SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote - which of the final fifteen?

jimdahl

The Final Fifteen poll  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What could you live with? (check more than one)

• Blaze
    • Cavalry
    • Explorers
    • Fighting Green
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Force
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Pride
    • Roughriders
    • Spirit
    • Sundogs
    • Thunderhawks

Indiana-The Hoosier State-The University of Indiana Hoosiers

Iowa-The Hawkeye State-The University of Iowa Hawkeyes

Michigan-The Wolverine State-The University of Michigan Wolverines

Nebraska-The Cornhusker State-The University of Nebraska Cornhuskers

North Carolina-The Tarheel State-The University of North Carolina Tarheels

Ohio-The Buckeye State-The Ohio State Buckeye's

Oklahoma-The Sooner State-The University of Oklahoma Sooners

Oregon-The Beaver State-The University of Oregon State Beavers

Tennesse-The Volunteer State-The University of Tennessee Volunteers

Wisconsin-The Badger State-The University of Wisconsin Badgers

Wyoming-The Cowboy State-The University of Wyoming Cowboys

I didn't include all of the unofficial nicknames such as Minnesota being the North Star State, Gopher State, or South Dakota being the Coyote State, but here's a good list.  Many state nicknames are the same as their university nicknames:

http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/st_nicks.htm

North Dakota official and unofficial nicknames:

Peace Garden State-Peaceniks?-no thanks

Sioux State- Tried and was taken away from us.

Flickertail State-Former nickname, no longer popular with the majority.

Roughrider State- Sign me up

And has been stated before...

http://governor.nd.gov/theodore-roosevelt-rough-rider-award

• Upvote 1

The anger in me likes Cavalry.

But I still favor Roughriders.

"The University of North Dakota is the home of the Roughriders. UND chose the name Roughriders in 2015 to honor the brave men and women who serve in our military. They epitomize honor, courage, pride, overcoming adversity and winning battles. Please use good sportsmanship tonight as you cheer them on to victory."

Perfect.

Your last "yes", to "By not selecting a new name and being "North Dakota" UND can still unofficially be known as the Fighting Sioux?" is my concern.

I believe (opinion alert) that the NCAA will come back at UND with the word "new" from the settlement agreement and say "nothing" is not "new" and stick it to us ... again. I'm not willing to go down this fiasco path again.

I doubt it.

• Upvote 1

The anger in me likes Cavalry.   

But I still favor Roughriders.

"The University of North Dakota is the home of the Roughriders.  UND chose the name Roughriders in 2015 to honor the brave men and women who serve in our military.  They epitomize honor, courage, pride, overcoming adversity and winning battles.  Please use good sportsmanship tonight as you cheer them on to victory."

I'm on the same page with you

• Upvote 1

How we wish it would be vs. how it will likely be:

"The University of North Dakota is the home of the Pride/Spirit/Sundogs. UND chose the name Pride/Spirit/Sundogs in 2015 to honor the diversity of our community. It epitomizes openness, tolerance, acceptance, inclusiveness, peace, and harmony. Please use good sportspersonship tonight as you cheer our team on in friendly competition, which hopefully results in a tie so no one's feelings get hurt and we can share a big group hug with our opponents' fans after the event concludes. Thank you."

This is outstanding satire.   I hope it stays that way.

• Upvote 1

"The University of North Dakota is the home of the Pride/Spirit/Sundogs. UND chose the name Pride/Spirit/Sundogs in 2015 to honor the diversity of our community. It epitomizes openness, tolerance, acceptance, inclusiveness, peace, and harmony. Please use good sportspersonship tonight as you cheer our team on in friendly competition, which hopefully results in a tie so no one's feelings get hurt and we can share a big group hug with our opponents' fans after the event concludes. Thank you."

Very, very well done....   and quite possibly sad but true.   augh

Kelley himself would not have said that just "North Dakota" is an option if it violated the surrender agreement.  It does not violate the surrender agreement.  The controversy addressed by the litigation and resolved via the surrender agreement was having a NA nickname that violated the NCAA policy against having offensive NA nicknames.  The directive was to transition to a new nickname that does not violate the policy.  Not having a nickname does not implicate or violate the policy. The policy and the surrender agreement concerning the policy are irrelevant.  There was no mandate against not having a nickname in the surrender agreement.  The reason behind this was that this was not the controversy being addressed.  For nearly 8 years, there's been no amendment to the surrender agreement addressing this.  Why?  See above.  There was an amendment concerning the imagery at The Ralph.  Why?  See above.  The "cooling off period" was passed into law by the ND Legislature.  Why? See above.  The NCAA did not object to the "cooling off period" even now, after it has passed.  Why? See above.  If you think that the NCAA was motivated by what the state of North Dakota, UND, alumni, fan base, etc. had all been put through, you're dead wrong.  The NCAA has not objected to (it in fact agreed to it, at least implicitly) the sale of "Fighting Sioux" material for years now so the whole argument that the NCAA would sanction us for just being "North Dakota" because we'd be perpetuating and supporting the old nickname and logo is without merit.  If this is a concern at all, the NCAA has certainly been complicit in exacerbating and perpetuating the racism it sought to prevent. 

If you want to tender the argument that we should have a new nickname and logo because the NCAA Executive Committee could change the rules and indicate that it will sanction any school that doesn't have a nickname and logo, fine.  The argument that the surrender agreement prohibits just having "North Dakota" is just wrong.   

• Upvote 3

All hail Mafia! This is so true. It is the direction of this situation, the country and world. Nobody can have hurt feelings, everybody gets a trophy, nobody loses and everybody wins (except for those with opposing view). All view matter, unless they are not PC.

