SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Far as back up QB is concerned, we don't know what we have in Heidlebaugh or Bolinski and we have another year of Studsrud.  As far as the Tebow comment for Heidlebaugh, forgive me if I'm wrong, but Tebow was one of  the winningest quarterbacks in college football history, and he was more athlete than QB. And this is college FCS. He'd have to hand the ball off, and be a threat with his arm and feet, but ultimately we rise and fall with the OL and RB's. That is our game. I don't care if Heidlebaugh wind mills to throw it, so long as he can do that and be effective, who cares what he looks like doing it!  Heidlebaugh is an athletic kid that they could mold into anything, and they are keeping him at QB, what does that tell you? We either trust the coaches or we don't??

Wait another year on Bolinski, perhaps a year in the offense and the weightroom and he challenges for the #2.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

Far as back up QB is concerned, we don't know what we have in Heidlebaugh or Bolinski and we have another year of Studsrud.  As far as the Tebow comment for Heidlebaugh, forgive me if I'm wrong, but Tebow was one of  the winningest quarterbacks in college football history, and he was more athlete than QB. And this is college FCS. He'd have to hand the ball off, and be a threat with his arm and feet, but ultimately we rise and fall with the OL and RB's. That is our game. I don't care if Heidlebaugh wind mills to throw it, so long as he can do that and be effective, who cares what he looks like doing it!  Heidlebaugh is an athletic kid that they could mold into anything, and they are keeping him at QB, what does that tell you? We either trust the coaches or we don't??

Wait another year on Bolinski, perhaps a year in the offense and the weightroom and he challenges for the #2.

Tebow played on some of the most talented teams in the last 20 years. The windows he go to throw to were very very wide. He never really picked anyone apart as a passer. It was a lot of throwing to superior athletes who were wide open and running over guys.  He's basically the gold standard for bad mechanics and slow releases. And for the record I want him to succeed at QB and be great. I just don't see it in his future at this point. 

True. Even so, he was playing against a lot of current NFL DB's and linebackers from the SEC and getting it done. Talent or not, you have to lead, you have to execute.  Just sayin, not impossible for a kid with a supposed ugly delivery to kill it in the right circumstance.     If over the past three weeks should tell us anything is that we are not quite there yet. We have a lot to be excited about. We have very talented young guys contributing from from TE, to WR to DB etc.. Regardless of who the heir apparent is at QB, he'll have the most experienced/talented line we've had in years, tenured RB's, WR's and TE's in the system up to three years and playing that whole time. Plus quarterback's in the system, working on mechanics, perhaps even getting a  few games experience before Studsrud leaves.  I think Brad is just fine.   And I use Ketchup with my Crow if I'm wrong, but I confident we're good.

4 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

True. Even so, he was playing against a lot of current NFL DB's and linebackers from the SEC and getting it done. Talent or not, you have to lead, you have to execute.  Just sayin, not impossible for a kid with a supposed ugly delivery to kill it in the right circumstance.     If over the past three weeks should tell us anything is that we are not quite there yet. We have a lot to be excited about. We have very talented young guys contributing from from TE, to WR to DB etc.. Regardless of who the heir apparent is at QB, he'll have the most experienced/talented line we've had in years, tenured RB's, WR's and TE's in the system up to three years and playing that whole time. Plus quarterback's in the system, working on mechanics, perhaps even getting a  few games experience before Studsrud leaves.  I think Brad is just fine.   And I use Ketchup with my Crow if I'm wrong, but I confident we're good.

I'd prefer if I was the one eating crow on this topic.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'd prefer if I was the one eating crow on this topic.

Think you will. Like Parkers Pros mentioned, 6-5 220 can run and super athletic. Heard he's one of the hardest workers and smartest kids on the team. How many practices have you seen him at? It's very telling to me the coaches have only recruited him and Bolinskie the last two years. The coaches see him everyday and are really high on him and his potential. He hasn't even scratched the surface for how good he could be. Only one year in the program coming from Rugby at the hardest position on the field.

hopefully Studsrud keeps performing and stays healthy and then after two more off seasons in the weight room Heidlebaugh will be a monster when he starts for us in 2018.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

Think you will. Like Parkers Pros mentioned, 6-5 220 can run and super athletic. Heard he's one of the hardest workers and smartest kids on the team. How many practices have you seen him at? It's very telling to me the coaches have only recruited him and Bolinskie the last two years. The coaches see him everyday and are really high on him and his potential. He hasn't even scratched the surface for how good he could be. Only one year in the program coming from Rugby at the hardest position on the field.

hopefully Studsrud keeps performing and stays healthy and then after two more off seasons in the weight room Heidlebaugh will be a monster when he starts for us in 2018.

I was at a practice this fall. He looks very tight when he throws. 

10 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

Hope you are correct! I know nothing about Heidelbaugh except for what I read on this forum, and I hope the kid isn't forced into game before he is ready. Wouldn't it be nice to get a serious lead on someone this year, just to get him some snaps. If we could even have 1 or 2 games like we did against N Colorado last year, it would be awesome to get some depth players some more experience.

Not sure that will happen based on what we have seen so far this season, but who knows. Maybe we can find some offense against Sac St, or Idaho St?!?!

11 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

6-5 220 can run and super athletic. Heard he's one of the hardest workers and smartest kids on the team.

I went out and found his HS tape. Honestly, his throwing motion has the basics to be made into an FCS motion. What I didn't like is his running stride. 

Both I believe can be fixed with the simple difference of 17 year old in Rugby HS to 20 year old in FCS university and weight program. 

Being smart and hard working are pre-reqs to be a QB in my book. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I went out and found his HS tape. Honestly, his throwing motion has the basics to be made into an FCS motion. What I didn't like is his running stride. 

Both I believe can be fixed with the simple difference of 17 year old in Rugby HS to 20 year old in FCS university and weight program. 

Being smart and hard working are pre-reqs to be a QB in my book. 

Anyone know how his decision making is? Say what you want about Studs, but he seems to make smart decisions and not turn the ball over much. Maybe that is a flaw in itself, a few more risks may cause a few more turnovers, but could also produce some more yards and conversions.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Anyone know how his decision making is? Say what you want about Studs, but he seems to make smart decisions and not turn the ball over much. Maybe that is a flaw in itself, a few more risks may cause a few more turnovers, but could also produce some more yards and conversions.

Looking at some of the throws Studs made sat. Were throw away imho.  Studs doesn't throw interceptions.  He does want to put our defense in a bad spot.  Good decision maker.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

Looking at some of the throws Studs made sat. Were throw away imho.  Studs doesn't throw interceptions.  He does want to put our defense in a bad spot.  Good decision maker.

I get that, but do we know anything about Heidelbaugh's decision making. Agree on Studs, I think he knows he doesn't have to win the game with his arm, but he could lose the game if he does something stupid.

I know we used to have too many qbs and it was a problem - but look at the last few years - 0 stable. 

We might not know exactly what we have - but we do have heidelbaugh working on year number 2 waiting in the wings, Bolinkse on year 1 and possibly the most talented on his way in next year in Boltmann. Provided we can develop qbs (TBD), we're in a pretty good spot (also provided we keep bringing in the qb recruits). 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:56 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Sounds like they plan to put him on the DL at nose. 

He also had an offer from South Dakota State, for those who focus on that stuff. 

NOOOOOO!
I want to see this guy run people over. In the videos its a man v boys.