SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Vs FCS Football

Cratter

Well that is one ironic statement, considering that 37% of the schools playing "Division I" hockey are either DII or DIII in all of their other sports. 

An FCS title is far superior to a college hockey title, no question about it.  Even UND's DII football title dwarfs all seven of our hockey titles as far as prestige.

I love North Dakota hockey, but lets be realistic.  When something called Lake Superior State can have as many national titles as Michigan St., you know it can't be all that tough to win it all.

Wtf?

• Upvote 1

Well that is one ironic statement, considering that 37% of the schools playing "Division I" hockey are either DII or DIII in all of their other sports. 

An FCS title is far superior to a college hockey title, no question about it.  Even UND's DII football title dwarfs all seven of our hockey titles as far as prestige.

I love North Dakota hockey, but lets be realistic.  When something called Lake Superior State can have as many national titles as Michigan St., you know it can't be all that tough to win it all.

This might be the dumbest post I have ever seen. Any DII title or FCS title dwarfs in comparison to a D1 hockey title. I like UND football and basketball to be competitive, but let's be realistic. The athletic budget is fueled by the success of UND's hockey program. Personally, I would rather not even have football or basketball if it meant watering down one of the premier hockey programs in the country. I do believe that UND can be successful at all of these sports, but hockey should continue to be the top priority. It is what UND is known for, much like Alabama, Florida State and Oklahoma in football, and Kentucky, Kansas and Duke in basketball. The Bison can have their FCS titles. I have absolutely no jealousy about their program--I just really don't care much and I really don't think it's that big of a deal. The only sport where we consistently attract pro athletes and compete with the best is hockey. The Bison have never had that experience and never will unless they move up to FBS and have success like a Boise State type program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

This might be the dumbest post I have ever seen. Any DII title or FCS title dwarfs in comparison to a D1 hockey title. I like UND football and basketball to be competitive, but let's be realistic. The athletic budget is fueled by the success of UND's hockey program. Personally, I would rather not even have football or basketball if it meant watering down one of the premier hockey programs in the country. I do believe that UND can be successful at all of these sports, but hockey should continue to be the top priority. It is what UND is known for, much like Alabama, Florida State and Oklahoma in football Cal-State Fullerton and Long Beach State in baseball, and Kentucky, Kansas and Duke in basketball. Johns Hopkins and Loyola in lacrosse. The Bison can have their FCS titles. I have absolutely no jealousy about their program--I just really don't care much and I really don't think it's that big of a deal. The only sport where we consistently attract pro athletes and compete with the best is hockey. The Bison have never had that experience and never will unless they move up to FBS and have success like a Boise State type program.

Can we please be realistic about college hockey for a half a second?  

• Upvote 4

I don't think so.  I guess I am biased toward UND hockey as a season ticket holder, but I really don't know a ton of players outside of the UND hockey realm except for some of the bigger stars of the game. 

Ok, so you are not a hockey fan in general.  I get why you would say things like that then.  Makes sense.

Can we please be realistic about college hockey for a half a second?  

You mean like we are being realistic about JV football, whether it be labeled FCS, DII, DIII or anything other than FBS D1 football?? For that matter, who cares about D1 basketball outside of the top conferences and a handful of mid majors like Gonzaga, Butler and Wichita State?

You mean like we are being realistic about JV football, whether it be labeled FCS, DII, DIII or anything other than FBS D1 football?? For that matter, who cares about D1 basketball outside of the top conferences and a handful of mid majors like Gonzaga, Butler and Wichita State?

Number of pros produced is a stupid argument.  Unless all of them endow scholarships to the program, like Matt Greene.  I then stand corrected.  

He was comparing it to NDSU so it's more like 20,000/game at the Fargo Loaf and 11.5 K/game the the Englestad. 

add up the weekend's ticket sales and there are more tickets sold in grand forks. I understand there is more hockey games than football games and all that but if you want to measure fan interest do it by ticket sales. On the real professional stage nfl teams can have near 6  figures of people in the seats where most NHL teams will have around 15,000 but more games. 

