SiouxSports.com Forum

On To The Griz

geaux_sioux

Can we hire Mussman as offensive coordinator?  He's not HC material, but as an OC he's not bad.

I think he burned those bridges  with us and we burned those bridges with him based on all the people he's locked out of his Twitter following and the disparaging comments he still makes about UND, Bubba's crew and Grand Forks in general. He's pretty bitter.

I think he burned those bridges  with us and we burned those bridges with him based on all the people he's locked out of his Twitter following and the disparaging comments he still makes about UND, Bubba's crew and Grand Forks in general. He's pretty bitter.

can you elaborate on his comments?

If Mollberg isn't hurt - As a coaching staff they must be really mad at him that he can't see the field in a blowout like this.  He was the starting QB a year ago at this time when he got hurt and was playing well when he went down.

i am assiming he is hurt.  Is medical redshirt an option for him?

i am assiming he is hurt.  Is medical redshirt an option for him?

From Tom Miller's reporting today after he game:

Schweigert said his staff gave discussion to playing third-string quarterback Joe Mollberg, who was the starter at the beginning of last season.

“We’ll take a look at it,” Schweigert said. “We’re evaluating it all of the time. We discussed it a little during the game, but our issue was in pass protection. We’re a growing program and we need to get better at a number of positions.”

Studsrud, meanwhile, remains questionable for next week with a leg injury.

Schweigert said his staff gave discussion to playing third-string quarterback Joe Mollberg, who was the starter at the beginning of last season.

“We’ll take a look at it,” Schweigert said. “We’re evaluating it all of the time. We discussed it a little during the game, but our issue was in pass protection. We’re a growing program and we need to get better at a number of positions.”

Discussed it a little?  I'm wondering if we were sold a bit of a bill of goods with Bubba by the Good Old Boys.  Not impressed with where we are at or how we manage games - everything from turnovers, special teams (receiving and coverage) to playcalling to the putrid fake punt.  Not assignment sharp at all.  It's one thing to get beat because of talent, but another to get beat because we lack fundamentals.  

• Upvote 1

The key phrase here is "we are a growing program". The pass protection was inadequate no matter who the QB is but the DBs are the major holdup to this program. Starting to look like a next year kinda year.

Discussed it a little?  I'm wondering if we were sold a bit of a bill of goods with Bubba by the Good Old Boys.  Not impressed with where we are at or how we manage games - everything from turnovers, special teams (receiving and coverage) to playcalling to the putrid fake punt.  Not assignment sharp at all.  It's one thing to get beat because of talent, but another to get beat because we lack fundamentals.  

i'd say it's a little early to start going down that road. I'm not the type of guy who thinks every new coach should get to clear the previous guy's recruits out before you can judge him but we are way too early in the regime to start talking about that kind of stuff

• Upvote 3

The key phrase here is "we are a growing program". The pass protection was inadequate no matter who the QB is but the DBs are the major holdup to this program. Starting to look like a next year kinda year.

To my recollection there were zero sacks or even forced rushes on the UM qb. Can't put this disaster all on the defensive backs. Having said that I noticed that too often our DB's were not looking back toward the ball when the Montana WR's turned to look, which would be a fundamentals problem.

Edited by TBR

i'd say it's a little early to start going down that road. I'm not the type of guy who thinks every new coach should get to clear the previous guy's recruits out before you can judge him but we are way too early in the regime to start talking about that kind of stuff

Not saying fire Bubba or anything like it, but I think it is reasonable to criticize the type of game we played today and put some of that on the coaches - Even with our talent gap, this is a pretty far cry from what we were given to understand Bubba Ball would be.  In my opinion not assignment sharp, poor play calling, the fumbles, the previous 4th quarter meltdowns - Sure Bubba should get more time to get his guys in place, but in my opinion Sioux fans have a huge tolerance for poor football.    

• Upvote 1

There is nothing wrong with Mollberg, his family physician told me yesterday that he is healthy and ready to go.The irony is that, arguably, the most athletic quarterback on the team sits on the bench. I don't think they're mad at him, he's a terrific young man who hasn't complained a bit. It could be his style is geared more toward a wide open passing game instead of the conservative offense that Bubba wants.

There is nothing wrong with Mollberg, his family physician told me yesterday that he is healthy and ready to go.The irony is that, arguably, the most athletic quarterback on the team sits on the bench. I don't think they're mad at him, he's a terrific young man who hasn't complained a bit. It could be his style is geared more toward a wide open passing game instead of the conservative offense that Bubba wants.

I 100% believe this and think it is all the more reason Bubba deserves some heat for today's fiasco.  It is unbelievable that a good, hardworking kid who gave us great QB play right before he was hurt is not given any chance to play no matter what happens on the field.  Bubba is looking a bit like a square peg round hole guy.   

Just a bit of HIPAA violation if a physician is telling people the condition of his patients.

I don't mean to discount your post, but talking about patients is a big no-no! I hope this physician learns to have more discretion in the future...

• Upvote 2

You are right, the most athletic qb is on the bench....injured, but it's not Joe Mollberg. Studsrud is our most athletic qb and fits the offense they are trying to run. I've got nothing against Joe, it's time for him to be given a chance based on Bartels play, but to say he's the most athletic qb is inaccurate. 

Also, not sure Joe's family doctor should be talking about his health. Some of this talk on Mollberg just doesn't seem accurate. 

• Upvote 1

1) The dr didn't give me, and I didn't repeat, any info that hadn't been made public already.

2). Instead of calling him the most athletic quarterback I said he is arguably the most athletic.He has a better arm than Studsrud and has better touch.  He also is better on his feet than Bartels.

Not much to say, and at this point its just piling on.

New big picture question though, I'm not sure how valuable it is in this league to hang your hat on stopping the run.  Most teams will gladly cut your throat through the air.

I think the idea is make your opponent one dimensional. We took pride in stopping the run, but the rushing numbers are getting a bit deceiving when your giving up 400+ through the air. The 3-4 system will work for us if we recruit athletic linebackers who can put pressure on the qb and cover the shorter passing game.  We also need to recruit lengthy/fast defensive backs who are technically sharp. We are not winning any 1 on 1 battles and it's killing us on big play after big play.

This is a good point though as to what Bubba Ball is-run the ball on O and stop the run on D, but in today's game, the rest of the league is a pass first O and stopping the run is great but if you can't stop the pass EVER, what difference does it make to stop run?

As for QB, I read Tom Miller's article today and he loves Studsrud to the point of making a note of his absence in the last two weeks as though that's why we lost. In my mind, he may be the "best fit" for this O, but he is still not a great college QB and I'd love to see what Mollberg can do. I think some of it does come down to "going with the guy you recruited" as an affirmation of your program building skills. GIVE MOLLBERG A CHANCE!

• Downvote 1