SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (3-2) vs Montana (5-0)

SWSiouxMN

5 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I'm just saying if UND wins the tourney and gets the autobid, then how do you fire someone like that? Not saying this is likely, but what if ...  Just a little premature to know for sure that you will fire a guy without knowing how the season ends.  I don't think that's too much to ask. 

True I just think even if that does happen he's the best option for us in the future. I mean obviously we aren't going to bring in Coach K (said that so hoops doesn't come in here saying it) but I truly think we can find better options. Heck I think Ryan Moody would be a better option even though that'd be a bit of a jump from a head coaching standpoint. 

8 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

True I just think even if that does happen he's the best option for us in the future. I mean obviously we aren't going to bring in Coach K (said that so hoops doesn't come in here saying it) but I truly think we can find better options. Heck I think Ryan Moody would be a better option even though that'd be a bit of a jump from a head coaching standpoint. 

Yeah, we'll see. Is it unprecedented, absent criminal or ethical violations, that a non-major (teams that need auto bids) coach has been canned after making The Dance?

To your point, I think the MSU Moorhead HC is an intriguing name to keep in your hip pocket if it comes to the point where UND makes a change. 

Just now, Teeder11 said:

Yeah, we'll see. Is it unprecedented, void of criminal or ethical violations, that a non-major (teams that need auto bids) coach has been canned after making The Dance. 

To to your point, I think the MSU Moorhead HC is an intriguing name to keep in your hip pocket if it comes to the point where UND makes a change. 

Agreed. I have to imagine if we make the championship game we will see Jones back, whether that's the right decision or not. Either way I am going to cheer for them the rest of the way. I wouldn't mind seeing us implement a small ball offense with Geno, Hooker, Baldwin, Seales and Bernstine out on the floor. I believe that's the lineup we had out for the EWU game when we pulled away.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Yeah, we'll see. Is it unprecedented, absent criminal or ethical violations, that a non-major (teams that need auto bids) coach has been canned after making The Dance?

To to your point, I think the MSU Moorhead HC is an intriguing name to keep in your hip pocket if it comes to the point where UND makes a change. 

Walthall is everything Jones isn't. Walthall would have this team at at least 12-5 if not 13-4 at this stage. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Walthall is everything Jones isn't. Walthall would have this team at at least 12-5 if not 13-4 at this stage. 

Curious, have you seen him coach? I know this board thinks very highly of him and what I have read he seems deserving. Just curious what his style is like and his demeanor on the sidelines.

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Agreed. I have to imagine if we make the championship game we will see Jones back, whether that's the right decision or not. Either way I am going to cheer for them the rest of the way. I wouldn't mind seeing us implement a small ball offense with Geno, Hooker, Baldwin, Seales and Bernstine out on the floor. I believe that's the lineup we had out for the EWU game when we pulled away.

I think you're right on that. I have also been thoroughly impressed with Avants for as young as he is. Sky's the limit for him. That said I wish he would have went up hard to the bucket on that one play under 4 minutes to score it off the glass or draw contact instead of kicking it out to the perimeter. That was 2 pts we could have used along with the 1-2 missed goal interference calls. We're getting there, just remember how young this team is. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Curious, have you seen him coach? I know this board thinks very highly of him and what I have read he seems deserving. Just curious what his style is like and his demeanor on the sidelines.

Yes.......I live in the FM area. 

Again he is the complete opposite of Jones in his sideline demeanor and his in game coaching/management.

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

111-45 record at msum. In his first year there (2010-2011) he led the team to its first winning record since 2002-2003

He has three 20 win seasons ( the last 20 win season before him was in 1981-1982 season)

Led the team to a 35-4 record last year and they are 19-2 this year

He isn't a complete maniac on the sideline and from what I have heard is a great coach 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

111-45 record at msum. In his first year there (2010-2011) he led the team to its first winning record since 2002-2003

He has three 20 win seasons ( the last 20 win season before him was in 1981-1982 season)

Led the team to a 35-4 record last year and they are 19-2 this year

He isn't a complete maniac on the sideline and from what I have heard is a great coach 

And he is doing it with a fraction of the resources UND has.