Personally I prefer any hockey but It doesn't matter to me. in the big picture both college hockey and fcs football are irrelevant compared to fbs football and d1 bballwhen it comes to fan interest.

Edited by Redneksioux

He was comparing it to NDSU so it's more like 20,000/game at the Fargo Loaf and 11.5 K/game the the Englestad. 

I live in Fargo and have been to a number of NDSU football games. 20,000 is the exception, not the rule. They have had good attendance the past few years, but when they were 3-8, they were lucky if they had 10,000 per game. UND also has 20 home hockey games, so 11.5 x 20=230,000. NDSU only has 5 home games, so that is at best 100,000. Even if you add playoff games (the Bison might get 2 or 3; UND gets 2 or 3 also), there really is no comparison. That is why the hockey coaches get paid so much more than the football and basketball coaches, as they should. NDSU fans tailgate very well, but the games are boring and I really don't care about Western Illinois, South Dakota State, South Dakota, Missouri State, Youngstown State or other MVFC teams.  I would prefer a Frozen Four that might have schools like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Boston College, Providence or Denver.

DI hockey teams are at the pinnacle of their college sport because they compete against the best of the best in college hockey for a national championship.  FCS football teams compete against peers who largely could not handle the competition from over 120 better, FBS programs nor could those FCS programs win a national championship at the FBS level--the pinnacle of college football.

FCS football certainly may be more popular than college hockey, but I'd love to see most, if not all, FCS programs try to hold up while exclusively playing and recruiting against Power 5 schools over a 5-10 year period.

I'm a huge UND football fan, although to me, this really is the reality of the situation.

• Upvote 1

shuffleboard, and it's really not close. I'm assuming you mean bar shuffleboard and not the full floor version, just like I assume people mean ice hockey and not field hockey. 

I was actually referring to full blown shuffleboard...  But all forms have their merits.  

Croquet is easier to get in to.  It can be played almost anywhere, which assures elite athletes from all walks of life have the opportunity to play.

Full shuffleboard boasts a consistent playing surface which is nice, but limits playing options to cruise ships and Florida.  It can also attract large crowds, especially on the cruise ships, if hot chicks are playing in bikinis.

However, the possibility of dysentery and a sinking ship diminishes some of shuffleboard's advantages.

I live in Fargo and have been to a number of NDSU football games. 20,000 is the exception, not the rule. They have had good attendance the past few years, but when they were 3-8, they were lucky if they had 10,000 per game. 

NDSU's lowest attendance during the 3-8 2009 season was 14,301 for the season ending game (Average attendance was 16,555).  NDSU's last sub 10,000 game was in 2003 as a DII school

I live in Fargo and have been to a number of NDSU football games. 20,000 is the exception, not the rule. They have had good attendance the past few years, but when they were 3-8, they were lucky if they had 10,000 per game. UND also has 20 home hockey games, so 11.5 x 20=230,000. NDSU only has 5 home games, so that is at best 100,000. Even if you add playoff games (the Bison might get 2 or 3; UND gets 2 or 3 also), there really is no comparison. That is why the hockey coaches get paid so much more than the football and basketball coaches, as they should. NDSU fans tailgate very well, but the games are boring and I really don't care about Western Illinois, South Dakota State, South Dakota, Missouri State, Youngstown State or other MVFC teams.  I would prefer a Frozen Four that might have schools like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Boston College, Providence or Denver.

Providence. That's all.

• Upvote 1

Easily one of the most ignorant posts to ever grace this site.................

• Upvote 1

NDSU's lowest attendance during the 3-8 2009 season was 14,301 for the season ending game (Average attendance was 16,555).  NDSU's last sub 10,000 game was in 2003 as a DII school

That may be the "official" attendance (probably based upon tickets sold), but there was not that many in attendance. I was at the UNI game, and that place was not even 1/2 full. You could closed your eyes and thrown a rock in any direction without fear of hitting anyone.