for the fans, but par for the time of year, and for what's on the line.

UMD's record is baffling. I would sweat about DU, UMD, and CC if I was playing. In that order...

It was a tight defensive weekend, people think without offense it means teams are playing poorly. As for UMD...can't figure it out. They just can't score against teams not named CC and WMU in conference. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Few things from this series:

How UMD is a below .500 team is baffling.

It's baffling how they can't score. With the players UMD has they should score way more, yet they don't. I really don't get it. They havent quit on their coach or teammates. They play hard and work hard but get nothing to show for it. It's very aggravating. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Emerald joker said:

Just rewatched the high lights from last night. If they have Stecher a 5 for that push that's stupid. Then they're going to start giving 5 minute majors for a lot of pushing. It should be a 2 at most

It was a cross check in the back going into the boards. Dangerous hit. I don't think he should sit though. If there were 5 minutes left, no way he sits the next game.

Edited by stoneySIOUX

14 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Tough weekend of hockey but always good to come away with a sweep. Not a real crisp game offensively with lots of missed passes and maybe overhandling/overpassing the puck at times. The defense was very good tonight real good job of limiting time and space. Don't really want to see Duluth at all come playoff time not because of how good they are but because of how chippy they are especially with the stickwork. So much slashing from them that went uncalled this weekend surprised nobody left with a hand/wrist injury. Will probably see the same type of play from Omaha next week so we should be prepared. I don't think Stecher will be suspended next weekend nor do I think he should be. I thought the Duluth guy was going down already which  made the hit look worse.

Yeah, I don't disagree that it should be 5, but most majors don't result in suspensions.  If the thinking is he didn't have to serve any time on an end of game foul, then neither did Pionk with his 10 minute unsportsmanlike after the game on Friday.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I agree, don't understand coach Berry talk good about LJ in the post game?

I was watching LJ too much, he was driving me nuts! 

Don't understand the back and forth talk on here about how "bad" UND and UMD look? Look like a tight, shut down D, total playoff type game to me. Not much fun for the fans, but par for the time of year, and for what's on the line.

UMD's record is baffling. I would sweat about DU, UMD, and CC if I was playing. In that order...

Based on some of the other results around the league this weekend, it sure isn't "par for the time of year" for everybody. Cripes, SCSU and Omaha combined for 9 goals last night (3 more than both of our games combined). But when Duluth does such a good job of solid, fundamental blocking and tackling, I guess those are the results you will get. :silly: ???

I think UND and St. Cloud have two of the most skilled teams in the league and I think it will serve them well when playing against teams that average 5+ goals/game like Boston College (maybe that's an exaggeration, but the point still stands).

LJ perplexs me - Loved his old man 

I like his toughness & meanness but a lot of times it seems more stupid than tough - I like a tough guy with a chip on his shoulder - his in ur face play is needed on this team of skilled potential superstars 

I don't want him to sit if anything be meaner / tougher but at the same time smarter - I don't think he thinks about it just does it & that he seems tough to coach 

So I say turn him loose & praise him for what he is - maybe someone can help him find a way to be great & throw his weight around in more ways that helps the team 

There is something special there but learning to respect & enjoy it has been difficult

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Assuming we get Chyz back, I am thinking about a line chart like this:

1.  CBS

2.  Chyzk centering Gersich and Pogo

3.  Rhett centering JJ and LJ

4.  Simonson centering Sanderson and Olson

Gage and Stecher

Poolman and LaDue

Wolanin and Shaw

I think the 4th line is now set for the rest of the season after this weekend.  

26-22-11

• Upvote 1

From where I sit, which is a looong way from the ice, the reason to keep LJ on the ice boils down to face-off wins.  He's averaging just over 53% on the year, not stellar, but better than many of his teammates.  Gardner is at about the same percentage, with less draws taken.  Other than that, his play is largely unimpressive, with poor penalties taken being far too common.  I can forgive penalties if you score 25 goals.  Just sayin'. 

• Upvote 2

While I'm at it I think Stecher is about to break out to greatness maybe never seen here before. 

He is tired of playing down to the normal standards & expectations of D men 

This kid has skills that should not be restricted in any way

Let him encourage him to be all he can be

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, 808287 said:

From where I sit, which is a looong way from the ice, the reason to keep LJ on the ice boils down to face-off wins.  He's averaging just over 53% on the year, not stellar, but better than many of his teammates.  Gardner is at about the same percentage, with less draws taken.  Other than that, his play is largely unimpressive, with poor penalties taken being far too common.  I can forgive penalties if you score 25 goals.  Just sayin'. 

The only reason to keep him on the ice is to take faceoffs. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Goon said:

For those that are wondering, I included the hit on Rhett Gardner. I don't know if anyone noticed but he took a hard hit to the shoulder and I thought he was coming off the ice. He stayed on. Tough western Canadian kid. I also included the hit in question at the end of the game. 

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It was a cross check in the back going into the boards. Dangerous hit. I don't think he should sit though. If there were 5 minutes left, no way he sits the next game.

Idk, if it was a cross check right at the boards maybe, but it looked like they were 5 ft from the boards. Idk, things are getting called tighter all the time and then you have guys acting like they just got killed. Pretty soon checking is going to be a penalty which is stupid cuz all that does is reward the player that acts like he's hurt or that has terrible balance on skates which seems to be the way it's going right now, so reward the checkie and punish the checker.....pansy hockey

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish said:

I hope we signs of this group playing better as a team now towards the end of the season.  Too much fancy passing from the top line and not much contribution from others.  We have some work to do in order to hang any banner.

Step away from the ledge. The weekend was ugly to watch, but a sweep is a sweep and I like our team this year.

• Upvote 1