SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

Its up to the WCHA if they think Minot St is worth the financial risk, not us.  Any new program is a risk, including UND back in the day.

I was referring more to the public perception risk taken by Minot by adding men's and women's hockey during a budget crunch, especially when their current sports aren't competitively funded. 

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I was referring more to the public perception risk taken by Minot by adding men's and women's hockey during a budget crunch, especially when their current sports aren't competitively funded. 

Moorhead didn't fully fund DII scholarships either, but they tried to fundraiser for hockey because it would have taken them over NDSU is at least one sport.

Minot wants a flagship sport too, as their Northern Sun teams are bottom feeders.  As posted before, they moved to DII not to compete in NSIC sports, but to position themselves for DI hockey.  Don't think the NDBOHE will make them have an endowment of $37 mill for hockey, as Moorhead had to do before starting hockey.

17 hours ago, cberkas said:

It sounds like the B1G will stay at 7 teams. The B1G isn't going to share any B1G Network revenue with John Hopkins and Notre Dame because they both have their own TV deals. So if the B1G adds another affiliate for hockey they most likely will have to share B1G Network revenue with any other affiliates. If someone is good at adding videos from Twitter there is one on BTN Live's Twitter posted on March 23rd talking to Traviola about hockey and adding Notre Dame. 

Link to the video of Traviola>

http://www.btn2go.com/video/brad-traviolia-talks-big-ten-hockey

On 3/26/2016 at 3:44 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

And please stop talking about college hockey as if it operates under the exact same dynamics as college basketball or football. As the current sorry state of the B1G hockey conference proves, you cannot manufacture instant college hockey success in a vacuum. BTN has not made the B1G #1 with a bullet like some people on this forum insisted it would.

When Mich Tech is in the NCHC, I'll start listening to your lectures how money and media don't matter in hockey.

after watching that video i agree with that writer that said that the big10 getting north dakota would "be a coup"...adding notre dame and north dakota fixes a lot of problems with big10 hockey almost overnight...instead of like he said where waiting for nebraska or iowa to add hockey is years down the road and with that you have to add years and years to build those programs and attendance and rivalries...add the evil university of north dakota and the equally evil notre dame and you solve a lot of problems quickly.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

after watching that video i agree with that writer that said that the big10 getting north dakota would "be a coup"...adding notre dame and north dakota fixes a lot of problems with big10 hockey almost overnight...instead of like he said where waiting for nebraska or iowa to add hockey is years down the road and with that you have to add years and years to build those programs and attendance and rivalries...add the evil university of north dakota and the equally evil notre dame and you solve a lot of problems quickly.

As I said before no matter what conference UND ends up in...it'll end up in the better conference. :D

It's good to be King. 

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:42 AM, Cratter said:

"Big deal.  How many professional wrestlers have those schools produced?  You can't tell me the Junk Yard Dog or the Macho Man came from any of those schools."

I believe both Junk Yard Dog and Macho Man were both McDonald's All-American's.  Fierce recruiting battles.  One and done.   : -)

If offered und will go.  Need the money for coa. I don't like the days the big ten play the games.Not sure it's a good move.     I don't live in Grand Forks and would not be able to attend as many games.  As a season ticket holder there are many of us that drive to the games Friday and Saturday nights from 150 - 200 miles away and some stay over night.  Won't work well with work.

3 minutes ago, elkman said:

If offered und will go.  Need the money for coa. I don't like the days the big ten play the games.Not sure it's a good move.     I don't live in Grand Forks and would not be able to attend as many games.  As a season ticket holder there are many of us that drive to the games Friday and Saturday nights from 150 - 200 miles away and some stay over night.  Won't work well with work.

I think it's been pretty well established that with hockey being the main show on campus, that worry will have zero effect on season ticket holders. Out of town games, might cause problems once in a while.

1 hour ago, snova4 said:

I think it's been pretty well established that with hockey being the main show on campus, that worry will have zero effect on season ticket holders. Out of town games, might cause problems once in a while.

The bigger problem is what it would do to UND's hockey program over time. The big ten hockey conference has been nothing but mediocre teams that believe they have a right to be considered top teir. Also as an afilliate member I question how big a check UND would actually get from the BG10. The reality is the Big ten dosen't care that much about hockey, all the hockey coferance was supposed to be was a quick cash in on what they thought were 5 elite programs and one up and coming program with good potential. Additionally coverage on the BGten network is a dubious prosepct at best, the Network has only shown 2 games a night at best, and if baskeball is on hockey won't be aired. Addtionally they care about name recoknition more than skill, theoretically UND could be playing a noncofrence match up against denver or MN Duluth and they will air Michigan State vs Ohio. Lets no fall for the same BS sales pitch that the bigten sold the 5 hockey schools. The bigten hockey programs have been so damaged that they might not recover fully for another 4 - 6 years assuming they make changes to coaching staff and recruiting practices, do we really want that for UND hockey? The obvious anwser should be "no". Right now the Big10 is not a risk worth taking for any program, outside of maybe an Alabama Huntsville or an Alaska Anchorage. The only exceptionwould be if the BigTen offered to Make UND a Full member of the Big10, then of course UND should accept. However this will never happen for at least two reasons. 1 - many of UND's Facilities such as basketball and football are too small to meet bigten requirements. 2 - The Big10 will never accept and of the Dakota schools, the Big10 and its member instutions as well as the fans few any of the Dakota Schools as lesser instutuions that do not desevre to exist in the same universe as the the Big10 I doubt the day would ever come where they would swallow there pride and let them join, otherwise NDSU probably would have recived an offer a few years ago.

