SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING HAWKS @ SCSU - Friday Gameday

AZSIOUX

I have listened to several games this year on IHeart, this was the first game I was able to watch on tv. (Thanks Faison)

-Hrynkiw is a good college goalie

-Stetcher is a stud

-I predicted Gardner would be good for us and he will have a very solid 4 years 

-Team plays with a lot more freedom and I think there is so much more flow with the new staff

Lol why is that Faison's fault? Get NCHC.tv, buddy. Well worth it!

Stecher = beast. He makes at least three plays a game that just blow me away.

Outside of Boeser, Gardner has, by far, been the most impressive freshman for me, this year. Classic Sioux hockey type player.

I completely agree with you about the freedom aspect of this year's team. I can't say for sure what Hak would have let a line like the CBS boys do in terms of creativity, but Berry sure loves to play those boys in key spots. LOTS of ice time. Hak loved his grinding, dump-and-chase possession type game. We still do that, but I think the speed that some of our freshmen brought would have been just as successful with Hak. Just my $.02.

• Upvote 2

If you don't believe Stoney Sioux check it out for yourself. 

Lol why is that Faison's fault? Get NCHC.tv, buddy. Well worth it!

Stecher = beast. He makes at least three plays a game that just blow me away.

Outside of Boeser, Gardner has, by far, been the most impressive freshman for me, this year. Classic Sioux hockey type player.

I completely agree with you about the freedom aspect of this year's team. I can't say for sure what Hak would have let a line like the CBS boys do in terms of creativity, but Berry sure loves to play those boys in key spots. LOTS of ice time. Hak loved his grinding, dump-and-chase possession type game. We still do that, but I think the speed that some of our freshmen brought would have been just as successful with Hak. Just my $.02.

If you don't believe Stoney Sioux check it out. Video of UND's goals. 

Edited by Goon

Our defense has to shut down those centering passes through the slot.

We were at the game tonight and thought the same thing.  Maybe it was just our perspective watching from the end (over the SCSU goal), or maybe being more emotionally involved in this game made those cross-ice passes stand out, but we also though SCSU was making that pass way more than you typically see in a game, and connecting on it way too many times.

SCSU inches away from having about 6 goals.

Yes, Hrynkiw was very good, made some very tough saves, but at least 2 goals were saved by Dmen in front of open nets, along with some luck with loose puck scrums in front of the net where he couldn't cover.  This game easily could have gone the other way.

These guys have nothing to do with the goofs

They just took our nickname.  Now you're going to say we can't blame everything we don't like on the gophers?   Seriously, what's this world coming to?

Okay, you're Brad Berry.  Faceoff in your own zone with 5.2 second left.  Who do you send out to take the critical draw that will ensure the win?

If you answered Freshman Center Rhett Gardner, you're correct.    

What a great move - and great faceoff win - for his confidence.

Listened to Hennessey on the radio after the game as he interviewed Berry.  I think Berry is ready to adopt Gardner.  Couldn't have gushed more about how he epitomizes Fighting Sioux hockey, how responsible he is, etc.   If I recall the quote exactly, he ended that bit by saying "LOVE that player".   Pretty high praise for a freshman.

We were standing right over the SCSU net in the 1st and 3rd.  On the PP goal, we saw Gardner as the net front guy and we commented to each other how impressive it was that this freshman was getting this PP time with the big boys.   In my mind I was thinking "Berry must think he's good at something".  About that time he whips the pass to Caggiula for the goal.   We said "THAT'S apparently what he's good at!".   Then later he's out for the penalty kill.   Then last face-off of the game.    Pretty freakin' impressive.

• Upvote 1

We were at the game tonight and thought the same thing.  Maybe it was just our perspective watching from the end (over the SCSU goal), or maybe being more emotionally involved in this game made those cross-ice passes stand out, but we also though SCSU was making that pass way more than you typically see in a game, and connecting on it way too many times.

