SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (3-2) vs Montana (5-0)

SWSiouxMN

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:34 PM, Teeder11 said:

I mean when have you ever not seen a call when an opposing player jumps up and hangs on the rim and then releases only to cause the goal to shake after the shot is in the air?

i will call a spade a spade when it's merited. Today is not a day to crap on the team or coaching effort. 

Refs missed 2 very obvious basket interference calls against the griz.  They didn't review either one.  Frustrating!

15 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Refs missed 2 very obvious basket interference calls against the griz.  They didn't review either one.  Frustrating!

I know there isn't a real  one, but it makes you wonder sometimes if there isn't a psychological "Montana Rule" in the back of the refs' minds that gives the Griz the benefit of the doubt a lot of times.  Those were some blatant misses. Just goes to show, we can't continue to let the refs factor into the equation. Win and win convincingly.  

3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I know there isn't a real  one, but it makes you wonder sometimes if there isn't a psychological "Montana Rule" in the back of the refs' minds that gives the Griz the benefit of the doubt a lot of times.  Those were some blatant misses. Just goes to show, we can't continue to let the refs factor into the equation. Win and win convincingly.  

Or the fact that they didn't score over the last 3:08 seconds of the game. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Yes, we can't let these games be close and let the refs decide how it will turn out.

Another thing I have noticed is Hooker has gotten the last shot twice (that I know of) to win/tie the game and both times he drove it into traffic and came up with nothing, grazing the rim only.  Vs. NDSU and Montana.  

He is not exactly an acrobatic, high-flyer out there.  Wouldn't he be more suited for a one-on-one at top of the key and then maybe a pull-up jumper, which he is so good at, or a kickout if doubled?  Seems like he goes in way too deep and then can't get the shot off because all the big guys come over to contest.  

I know it's nitpicking but it reminded me of the NDSU ending.  

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Another thing I have noticed is Hooker has gotten the last shot twice (that I know of) to win/tie the game and both times he drove it into traffic and came up with nothing, not even rim.  Vs. NDSU and Montana.  

He is not exactly an acrobatic, high-flyer out there.  Wouldn't he be more suited for a one-on-one at top of the key and then maybe a pull-up jumper, which he is so good at, or a kickout if doubled?  Seems like he goes in way too deep and then can't get the shot off because all the big guys come over to contest.  

I know it's nitpicking but it reminded me of the NDSU ending.  

I agree, in both games he got too far into the trees and had to throw up a crazy shot ( that he is capable of making, but he can get a better shot than that ), he needs take that pull up jumper or floater before he gets to far into the trees

Obviously UND's men's basketball budget  (as well as UND football's budget, although it's improving) is not where it needs to be; however, eventually, it falls on the program to start winning and to start generating more revenue. Brian Jones' teams have had several opportunities to put together big wins and increase support, but they do not capitilize. That's why a coaching change needs to be made; if the Betty was constantly hosting crowds of 2000+, that would help the program grow. Not to mention, a video board upgrade is coming for next season, which should improve the in-game presentation to a degree. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I wanted to see McD or Baldwin fire up a 3 for the tie.  I love watching Q but his drive to the lane looking for the basket and foul at the end of the game has not worked in his 3 years at UND.

I was thinking the same thing. Driving to the basket and hoping for a foul is a crap shoot. And if you get the basket and not the foul, it's the same as missing a 3 pointer because you likely will not get the ball back.

10 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I heard the refs missed what should have been a basket interference call on Syracuse early in the second half, so it's perfectly understandable.   ;)

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I heard the refs missed what should have been a basket interference call on Syracuse early in the second half, so it's perfectly understandable.   ;)

I know you were joking but actually Coach K was pretty upset about what he thought were two missed calls at the end of the game to the point of letting the ACC Senior Associate Commissioner (who happened to be sitting courtside) what he thought about the reffing.

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I know you were joking but actually Coach K was pretty upset about what he thought were two missed calls at the end of the game to the point of letting the ACC Senior Associate Commissioner (who happened to be sitting courtside) what he thought about the reffing.

I didn't know any of that; I saw the beginning of the game but not the end.   sounds like he went to the proper people with his complaint.    

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I didn't know any of that; I saw the beginning of the game but not the end.   sounds like he went to the proper people with his complaint.    

Possibly, but watching the video, I'm going to go ahead and guess he didn't quite follow proper protocol and will get a little note from the ACC on how he went about doing it...

On a related note, I didn't see any complaints from Boeheim in his post game press conference about it, he actually defended him saying that he was told Coach K was distracted by students or something. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

A six point lead at home with 3:30 to play becomes a loss. 

These guys couldn't close the deal in the "free test drives" room at a whore house. 

WOW! WHAT  What a Comeback by Montana a WHOLE 6 point lead in basketball ... 6 points is that like 10 baskets or something??

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1