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And he is doing it with a fraction of the resources UND has.

It's all relative. Comparing what Moorhead and UND spend on things is pointless. I'd be more curious how their budget compares to the rest of their conference. Jones has one of the smallest budgets in the Big Sky. That's not an excuse, it's a fact.

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It's all relative. Comparing what Moorhead and UND spend on things is pointless. I'd be more curious how their budget compares to the rest of their conference. Jones has one of the smallest budgets in the Big Sky. That's not an excuse, it's a fact.

Jones having a (recent) Powerball winner's budget wouldn't change a thing.........

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Okay, point made. What about the lack of success Moorhead has had in MBB prior to this coach's hiring? It is a stark and clear difference. He is doing what others could not do and that is win at the Division II level.

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Jones having a (recent) Powerball winner's budget wouldn't change a thing.........

It would definitely help him get (and keep) some more experienced assistants. Having an assistant make a lateral move to USD should not happen.

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Okay, point made. What about the lack of success Moorhead has had in MBB prior to this coach's hiring? It is a stark and clear difference. He is doing what others could not do and that is win at the Division II level.

I'm not diminishing what Walthall is done at all, I happen to think he's a good coach from what I've seen and if UND goes a different direction, I hope he's at the top of the list. Just stating that directly comparing the budgets doesn't really make much of a point.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I think anything short of a dance trip and Jones is out. If he makes it to the dance he should return for his final year of his contract and see how that goes. 

you have been saying he is out for years...ha ha,  Some folks never learn.  Unless some big money people willing to put up $$$$ want Jones out...(.which obviously leaves the fire jones crowd for the last 3 years crowd out of the equation) or they finish in bottom 4 of BSC.Brian will be back next season. OK guys carry on

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

you have been saying he is out for years...ha ha,  Some folks never learn.  Unless some big money people willing to put up $$$$ want Jones out...(.which obviously leaves the fire jones crowd for the last 3 years crowd out of the equation) or they finish in bottom 4 of BSC.Brian will be back next season. OK guys carry on

If he tanks this season he won't be back. Jones = Mussman

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Settle down sport, you have no say on the matter. #superalum #superdonor #superfan

Do you even attend UND sporting events?

You have as much say as I do since we aren't Brian Faison, so as this is just a message board I think I can give my opinion like anyone else on here, and yes I do attend UND events thanks for asking.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, jdub27 said:

It would definitely help him get (and keep) some more experienced assistants. Having an assistant make a lateral move to USD should not happen.

I certainly can't discount the fact that the budget hasn't been where it should be, but in the case of Ahelegbe, I can't help but wonder whether the move had a lot to do with feeling Smith would give him a better chance of moving up the coaching ladder, similar to the lateral move Ben Jacobson made when he first left UND?

24 minutes ago, UND92,96 said:

I certainly can't discount the fact that the budget hasn't been where it should be, but in the case of Ahelegbe, I can't help but wonder whether the move had a lot to do with feeling Smith would give him a better chance of moving up the coaching ladder, similar to the lateral move Ben Jacobson made when he first left UND?

My understanding is that salary was definitely part of the equation. I do agree that it isn't a stretch to assume that Ahelegbe may have also seen the writing wall and decided to hitch his wagon to Smith, which I can't blame him for outside of South Dakota only being able to give 1 year contracts.

I looked back and in the 10 years Jones has coached here, there has been something like 14 different assistant coaches that have filled out the 3 assistant coaching staff under him. Obviously there is going to be turnover, especially with UND's status as a low mid-major, but that seems like a lot. There has been at least 1 new assistant every year except 2010-2011 when they only had two assistants on staff instead of the normal 3.

• Upvote 1