SiouxSports.com Forum

Next UND President

UNDvince97-01

I've always considered diversity a naturally occurring phenomena, kind of like the diversity of flora and fauna found on Earth. 

Once you try to "create" it you're following a formula made by man and not letting things play out naturally. 

• Upvote 2

Doesn't it seem a bit "forced" to try and make diversity happen?  We live in North Dakota where it is mostly all white people.  How hard would he need to work and how many resources would have to be used to create more diversity just for the sake of creating it?

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Doesn't it seem a bit "forced" to try and make diversity happen?  We live in North Dakota where it is mostly all white people.  How hard would he need to work and how many resources would have to be used to create more diversity just for the sake of creating it?

There are tons of foreign students at UND. I used to play soccer with them regularly. A lot of times I was the only white guy. Like you said, can't force stuff like this.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

There are tons of foreign students at UND. I used to play soccer with them regularly. A lot of times I was the only white guy. Like you said, can't force stuff like this.

Tons, like thousands?  Well then what is he talking about.  

Giving more opportunities, more programs?

46 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I have always believed that having a diverse student body helps expose students to a variety of ways of thinking, and understanding that other ways of viewing the world can be a good thing.  It can also prepare graduates to be able to function outside of mainly white North Dakota.  I had never interacted with someone of a different race or religion until I came to college.  As I look back, I was pretty clueless, and probably disrespectful.  I am glad I had the chance to "grow" in college; it definitely helped prepare me for the work force in a different way from my classes.

Of the 14,951 students enrolled at UND in Fall 2015, 11,789 identified as White.  So, 3,162 students, or 21% of the population either didn't specify, or identify as non-white.  That is a low number, in my opinion.  And that just covers ethnicity!

There seem to be a lot of uninformed people in this country that would be served well by the opportunity to interact with people from different backgrounds as their own.  Why not foster that at UND?

Apologies for the goofy quote...I wasn't directing my comment to any specific poster.  :)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxjoy said:

I have always believed that having a diverse student body helps expose students to a variety of ways of thinking, and understanding that other ways of viewing the world can be a good thing.  It can also prepare graduates to be able to function outside of mainly white North Dakota.  I had never interacted with someone of a different race or religion until I came to college.  As I look back, I was pretty clueless, and probably disrespectful.  I am glad I had the chance to "grow" in college; it definitely helped prepare me for the work force in a different way from my classes.

Of the 14,951 students enrolled at UND in Fall 2015, 11,789 identified as White.  So, 3,162 students, or 21% of the population either didn't specify, or identify as non-white.  That is a low number, in my opinion.  And that just covers ethnicity!

There seem to be a lot of uninformed people in this country that would be served well by the opportunity to interact with people from different backgrounds as their own.  Why not foster that at UND?

Apologies for the goofy quote...I wasn't directing my comment to any specific poster.  :)

100% agree. 

I was just wondering how he wants to achieve this diversity and at what cost, based on our location in the world.  If we have 21% non-whites now is he going to set a goal of like 30%?  Just wondering is all.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

100% agree. 

I was just wondering how he wants to achieve this diversity and at what cost, based on our location in the world.  If we have 21% non-whites now is he going to set a goal of like 30%?  Just wondering is all.

Based on different stats ND's population now is approximately 10-12% non-white.  If UND is roughly 21% non-white right now that is well above the state's overall diversity statistical findings.    Not sure how some here are saying 21% is a "low number" when you take it into context with the population of the entire state.

1 hour ago, siouxjoy said:

I don't think anyone said it shouldn't be embraced....it just doesn't need to be socially engineered.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Based on different stats ND's population now is approximately 10-12% non-white.  If UND is roughly 21% non-white right now that is well above the state's overall diversity statistical findings.    Not sure how some here are saying 21% is a "low number" when you take it into context with the population of the entire state.

Sure, if a person plans on spending all of their time in North Dakota and only interacting with North Dakotans.  The statistic only accounts for self-reported ethnicity, so it could be lower.  Plus, it doesn't factor religion or other identities that make each individual an individual. 

In a global world where people can connect with nearly anyone anywhere anytime, I believe that having exposure to numerous cultures/beliefs/backgrounds is a good thing.  Knowing that so many different viewpoints exist (even if you don't necessarily follow or agree with them) helps people navigate this crazy big world, especially in situations that require negotiation and clear communication.

That's my opinion, anyway.  All are absolutely entitled to their own opinions, which, in a way, kind of supports my point.  :)

1 minute ago, siouxjoy said:

How do you recommend making ND or UND more diverse?  Honest question, no trolling or snark.

Why does it need to be more diverse?  Why force diversity.  If it happens, let it happen.  Why does UND need an associate VP for Diversity and Inclusion.  To me, the Neanderthal, that sounds like forcing issues.  The world is not inclusive, nor should it be.  People should be allowed to be free.

• Upvote 2

Anyone think a white kid from Crosby, ND wanting to go to UND is choosing that university for a different reason than a black kid from Bawcomville, LA is choosing to attend Gambling University?