29 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

The bigger problem is what it would do to UND's hockey program over time. The big ten hockey conference has been nothing but mediocre teams that believe they have a right to be considered top teir. Also as an afilliate member I question how big a check UND would actually get from the BG10. The reality is the Big ten dosen't care that much about hockey, all the hockey coferance was supposed to be was a quick cash in on what they thought were 5 elite programs and one up and coming program with good potential. Additionally coverage on the BGten network is a dubious prosepct at best, the Network has only shown 2 games a night at best, and if baskeball is on hockey won't be aired. Addtionally they care about name recoknition more than skill, theoretically UND could be playing a noncofrence match up against denver or MN Duluth and they will air Michigan State vs Ohio. Lets no fall for the same BS sales pitch that the bigten sold the 5 hockey schools. The bigten hockey programs have been so damaged that they might not recover fully for another 4 - 6 years assuming they make changes to coaching staff and recruiting practices, do we really want that for UND hockey? The obvious anwser should be "no". Right now the Big10 is not a risk worth taking for any program, outside of maybe an Alabama Huntsville or an Alaska Anchorage. The only exceptionwould be if the BigTen offered to Make UND a Full member of the Big10, then of course UND should accept. However this will never happen for at least two reasons. 1 - many of UND's Facilities such as basketball and football are too small to meet bigten requirements. 2 - The Big10 will never accept and of the Dakota schools, the Big10 and its member instutions as well as the fans few any of the Dakota Schools as lesser instutuions that do not desevre to exist in the same universe as the the Big10 I doubt the day would ever come where they would swallow there pride and let them join, otherwise NDSU probably would have recived an offer a few years ago.

I was just replying to the question brought up about home games. I'm against the possibility myself. Be in the conference that focuses on hockey, but at the same time, I'm not under the illusion that the Bigs problems are going to long lasting. Enjoy their mediocrity while you can, they have proud programs that won't stay down forever.

It would do nothing to UND. UND has a good coaching staff in place and the facilities in place to recruit just as good, if not better than anyone in the country. Of course the network only shows 2 games per night at best, do you want games to be at even more weird hours? Has CBS college sports ever aired more than 2 games per night? If a game isn't broadcast on BTN then someone else, like Midco, can televise it. It's not like UND would be locked into only having BTN games on TV. If BTN would rather air MSU vs OSU than UND vs UMD (which they would, because it's a conference game) either Midco or FSN can televise the UND-UMD game.

There was no sales pitch sold to B1G schools. With 6 teams the B1G could finally have a conference and the schools essentially have no say in that because it's the conference that makes them insane amounts of money. With their new TV contract being negotiated right now it should easily be the highest revenue producing conference in the country again. When you're in a conference like that you can't say no to them unless everyone says no. It didn't play out like that. Minnesota was the only B1G school against it.

The B1G teams biggest problems can be attributed to coaching and recruiting, which is part of coaching. That's about to change. Wisconsin will be back in no time with their new coaching staff, so that pairwise suck hole will be gone and help the entire conference. There are rumors that Lucia might be retiring (or less likely, taking another job) this off season as well, which I personally think may be a good thing. I appreciate everything he's done, but I think it's about time to move in a new direction. MSU really needs to make a coaching change. But as of now there should be 4 solid teams in the B1G most years. 5 when Notre Dame joins in a couple of years. 5 of 7 teams is pretty good. Could possibly get to 6 good/decent teams with a coaching change at MSU. I don't have any faith that OSU will ever be anything more than a middle of the pack or bottom feeder team in the conference. The conference is going to be better than it has been, I would bet money on it. Add UND into the B1G hockey conference with Notre Dame and some of the teams recovering a little bit (which they will) and you would easily have the premier conference in college hockey with both name brand recognition and overall history in the sport college hockey. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, snova4 said:

I was just replying to the question brought up about home games. I'm against the possibility myself. Be in the conference that focuses on hockey, but at the same time, I'm not under the illusion that the Bigs problems are going to long lasting. Enjoy their mediocrity while you can, they have proud programs that won't stay down forever.