Yes, Hrynkiw was very good, made some very tough saves, but at least 2 goals were saved by Dmen in front of open nets, along with some luck with loose puck scrums in front of the net where he couldn't cover.  This game easily could have gone the other way.

They just took our nickname.  Now you're going to say we can't blame everything we don't like on the gophers?   Seriously, what's this world coming to?

Listened to Hennessey on the radio after the game as he interviewed Berry.  I think Berry is ready to adopt Gardner.  Couldn't have gushed more about how he epitomizes Fighting Sioux hockey, how responsible he is, etc.   If I recall the quote exactly, he ended that bit by saying "LOVE that player".   Pretty high praise for a freshman.

We were standing right over the SCSU net in the 1st and 3rd.  On the PP goal, we saw Gardner as the net front guy and we commented to each other how impressive it was that this freshman was getting this PP time with the big boys.   In my mind I was thinking "Berry must think he's good at something".  About that time he whips the pass to Caggiula for the goal.   We said "THAT'S apparently what he's good at!".   Then later he's out for the penalty kill.   Then last face-off of the game.    Pretty freakin' impressive.

This backdoor kind of play has always been St. Cloud's MO. IMO, not many of them really generated that many Grade As as they were from steep angles and rarely connected. Many of them turned into chances the other way, too.

In reviewing our goals, it's hard to believe Caggiula got so much room in front of their net.   If he ever gets to the NHL, it's going to be a whole lot different lifestyle in front of the net.    Getting a hatty in Cloud is a big deal. 

The thing that makes the CBS line so dominant is that all three of them can maintain possession and are also great passers.   With the D we have, they can do their thing and not worry so much about getting caught in an odd man rush the other way.  That line would always be poison for the other side, but I'm not sure they would be this dominant without those dmen we have behind them. 

Great game to watch.  I hope the other matches with the better NCHC teams are this entertaining. 

• Upvote 1

What a bunch of divers the huskies are. Will Anderson and Sullivan get up to speed and make some embellisment calls tonight?

I noticed the same thing a lot of embellishment happening by scsu. Maybe they get that attitude from their whiney coaching staff. Anyone else notice the huskies asst coach on his cell phone before asking motsko to call timeout to review the und goal? Since when are coaches allowed to talk on cell phones on the bench?

Edited by Redneksioux

Not trying to be a jerk, but man, Sanderson needs to sit. I like Janatuinen's game much more. Sanderson just never seems to finish, whether it's a check or burying a shot, he's just not doing it for me. Missing the net wide, far side in the slot and creating offsense the other way really pisses me off.

I wouldn't mind seeing them each play a game every weekend.  The main thing Sanderson brings that Janatuinen doesn't is quality PK time.  SCSU essentially had 6 minutes of straight PP to end the 2nd period, so having an extra PKer on the roster can be vital.

The thing that makes the CBS line so dominant is that all three of them can maintain possession and are also great passers.   With the D we have, they can do their thing and not worry so much about getting caught in an odd man rush the other way.  That line would always be poison for the other side, but I'm not sure they would be this dominant without those dmen we have behind them.

Agreed that having solid D gives this line more freedom.  I also think their speed and effort helps too.  Those three are some of the best backcheckers on the team.  I continue to be amazed at some of the defensive plays they make, especially Cags and Boeser.

Agreed that having solid D gives this line more freedom.  I also think their speed and effort helps too.  Those three are some of the best backcheckers on the team.  I continue to be amazed at some of the defensive plays they make, especially Cags and Boeser.

Absolutely.  And that kind of hustle by the "stars" affects the team culture in a big way. 

The alumni director was lauding all the SCSU teams during the 3rd period of the game on TV.  She talked about how the recruiting was so great.  I didn't realize that SCSU hockey recruits the swim team for divers too.  That penalty against Cagguila was a dive if I ever way one.  On a serious note, I am impressed by the Friday night win at SCSU.  This team is playing good right now.  I hope they can keep it up.  

