SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (3-2) vs Montana (5-0)

SWSiouxMN

1 minute ago, F'n Hawks said:

IF they u win out in Reno then yes

I was thinking that too but on a bit of a more limited contract to see if it's a flash in the pan. The players we have now are talented. They too will have vote in how this team fares moving forward. Jones can have the greatest plans in the world on paper but if Q and company don't execute, then it's all for naught. 

41 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I was thinking that too but on a bit of a more limited contract to see if it's a flash in the pan. The players we have now are talented. They too will have vote in how this team fares moving forward. Jones can have the greatest plans in the world on paper but if Q and company don't execute, then it's all for naught. 

In collegiate athletics, the head coach is also responsible for the players who are expected to execute; that is, he's recruited each and every one of them.

I'm sorry, but this all falls on Jones, either directly or indirectly. Barring a miracle, he needs to be let go when the season concludes. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

Jones, just like the new nickname, can't be gone soon enough. 

Well, chances are you'll get your wish on 1 of 2. Sounds like the football players in attendance today at the Betty were solidly behind the new nickname. I guess they're setting themselves up as the loyal opposition to the puck heads. 

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In collegiate athletics, the head coach is also responsible for the players who are expected to execute; that is, he's recruited each and every one of them.

I'm sorry, but this all falls on Jones, either directly or indirectly. Barring a miracle, he needs to be let go when the season concludes. 

Too true  .... HC takes the blame; players take the credit. I think that's how Jones likes it. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I believe he's got good player's overall.  How he uses them (or doesn't), and his play calling (or lack thereof) in closing minutes makes me scratch my head.  I honestly cringe in the final minutes of close games.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, niouxsiouxfan said:

I believe he's got good player's overall.  How he uses them (or doesn't), and his play calling (or lack thereof) in closing minutes makes me scratch my head.  I honestly cringe in the final minutes of close games.

You and me both. It's nerve wracking. 

3 hours ago, niouxsiouxfan said:

i remember watching the sdsu game a couple years back in brookings...we jumped out to a huge lead...twenty or more or something...even with a huge lead jones was jumping around waving his arms yelling screaming...the sdsu coach just sat back and remained calm and coached his team back into...und messed up something at the end and und lost... jones was still jumping and swearing and maybe even got t'd up  i can't remember...i do remember we lost the game and from that game on my opinion on jones has soured and a few "good" wins hasn't changed much with me this year...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i remember watching the sdsu game a couple years back in brookings...we jumped out to a huge lead...twenty or more or something...even with a huge lead jones was jumping around waving his arms yelling screaming...the sdsu coach just sat back and remained calm and coached his team back into...und messed up something at the end and und lost... jones was still jumping and swearing and maybe even got t'd up  i can't remember...i do remember we lost the game and from that game on my opinion on jones has soured and a few "good" wins hasn't changed much with me this year...

It was a last second  3 pt make to win it. I was pretty ticked off too!  That one stung a bit. 

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Players played well most of game, near end of it they didn't and I feared or even knew it was coming (choke job).  The way it has continued on and on repeatedly it's gotta rest on the coach.  Yah, refs did not help at all with some bad calls and some bad non-calls but not scoring in the last 4 min comes down to execution and coaching and sorry, but you can't fire/release the whole team, its gotta be the coach.    

• Upvote 1

The team is headed in the right direction with a lot of young talent without either of the seniors playing. The change in the attitude of the team is noticeable and a welcome relief from the past couple years. The best part is, there is still a ton of room for improvement and they are already multiple steps ahead of where they were at the beginning of the season.

Not sure what the UM coach's problem was. I watched the replay multiple times, Jones shook his hand and went to the next guy. Apparently he was expecting to have a nice long conversation about how he convinced the ref's to make a few of those head scratching calls/non-calls. I mean, a guy grabbed the rim while the ball was in the air and no basket interference was called. Huh?! No clue what he was trying to prove by bringing it up again post-game.

Avants was a nice surprise yesterday, plays much bigger than he is. Shanks is playing at less than 100% and it shows. Was fairly sick early in the season and don't think he has his strength back yet. It was also mentioned at the luncheon that he was wearing a boot around. He plays with his emotion on his sleeves (sometimes to a detriment) but he's not performing at the level he knows he can and it compounds. Probably a good spot to mention he has one full year of college ball under his belt and 2 1/2 more years to go. He'll be fine and UND needs to him to make a run in March.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Shanks is playing at less than 100% and it shows. Was fairly sick early in the season and don't think he has his strength back yet. It was also mentioned at the luncheon that he was wearing a boot around. He plays with his emotion on his sleeves (sometimes to a detriment) but he's not performing at the level he knows he can and it compounds. Probably a good spot to mention he has one full year of college ball under his belt and 2 1/2 more years to go. He'll be fine and UND needs to him to make a run in March.

You are right in that UND has a lot of talent on their team. However, Carson Shanks is not one of those players. He would make a very good center in the NSIC (not even the best in that league), but he is not a D1 center. He's averaging 7 points and 4 rebounds a game, and I don't see that improving much over the next two years. He is a transfer from another mid-major program. There is usually a reason they are transferring, and it isn't because they are lighting it up at their previous school. See DeRouen, Tyler, Shanks, etc. 

• Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

You are right in that UND has a lot of talent on their team. However, Carson Shanks is not one of those players. He would make a very good center in the NSIC (not even the best in that league), but he is not a D1 center. He's averaging 7 points and 4 rebounds a game, and I don't see that improving much over the next two years. He is a transfer from another mid-major program. There is usually a reason they are transferring, and it isn't because they are lighting it up at their previous school. See DeRouen, Tyler, Shanks, etc. 

Get a clue or quit trolling. He transferred after his first semester at college, where he was redshirting, to be closer to home. NDSU was one of the multiple schools that tried to get him after he decided to transfer, so if he's "NSIC talent", please tell me what that says about their talent evaluation. Pretty amusing you don't think that a player who has one year of college experience under their belt will improve in the next 2 1/2 years. I've seen what he can do, if he can stay healthy, he will be more than fine.

Estan Tyler started at UMKC, not sure what the dig at him is about.

44 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The team is headed in the right direction with a lot of young talent without either of the seniors playing. The change in the attitude of the team is noticeable and a welcome relief from the past couple years. The best part is, there is still a ton of room for improvement and they are already multiple steps ahead of where they were at the beginning of the season.

Not sure what the UM coach's problem was. I watched the replay multiple times, Jones shook his hand and went to the next guy. Apparently he was expecting to have a nice long conversation about how he convinced the ref's to make a few of those head scratching calls/non-calls. I mean, a guy grabbed the rim while the ball was in the air and no basket interference was called. Huh?! No clue what he was trying to prove by bringing it up again post-game.

Avants was a nice surprise yesterday, plays much bigger than he is. Shanks is playing at less than 100% and it shows. Was fairly sick early in the season and don't think he has his strength back yet. It was also mentioned at the luncheon that he was wearing a boot around. He plays with his emotion on his sleeves (sometimes to a detriment) but he's not performing at the level he knows he can and it compounds. Probably a good spot to mention he has one full year of college ball under his belt and 2 1/2 more years to go. He'll be fine and UND needs to him to make a run in March.

considering his incident with the NAU coach last year....

I see they are still crying about not getting on the court on Friday. Please, they were lucky to win.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Get a clue or quit trolling. He transferred after his first semester at college, where he was redshirting, to be closer to home. NDSU was one of the multiple schools that tried to get him after he decided to transfer, so if he's "NSIC talent", please tell me what that says about their talent evaluation. Pretty amusing you don't think that a player who has one year of college experience under their belt will improve in the next 2 1/2 years.

Estan Tyler started at UMKC, not sure what the dig at him is about.

I was curious about the Tyler dig, too. Very solid player at both schools, who made tough personal decisions based on family matters. 

10 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Jones lack of professionalism and class has been a trend, not an anomaly.  He did this exact same thing to, of all people, Ben Jacobson. Just 2 recent examples.

Outside of his fly-by handshakes, his demeanor overall on the sideline has been and is embarrassing.  If he didn't have a track record of this behavior, I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in this most recent situation.

Growing up and watching the Dave Gunther and Rich Glas coached teams at UND, regardless of the talent or product on the floor on a nightly basis, you would have never seen either of those 2 act that way towards an opposing coach.

I dont for a second blame a coach for being sour about getting throttled at home like he did against UNI - he should be upset.  However, it's on the coach to not allow that to happen and furthermore, a leader in his position needs to be able to gather himself for a professional handshake, especially for a guy like Jake.  Furthermore, his overall demeanor, body language, facial expressions and antics at courtside no doubt are contagious and rub off on the players.  Very poor optics for a leader, especially given the record.

I know others disagree, but I guess I'm disappointed that this behavior is being defended and somehow seen as acceptable.  It would be one thing if there was some sort of dirty altercation between the players and/or coaches, but that has not been the case.

The talent on this team is there.  The only thing holding it back is its leadership.  It has been a detriment and will continue to be.  Underachieving has been a staple for years now.  The sample size is overwhelming.

I just want this basketball program to be great again, in all aspects, from the top-down.

The problem with the whole lack of supposed professionalism critique that is aimed at Jones is that it  seems so relative. If he's winning, everyone loves it and celebrates it as if it's a badge of honor. But when there's blood in the water, it's called an embarrassment. I think it's really much ado about nothing, really, coming from folks with ulterior concerns, such as getting BJ out of here. I could agree with them, but I just want to see how the season plays out first before I start calling for someone's head. 

Really liked Avants game yesterday. He is the type of hard-nosed player we need. Bruenig still ended up with good stats but I thought Avants did a very respectable job of guarding him at least in the first half. He showed he has a bit of range too with a deep 2-pointer. I would like to see him continue to get a lot of minutes. I think he provides more than Shanks at this point.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

Really liked Avants game yesterday. He is the type of hard-nosed player we need. Bruenig still ended up with good stats but I thought Avants did a very respectable job of guarding him at least in the first half. He showed he has a bit of range too with a deep 2-pointer. I would like to see him continue to get a lot of minutes. I think he provides more than Shanks at this point.

My thoughts,  too!

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

The problem with the whole lack of supposed professionalism that is aimed at Jones is that it's would seem so very relative. If he's winning, everyone loves it and celebrate it as if it's badge go honor. But when there's blood in the water, it's called an embarrassment. I think it's really much ado about nothing, really, coming from folks with ulterior concerns, such as getting BJ out of here. I could agree with them, but I just want to see how the season plays out first before I start calling for someone's head. 

I can't recall anybody bragging about his fly-by handshakes and poopy pant face on the sidelines, even during/after wins.  He is just much worse when they lose.

• Upvote 4