No but how long it will take for them to recover is anybody's guess.I think it will take at least four years and that is assuming the schools actually put effort into making the changes needed. I think we can safely say that hockey is not high on the priorities list for Mich State or Ohio State. Wisconson is a train wreck it may take longer for that program to rebuild. The Goofers probably have the will, they need to get Lucia out and a new coach in there but one thing that that the City pages article never metioned is the role that the alumni old boys network and nepotism plays at the U. If you want to get a good coach in at the U of M then they will want to know that they are going to have the freedom needed to run their team. Depending on how long it takes for these schools to swallow their pride and make the needed changes could mean the differance between the BG10 recovery taking 4 years or taking 10 years. Personally I I don't see them making a quick recovery, I think if ASU goes to the NCHC it will get harder for the BG10 to poach UND or Miami from NCHC. Bigten might have a better chance with the WCHA except for the fact that Lucia's little age limit propsoal would hurt the smaller schools more than any other group so Minnesota State, Michigan Tech, Bowling Green and Ferris State aren't going to go out of their way to help out the U of M.

The B1G deputy commish said Notre Dame was getting nothing for revenue because they had their own TV deal. Makes sense. Notre Dame broadcasts their home games under their TV deal (NBCSN) and the rest of the B1G stay with their existing TV deal (BTN). 

I still say if (and that's a BIG IF) the B1G came to call they'd treat UND the same way: you get nothing, but you control TV for your home games. I wonder if that scenario would get FCS (Fox Sports North) interest. 

I'd say UND would be very wise to hold onto (call it a deal-breaker) one other thing: Ensure that games are always Fri/Sat at home. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The B1G deputy commish said Notre Dame was getting nothing for revenue because they had their own TV deal. Makes sense. Notre Dame broadcasts their home games under their TV deal (NBCSN) and the rest of the B1G stay with their existing TV deal (BTN). 

I still say if (and that's a BIG IF) the B1G came to call they'd treat UND the same way: you get nothing, but you control TV for your home games. I wonder if that scenario would get FCS (Fox Sports North) interest. 

I'd say UND would be very wise to hold onto (call it a deal-breaker) one other thing: Ensure that games are always Fri/Sat at home. 

I've said that from the beginning but people don't think that it is a big deal. In all reality, this is basically a fun topic to chat about on SS but I would be willing to bet that the B10 will not ask UND to join. There would be no benefit for UND joining anyway.

24 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I've said that from the beginning but people don't think that it is a big deal. In all reality, this is basically a fun topic to chat about on SS but I would be willing to bet that the B10 will not ask UND to join. There would be no benefit for UND joining anyway.

You can't honestly believe that there would be nothing to gain for UND if they were in any way associated with the B1G?  Even taking away any potential money/academic ties, and looking only at  it from a hockey perspective, there are benefits.  Sure the B1G is down now, but that will not stay the same.  Everything is cyclical.  Having the B1G schools on UND's schedule on a regular basis will attract more fans, especially if UND beats them on a regular basis.  I know many of the "old school" hockey fans have a tough time believing that there is any value to the B1G, but it's there...especially if/when they decide to devote even a percentage of their budget to improve their hockey programs.  Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan will not stay down for long.  

I believe it's a moot point anyways, as I think it's a pretty slim chance we get an invitation.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

There would be no benefit for UND joining anyway.

Annual home games with Minnesota and Wisconsin? Think: premium pricing. 

Like I say to certain other fans in another forum, "How things are today is how they'll always be." Right? 

36 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

You can't honestly believe that there would be nothing to gain for UND if they were in any way associated with the B1G?  Even taking away any potential money/academic ties, and looking only at  it from a hockey perspective, there are benefits.  Sure the B1G is down now, but that will not stay the same.  Everything is cyclical.  Having the B1G schools on UND's schedule on a regular basis will attract more fans, especially if UND beats them on a regular basis.  I know many of the "old school" hockey fans have a tough time believing that there is any value to the B1G, but it's there...especially if/when they decide to devote even a percentage of their budget to improve their hockey programs.  Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan will not stay down for long.  

I believe it's a moot point anyways, as I think it's a pretty slim chance we get an invitation.

True, I shouldn't have said it the way I did. What I was trying to say was, why leave a conference that you are in control of and would get a better share of TV money? Also, it would only be a matter of time before the B10 adds another original member from the B10 and UND is out. Seeing as Minnesota has let the "cooling off" period come to and end, we will likely see more teams like Wisconsin and Minnesota on a regular basis. Not only that but after the season the B10 teams had this year, I am willing to bet you will see a lot more schools from the B10 schedule better out of conference games.

• Upvote 1

I don't see why UND would want to join the B10....   They offer big names but little else....   What I do like about the NCHC is it kept traditional rivalries.   I would prefer Denver, St. Cloud State, Duluth and UNO to anything the B10 has to offer....   Of course money talks and I don't have any idea what the financial ramifications would be joining the B10.  I have little interest sitting home and holding my breath to play Ohio state, Michigan State, or Penn State.  They can schedule Minny and Sconnie on the side.   I'm fine with beating Michigan in the NCAA's.

• Upvote 1

I would join the Big 10 without hesitation if it were clear that it wasn't a hockey-only thing forever.  Every other school in the big 10 is a large research institution, and an affiliation with that conference could only help UND's national reptuation for those of us who work outside the NHL for a living.

• Upvote 3