SiouxSports.com Forum

Portland State Predictions

darell1976

For some, step away from the ledge (in regards to UND being overrated and going nowhere). I understand where your concerns come from, but NDSU has badly beat many FCS teams in the Fargodome over the past few years that have gone on to winning seasons (2012 Youngstown State, 2012 Illinois State, 2014 South Dakota State, 2014 Youngstown State, etc.). NDSU has a very good home-field advantage and they have a very good football team. UND can still do very well this season despite their lone loss to NDSU.

Against Portland State, I'm hoping the offense can continue their success running the football with Santiago and Smith (maybe even Olivera), and Studsrud can improve in the passing game. For a win, UND's defense needs to shut down the option run attack of Portland State and force a turnover or two. 

Especially when you bomb out on your game plan and have no plan B and can't make adjustments offensively.  #still dumbfounded by our offense that game

It would be really sweet to be 4-1 with NDSU 2-2 after Saturday.

• Upvote 2

I guess I was more concerned with our play against Drake than ndsu.  Hopefully it was a one-off.  The team's play against UC Davis wasn't great either, but at least we could run the ball again.

I understand we checked-out against Drake and eased up too soon, a week before playing NDSU, that part makes sense.  My concern is we can't find a way to have at least a little success against top tier opponents.  I am calling 150-200 yards a little success, and 64 yards.........well, that just sucks-

I understand we checked-out against Drake and eased up too soon, a week before playing NDSU, that part makes sense.  My concern is we can't find a way to have at least a little success against top tier opponents.  I am calling 150-200 yards a little success, and 64 yards.........well, that just sucks-

It wasn't even letting Drake make the score close in the second half that scared me, we couldn't run the ball in the first half either.  As for passing offense, based on the body of work, I'd say Studsrud throwing 3 TDs in the first half against Drake was more of a fluke than doing very little in the 10 quarters since then.  I hope he and the offense prove me wrong.

Offense needs more talent and that talent will come with time. The fastest players on the offense are Santiago, Smith, and Georges. Two of those three are true freshmen and the other is injured. Santiago has improved already with his vision, and both Santiago and Smith will improve leaps and bounds over the next year. Also, the hope is Georges can make some plays downfield when he returns. 

With that said, the system (a.k.a. Coach Rudolph) needs to better utilize the offensive players' skills. Just last week I finally saw that with Smith taking jet sweep hand-offs and also faking that action, which allowed for both Santiago and Studsrud to find open gaps inside. Would also like to see some bubble screens, hot smoke routes, etc. to these players out in space. This is necessary to open up the middle of the defense for the power running game.

Did Oliveira get a snap last week? I don't recall seeing him on the field. My biggest pet peeve with college football is pulling redshirts and not using them. Anyways, with these three freshman RBs we may have our own little Earth, Wind and Fire like the Giants had back a few years ago with Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, and Ahmad Bradshaw.

Edited by sioux24/7

We win 13-10

We have 165 yds rushing And 190 yds passing   we are up two in turnovers. Our d gets two interceptions and forces and recovers a Portland fumble to stop a drive within the five yard line

The sun comes up Sunday morning

TWO interception????!!!!! Wow!  When was the last time that happened?

Offense needs more talent and that talent will come with time. The fastest players on the offense are Santiago, Smith, and Georges. Two of those three are true freshmen and the other is injured. Santiago has improved already with his vision, and both Santiago and Smith will improve leaps and bounds over the next year. Also, the hope is Georges can make some plays downfield when he returns. 

With that said, the system (a.k.a. Coach Rudolph) needs to better utilize the offensive players' skills. Just last week I finally saw that with Smith taking jet sweep hand-offs and also faking that action, which allowed for both Santiago and Studsrud to find open gaps inside. Would also like to see some bubble screens, hot smoke routes, etc. to these players out in space. This is necessary to open up the middle of the defense for the power running game.

We need to show capable of utilizing talent or those with talent won't bother coming to UND.

I totally agree with the rest of your post.

Within the past couple days I have gone from thinking UND will get Crushed to thinking PSU will get crushed.  Right now I think it's 50/50 odds.  I don't know who will win, but I actually think it will be a 10+ point victory by the winning team, because one of these teams is likely a paper tiger.  

This Tuesday I wagered $50 on UND when the line was at +9.

For some, step away from the ledge (in regards to UND being overrated and going nowhere). I understand where your concerns come from, but NDSU has badly beat many FCS teams in the Fargodome over the past few years that have gone on to winning seasons (2012 Youngstown State, 2012 Illinois State, 2014 South Dakota State, 2014 Youngstown State, etc.). NDSU has a very good home-field advantage and they have a very good football team. UND can still do very well this season despite their lone loss to NDSU.

Against Portland State, I'm hoping the offense can continue their success running the football with Santiago and Smith (maybe even Olivera), and Studsrud can improve in the passing game. For a win, UND's defense needs to shut down the option run attack of Portland State and force a turnover or two. 

Agree +1000

Yeah, I get it. But I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan. eternal over-optimism is an epidemic, just trying to keep my expectations from getting out of hand ???

Where were you able to bet on it?

5 dimes.  Don't think I'll ever take money out of my account though, because I don't know how, and I'm afraid to get caught.  Do it mostly for the entertainment value, but only when there are decent odds.  

Started with $250 last fall and and am up to about $560.  Betting mostly on FCS football and College hockey.  

Edited by nodak651

24 - 17 PSU  I'm in Cancun so won't be watching the game,  but I hope our offense plays well.....if the do we can certainly win. I'm hoping Studs plays really well to quite the doubters as well so that we can feel confident in our QB going into games.