SiouxSports.com Forum

New North Dakota license plate

CMSioux

• 1 month later...

Dumb Question:

Since there is a buffalo on the plate, you think they couldn't have waited a year to see if the UND Mascot could have been used as well?  A Buffalo in one corner and now a Hawk flying in the other?  I know that other state schools could argue for presence but I don't think they can argue the two largest.  UND doesn't even get the special plate BiSon fans get to order. 

I guess this post could have gone under the "what the nickname situation has cost/delayed us" column as well.

• Upvote 2

I think the state was required to issue new plates and they had to be flat, rather than having raised letters as they used to be.   Minnesota went to the flat plates last year (I think that's when it was).    Someone told me it was to enable plate readers to see the plates easier.

46 minutes ago, TRex said:

I think the state was required to issue new plates and they had to be flat, rather than having raised letters as they used to be.   Minnesota went to the flat plates last year (I think that's when it was).    Someone told me it was to enable plate readers to see the plates easier.

Montana has had their plates like that for awhile now, but Montana has like 100 license plates to choose from.

48 minutes ago, cberkas said:

North Dakota could at least have a plate for each of the colleges like Montana does (Montana State and Montana have 3 plateas each alone). Or a Ducks Unlimited one, hell Montana has a hockey plate.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/plate-designs-and-fees/

Dang. Those are some really cool plates. So Montana actually makes all of those plates?

17 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Dang. Those are some really cool plates. So Montana actually makes all of those plates?

I think so, I have the Yellowstone National Park plates I was going to switch the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center plate until they changed it.

The one plate that is popular here is a black one that I can find on that site. I read that Montana has 157 license plate options and added 10 more. 

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

North Dakota could at least have a plate for each of the colleges like Montana does (Montana State and Montana have 3 plateas each alone). Or a Ducks Unlimited one, hell Montana has a hockey plate.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/plate-designs-and-fees/

I can't remember all the hoops to jump through to get a special plate design but I know there has to be a minimum number ordered and each cost something like 100 bucks/plate.  someone would have to take the iniative to get an acceped design and then see if enough could get ordered.  Not much sense in doing it until a new logo design happens

One benefit of moving from the pressed metal plates to the new laminated plates is it will be much easier to produce multiple designs.  Unfortunately, many at DOT, Highway Patrol, Commerce, etc. are dragging their feet or discouraging the production of alternate plates because they like the idea of ND having one consistent plate.

14 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

The North Dakota plates look too cartoonish. 

When I first saw a new ND plate my reaction was that someone had seen an actual ND plate and by memory recreated it at home with MS Paint and their printer.

"Let's see, kind light blue fading to golden tan to a dark bottom edge. Three numbers, three letters, 'Peace Garden State', toss in a sunset and a baffled looking brown wool cow and ... print."

Add some cardboard and lamination .... VIOLA! 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

One benefit of moving from the pressed metal plates to the new laminated plates is it will be much easier to produce multiple designs.  Unfortunately, many at DOT, Highway Patrol, Commerce, etc. are dragging their feet or discouraging the production of alternate plates because they like the idea of ND having one consistent plate.

It does seem to be a slow process.  I know the DU plates took forever to get approved and I heard Pheasants Forever dropped it because of the effort needed.

You would think it a great revenue source if as pointed out above they are $100 or so extra.  I would pay that for so awesome Fn Hawks plates.  I would even pay it for some marginal ones since I live in Fargo and can't go 2 blocks without seeing a biSon plate.

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

When I first saw a new ND plate my reaction was that someone had seen an actual ND plate and by memory recreated it at home with MS Paint and their printer.

"Let's see, kind light blue fading to golden tan to a dark bottom edge. Three numbers, three letters, 'Peace Garden State', toss in a sunset and a baffled looking brown wool cow and ... print."

Add some cardboard and lamination .... VIOLA! 

shoulda said rough rider state, amirite?!?!

• Upvote 3