SiouxSports.com Forum

Why Vote For Roughriders?

SIOUXFAN97

The state flag is based on the flag flown by Col. Roosevelt's "Rough Riders". (You know Col. Roosevelt. He ranched out by Medora, ND.) 

The state flag would become a de facto UND insignia ... flying everywhere in North Dakota every day. 

ahh yes. Teddy... What were his thoughts on the indigenous people of the America's again? Or 9/10 of them ;) 

Someone needs to put all of this in the GF Herald, Fargo Forum and the Dakota Student. And there also needs to be something in there about the "Hawk" logo that is being passed around as not being reality. 

Final nickname vote to begin with no word on choosing a logo

Looks like the GFH took care of that...

"I hope readers will know and understand that image has no connection to the nicknames that are being voted on," Johnson said. "Anybody who is projecting that isn't projecting the reality."

But when asked how logo development will work once a name is selected, UND spokesman Peter Johnson declined to say much more than to "stay tuned". When we know for sure what the nickname is we'll announce what that process is going to look like," he said.

Here's a thought:

1. Have 2-3 concepts drawn up

2. Pick the best one

3. Announce "here's our new logo".  

Best Regards, 

The Practical Process Consultant

• Upvote 1

I'm glad they put this in the paper.  I predict this will change somewhere between 1 and 3 people's minds.  I also predict people will still whine about students being uninformed, somehow convincing themselves the students would've completely changed their minds and voted for Roughriders if they had only known an exact copy of a certain logo of a hawk could not be used.

• Upvote 1

I'm not really warming to either of these remaining choices.  The Rough Riders' ties to the state are tenuous at best.  It's like having a choice of the "Gippers" because Reagan wore a Sioux jersey at some point in the past.  Hawks is, well pretty damn common.  Even though I love birds of prey, I'm not really a fan of using something everyone else uses.  So, I'll revert to the "tried and true" coin toss and hold my nose when it dictates my vote ... :huh:

Edited by ScottM

I'm not really warming to either of these remaining choices.  The Rough Riders' ties to the state are tenuous at best.  It's like having a choice of the "Gippers" because Reagan wore a Sioux jersey at some point in the past.  Hawks is, well pretty damn common.  Even though I love birds of prey, I'm not really a fan of using something everyone else uses.  So, I'll revert to the "tried and true" coin toss and hold my nose when it dictates my vote ... :huh:

Gippers is still a better choice than Fighting Hawks.  At least it's unique.

I see quite a few people mentioning Bennett Brien.

I think he is a pretty outstanding artist......but is he on record as saying he would like to be involved in the creation of UND's next logo?

I don't know but I could see where he might not want anything to do with it after the way the UND administration has had such a secretive backstabbing two faced role in this whole process going back even beyond the forfeited lawsuit. It's not like the University did anything to protect his previous artwork.

Edited by petey23

Has anyone seen the other logo mentioned in the GFH piece?

Another logo making the rounds on the Internet in regard to the UND nickname vote depicts a green hawk head with wings in the shape of a "U." It is unclear who designed it.

Edited by GeauxSioux

I'm a Nodak voter that wasn't going to vote today, because I am really embarrassed for my University.  But I have changed my mind and will now vote for the Rough Riders.  Some form of "Hawks" was predicted before this whole messed up process started and now that time is here.  This vote is extremely difficult because for a majority of people we have to choose the lesser of the two evils. Any form of Hawks has never appealed to me for a lot of reasons, but I can not support Hawks.  On the other hand, I am not in love with the Rough Riders, but it is the lesser of the two evils and for that reason, it will be getting my vote.  Just my 2 cents.

Same here besides the not planning on voting part. Voting Roughriders.

I'm a Nodak voter that wasn't going to vote today, because I am really embarrassed for my University.  But I have changed my mind and will now vote for the Rough Riders.  Some form of "Hawks" was predicted before this whole messed up process started and now that time is here.  This vote is extremely difficult because for a majority of people we have to choose the lesser of the two evils. Any form of Hawks has never appealed to me for a lot of reasons, but I can not support Hawks.  On the other hand, I am not in love with the Rough Riders, but it is the lesser of the two evils and for that reason, it will be getting my vote.  Just my 2 cents.

It may be wishful thinking, but I hope there are a lot of new RR voters that will come forward.  

• Upvote 1

The very weekend we are making the final vote for   the nickname we have team coming in to play our hockey team that has Hawks in their name.    It is very common in college  nicknames and for that reason I am voting for Roughriders so we can at least be a little unique.  

• Upvote 3