I don't think Hrynkiw is our guy long term. He slides around out of control like Eidsness used to and he drops so quick that he leaves upstairs wide open because of his lack of height. It sucks because I was really pulling for him and he's a great story. I'm now just waiting for Tomek to get healthy because even though I really want Hrynkiw to succeed I now see him as a liability back there. If our d wasn't so damn good if would be more noticable. I just don't think he could get us to the promised land.

• Upvote 1

What a bunch of divers the huskies are. Will Anderson and Sullivan get up to speed and make some embellisment calls tonight?

I thought it was ridiculous when the announcers were calling for a major on Poganski, I swear that guy slipped and went in the boards himself, maybe I saw that wrong, I'd have to see the replay

• Upvote 1

Hunting in Badlands. Watched game at cabin on Dish. Good win. Like the makeup of this team. Gardner's line is so tough to play against. Fun to watch. Matt is the #1 until he proves he is not. He isn't Dell or Zane but he is doing his job. 9-8-16 are a special trio.

I don't think Hrynkiw is our guy long term. He slides around out of control like Eidsness used to and he drops so quick that he leaves upstairs wide open because of his lack of height. It sucks because I was really pulling for him and he's a great story. I'm now just waiting for Tomek to get healthy because even though I really want Hrynkiw to succeed I now see him as a liability back there. If our d wasn't so damn good if would be more noticable. I just don't think he could get us to the promised land.

I kind of share this feeling.  I'm really an H fan, knowing his story, but he's got to steady himself if he's going to carry us.   One thing that characterized UW's goalies when Bill Howard was coaching them was solid positioning.   They rarely seemed to be making acrobatic saves because they were so good at maintaining position.  UND  has had some great goalies too, and I'm sure Karl is an excellent coach, but it's probably hard to change a goalie's style when he's three years into college play.  

That said, H has done exactly what we needed him to do, and that's a great story. 

Bubby Mutzko's whining and his team's diving is embarrassing, but there is no incentive to change as it works wonders on the officials.  The is why I don't like or respect SCSU the least little bit.  Referees must not review games, because if they did, they'd tell Bubby before the game that unless it's a clear cut no doubt penalty on their opposition, the only thing that will be called is embellishment on his team.  They stick to that for a couple of games and the diving would be taken care of.  Never gonna happen with the incompetent Don Adam in charge of the officials though.

• Upvote 1

Hyrnkiw's "flopping around" has more to do with the speed of the game than it does with "his style". Zane had his difficulties his first year  getting from post to post as well. Each week he is getting better. His size is his biggest weakness.

Edited by iluvdebbies

Bubby Mutzko's whining and his team's diving is embarrassing, but there is no incentive to change as it works wonders on the officials.  The is why I don't like or respect SCSU the least little bit.  Referees must not review games, because if they did, they'd tell Bubby before the game that unless it's a clear cut no doubt penalty on their opposition, the only thing that will be called is embellishment on his team.  They stick to that for a couple of games and the diving would be taken care of.  Never gonna happen with the incompetent Don Adam in charge of the officials though.

Unfortunately true. With the good pp on Olympic ice, the diving will probably increase tonight.

Hyrnkiw's "flopping around" has more to do with the speed of the game than it does with "his style". Zane had his difficulties his first year  getting from post to post as well. Each week he is getting better. His size is his biggest weakness.

His inability to stop his slide is alarming. He gives up a lot of rebounds too. That combo could bite us in the ass.

There were a few very obvious dives last night. They are much better divers than Miami was last weekend.

From what I have noticed this season. Matt Hyrnkiw is a lot shorter than Zane. Also, Zane is a bigger body, that fills more of the net. That being said, I feel more comfortable with Hrynkiw in net than Cam Johnson. For a goalie that's a lot bigger, I have not been impressed with his positioning.

Edited by Goon