SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Vs FCS Football

Cratter

Multiple conferences in the fcs don't even care enough to try and win the fcs title and others don't care enough about football to offer scholarships. 

There are 1,066 members of the NCAA.  933 of them don't care enough about hockey to even offer it as a varsity sport at any level. 

I love it that my favorite school is the biggest fish in a small pond, but again let's be realistic. 

• Upvote 3

If your school is good at FCS football, be proud of that. If your school is good at college hockey, be proud of that. If your school is good at swimming/diving, be proud of that.

I guess the point is be proud of your school, and be happy whenever a team brings home a trophy.  

Even when it's field hockey and cross country
CVoR2KSWsAA8rVt.jpg

• Upvote 1

There are 1,066 members of the NCAA.  933 of them don't care enough about hockey to even offer it as a varsity sport at any level. 

I love it that my favorite school is the biggest fish in a small pond, but again let's be realistic. 

Title IX has a lot to do with why hockey is not offered. The other factor is start up cost because you need an arena. It is a huge money maker at UND and a number of other schools. Don't kid yourself as to what stirs the drink and funds the other programs at UND. It is the only reason that Omaha had football as long as it did because it always operated in the red, but the hockey program was so far in the black  that it funded the other sporfts. As profitable as men's hockey is and can be, women's hockey is not at this point. If you start men's hockey, you have to start an equivalent women's program. If hockey was not attractive or popular, I don't think you would have had Penn State and Arizona State recently starting D1 hockey, and there have been discussions at a number of other schools, including USC and Iowa.  Football might be going the other way with all of the concussions.

Is this about what sport is more popular? Cause in the United states it's football. Does that mean all football titles are greater than any other sport titles? I don't think so. 

About 95 schools truly competed for the fcs title. I don't think more schools means anything about prestige. There are over 150 dII schools and 250 naia schools. And in reality (and probably soon in practice)  about 63 fbs schools compete for the college football title. 

So your gonna have to do better than pure number of schools to convince people that anything other than fbs football and men's basketball isn't "small pond". 

Edited by Sodacker

Title IX has a lot to do with why hockey is not offered. The other factor is start up cost because you need an arena. It is a huge money maker at UND and a number of other schools. Don't kid yourself as to what stirs the drink and funds the other programs at UND. It is the only reason that Omaha had football as long as it did because it always operated in the red, but the hockey program was so far in the black  that it funded the other sporfts. As profitable as men's hockey is and can be, women's hockey is not at this point. If you start men's hockey, you have to start an equivalent women's program. If hockey was not attractive or popular, I don't think you would have had Penn State and Arizona State recently starting D1 hockey, and there have been discussions at a number of other schools, including USC and Iowa.  Football might be going the other way with all of the concussions.

Much of this is just silly.   College hockey existed long before Title IX and college teams didn't add hockey at that time.  

If  you are worried about a sport impacting Title IX - FBS and FCS football has many more scholarships than hockey so they would be the first to go if that was the main driver.  

I know a lot of hockey fans think the whole world is watching and enthralled with the sport but most of the country doesn't follow it and FCS football has an equivalent following.   Most of Canada doesn't give a rip about US college hockey either which is saying something since they are the biggest hockey fans in the world.

The lack of rinks on college campuses and the lack of conferences to play in are the major reasons for the dearth of DI teams,  not Title IX.  Look at NDSU, who has tried to get Fargo multiple times to build them a rink.   It takes a lot of $ to build a rink suitable for cawledge hockey, and mostly there are not expandable like outdoor football stadiums.

24 teams made/make the FCS FB playoffs.  16 teams make the D1 hockey tournament.  Go back a couple/few of years........including this year if you want and how many teams in each playoff/tournament whether it be FCS FB or D1 hockey really have a shot to win a title once they get into the tournament field?  Each and every year the number of teams that legitimately have a chance to win a championship is greater in hockey than in FCS FB despite there being less teams competing in that sport vs total FCS FB teams.  To disparage the significance of a D1 national hockey championship at the expense of a FCS FB championship........or worst case a D2 FB championship is well........."I'm speechless. I am without speech"! 

• Upvote 1

Where did the recent huge donation from the Engelstad family go?

The last huge donation I know of was the $20 million gift announced in 2006 or so.  The Engelstad Foundation has been paying this in $2 million installments.  It goes to the UND Foundation, not REA.

Much of this is just silly.   College hockey existed long before Title IX and college teams didn't add hockey at that time.  

If  you are worried about a sport impacting Title IX - FBS and FCS football has many more scholarships than hockey so they would be the first to go if that was the main driver.  

I know a lot of hockey fans think the whole world is watching and enthralled with the sport but most of the country doesn't follow it and FCS football has an equivalent following.   Most of Canada doesn't give a rip about US college hockey either which is saying something since they are the biggest hockey fans in the world.

doesn't Canada have colleges

Shhhh, don't ask questions like that. Don't you know it is inappropriate to question anything connected to REA, the BESC or the Engelstads? :silly::whistling:

People seem to forget (or ignore) that the first two of those operate as non-profits, making their tax returns are available to view online by anyone. In my experience, they have been very open in how they handle their operations and where their money goes when asked.