SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Hmnnn...you had me hooked for a minute and then all of a sudden, you lost me. Just kidding, absolutely GREAT post, including the part I cut out.

I'll offer up another tyoe of fan, though: one who spent 22 years as a born-and-raised native North Dakotan who just recently hit the tipping point of having now spent the majority of his life as a resident of somewhere else. To this day, when people ask me where I'm from, the answer is still "North Dakota...but I live in Wisconsin now." 

You moved to Wisconsin?

Hmnnn...you had me hooked for a minute and then all of a sudden, you lost me. Just kidding, absolutely GREAT post, including the part I cut out.

I'll offer up another tyoe of fan, though: one who spent 22 years as a born-and-raised native North Dakotan who just recently hit the tipping point of having now spent the majority of his life as a resident of somewhere else. To this day, when people ask me where I'm from, the answer is still "North Dakota...but I live in Wisconsin now."

Ditto here.

Lived in Colorado now longer than North Dakota...but when asked, "I'm from North Dakota, but I live in Colorado."

• Upvote 1

If I throw a rock across the St Croix River, it'll land in Minnesota.

OK, not quite THAT close, but 15 minutes from Stillwater.

I'd like to see you throw a rock across the St. Croix! Dude, I'd be your agent and we'd be talking to the Twins! LOL

Jim nailed it with his blog post today.  Do we really want to go from an original, regional name that we were all proud of to a generic name that is the trend for schools changing their contrversial native american nickname? 

Thanks, I started writing that just wanting to call broader attention to the point about how ex-Indian mascot teams always get steered into ____Hawks. Then I found myself re-editing it because I was worried that I would be perceived as endorsing, or slamming, the name, while I actually find it just acceptable.

That's when I realized that Fighting Hawks might win because it's safe rather than loved. It's been so under the radar and is so generic that it has generated no controversy. It's not clear that a name that generates no passion is what I want (at a minimum, it's very different from what we're accustomed to with Fighting Sioux!)

Now I'm worried that Fighting Hawks is more suited for a lesser institution than the state's namesake university. I'm even starting to wonder if, in the long run, I'd prefer any of the bolder names (even those I dislike), because they'd eventually become uniquely associated with UND athletics given their uniqueness and strong ties to the region.

Shameless plug in case anyone missed it, the post: 

Fighting Hawks – the safe, unimaginative, generic, dark horse nickname that finds itself a front runner

If anyone thinks Kelley won't make the benign safe blah pick on his way out...try again.

Fighting Hawks is "trending" as you Twitter guys would say......but MM has no clue what that means.

I'm sorry but I just can't get enthused about Roughriders.    Way too much baggage with this one.   First off, we would be stealing it from RR.   I know, it's been discussed a million times, but that doesn't change anything.   They had it first.

Next, it's the name of a ficking condom.     I suppose we could be the Ribbed Roughriders, or the Lubed Roughriders, it would fit.

I'm not crazy about some of the other names either, but my first two choices would be North Stars or Fighting Hawks.

I'll reluctantly support what ever is picked, but we clearly have much better choices than 'riders.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry but I just can't get enthused about Roughriders.    Way too much baggage with this one.   First off, we would be stealing it from RR.   I know, it's been discussed a million times, but that doesn't change anything.   They had it first.

Next, it's the name of a ficking condom.     I suppose we could be the Ribbed Roughriders, or the Lubed Roughriders, it would fit.

I'm not crazy about some of the other names either, but my first two choices would be North Stars or Fighting Hawks.

I'll reluctantly support what ever is picked, but we clearly have much better choices than 'riders.

North Stars already taken by a team in town.
  • Upvote 1

And Red River stole it from North Dakota, who stole it from Teddy, who gained his heart here.

A flagship is supposed to steal from their state's nickname, otherwise it's not a flagship.

Maybe you want to rename North Dakota as the Fighting Hawk state. At least you'd be logical then.

• Upvote 1

So now it's mandatory that the flagship university in each state must use the official state nickname as its school nickname?

It's not mandatory, but logical and reinforce each other. Otherwise everybody would be Bulldogs (Ga), Tigers (Mo, LSU), and Hawks/Eagles or one of their variances, which are very lame.

• Upvote 1

It's not mandatory, but logical and reinforce each other. Otherwise everybody would be Bulldogs (Ga), Tigers (Mo, LSU), and Hawks/Eagles or one of their variances, which are very lame.

Interesting comparison, because if Georgia, Mizzou, and LSU all decided tomorrow to get rid of their respective Bulldogs and Tigers nicknames, there would be rioting in the streets of Athens, Columbia, and Baton Rouge.

• Upvote 1

The last time I checked, less than 50% of the states had flagship schools using the state nickname as the school nickname.
  • Upvote 1

Anyone who has ever lived knows that beaver has an alternate meaning so it is wonder how Oregon State has survived all these years. 

True.   Although i'd argue  Oregon State's Beavers were actually from Oregon. (they weren't beavers that a New York politician recruited from the states of Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.)

:p

The last time I checked, less than 50% of the states had flagship schools using the state nickname as the school nickname.

To be fair, 50% is really high. There's no question the state nicknames are somewhat associated with the state in a way that some of the other options aren't.

Interesting comparison, because if Georgia, Mizzou, and LSU all decided tomorrow to get rid of their respective Bulldogs and Tigers nicknames, there would be rioting in the streets of Athens, Columbia, and Baton Rouge.

So if we don't choose Fighting Hawks there will rioting in the streets of GF? Is that your point?