Scary stuff, and a mentality I will definitely not use to raise my children. Go out, play the game, play hard, if you lose, you work hard and try again.

So sick of this liberal, PC bull.

Spot on Mafia.

Kelley himself would not have said that just "North Dakota" is an option if it violated the surrender agreement. It does not violate the surrender agreement. The controversy addressed by the litigation and resolved via the surrender agreement was having a NA nickname that violated the NCAA policy against having offensive NA nicknames. The directive was to transition to a new nickname that does not violate the policy. Not having a nickname does not implicate or violate the policy. The policy and the surrender agreement concerning the policy are irrelevant. There was no mandate against not having a nickname in the surrender agreement. The reason behind this was that this was not the controversy being addressed. For nearly 8 years, there's been no amendment to the surrender agreement addressing this. Why? See above. There was an amendment concerning the imagery at The Ralph. Why? See above. The "cooling off period" was passed into law by the ND Legislature. Why? See above. The NCAA did not object to the "cooling off period" even now, after it has passed. Why? See above. If you think that the NCAA was motivated by what the state of North Dakota, UND, alumni, fan base, etc. had all been put through, you're dead wrong. The NCAA has not objected to (it in fact agreed to it, at least implicitly) the sale of "Fighting Sioux" material for years now so the whole argument that the NCAA would sanction us for just being "North Dakota" because we'd be perpetuating and supporting the old nickname and logo is without merit. If this is a concern at all, the NCAA has certainly been complicit in exacerbating and perpetuating the racism it sought to prevent.

If you want to tender the argument that we should have a new nickname and logo because the NCAA Executive Committee could change the rules and indicate that it will sanction any school that doesn't have a nickname and logo, fine. The argument that the surrender agreement prohibits just having "North Dakota" is just wrong.

YEA!! What he said!

Of the remaining 15 I have divided them into 3 groups.

No bleepin way:

15. Sundogs

14. Spirit

13. Pride

12. Force 

11. Blaze

So-So

10. Fighting Green

9. Green Hawks

8. Fighting  Hawks

7. Thunder Hawks

6. Calvary 

Favorites:

5. Nodaks

4. Explorers

3. North Dakota

2. North Stars

1. Rough Riders

Go win any in 1-6 and I'll be alright.  7 and 8 will need a killer looking logo to make it work.  9 will need the best logo in NCAA to stomach...

10-15... NO

The committee who picked these names should be tarred and feathered. None of them show any respect to the former name except for maybe the Fighting Green or Spirit. The Calvary? Really. What a slap in the face to the Sioux Nation. North Stars? Minnesota is known as the North Star state yet it makes the final 15. Who are these people?

All hail Mafia! This is so true. It is the direction of this situation, the country and world. Nobody can have hurt feelings, everybody gets a trophy, nobody loses and everybody wins (except for those with opposing view). All view matter, unless they are not PC.

Scary stuff, and a mentality I will definitely not use to raise my children. Go out, play the game, play hard, if you lose, you work hard and try again.

So sick of this liberal, PC bull.

Spot on Mafia.

Not that I like to toot my own horn, but "sportspersonship" as opposed to "sportsmanship" made me crack myself up.

Ok what's with "manderpigs"!!! Would they ever think to stop giving anti UND fans a platform?!! My word!! Almost as bad as letting these losers vote and give name entries!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/3764525-sound-do-you-any-final-15-und-nickname-choices

Manbearpig is from the show South Park. It's half man half bear and half pig. Al Gore is trying to destroy it (global warming parody).

Of the remaining 15 I have divided them into 3 groups.

No bleepin way:

15. Sundogs

14. Spirit

13. Pride

12. Force 

11. Blaze

So-So

10. Fighting Green

9. Green Hawks

8. Fighting  Hawks

7. Thunder Hawks

6. Calvary 

Favorites:

5. Nodaks

4. Explorers

3. North Dakota

2. North Stars

1. Rough Riders

Go win any in 1-6 and I'll be alright.  7 and 8 will need a killer looking logo to make it work.  9 will need the best logo in NCAA to stomach...

10-15... NO

I agree with most of your list, except I don't really like Explorers and Nodaks. I would have the following:

1. Roughriders or North Stars

3. Cavalry

4. Fighting Hawks

5. Green Hawks

I'm pretty lukewarm on the Hawks' names, but the 1st 3 (Roughriders, North Stars and Cavalry) are pretty good.

I really don't want just North Dakota because it is very lame to not have a nickname and no logo and the current merchandise is horrible (hence the reason I will not buy anything right now). The only way I would take North Dakota is if it was between that name and the following: Pride, Sundogs, Spirit, Flames and Force. Those options are absolutely terrible for the reasons expressed by virtually every other poster.

I'm changing....love that first one! Wow, if they want to sell these to people they need to show possible logos.

That was the logo I wanted for nokota. Really cool logo, I like the teddy one too.

Logos will definitely help sell a new name.

This is another reason besides all the other stuff why picking a name is good. The potential with a Cavalry or Roughriders logo is great. Just using those ones from Cedar Rapids as examples UND could go a couple different ways and even have a great primary logo and a great secondary logo. Like I mentioned maybe one with a cool looking horse and another with Teddy R or a soldier. What American can't get behind Teddy R or a soldier? Besides that we'd still have the interlocking ND as our third logo.

At the other end of things with just North Dakota we have the interlocking ND logo we can use as our 1st, 2nd and 3rd logos. They can update another one along the way, but really what are our options logo wise with just North Dakota? If we have Roughriders or Cavalry we still have the interlocking ND and will also potentially get 1-2 more really cool logos to have with lots of potential for updating every 10-15 years. Think about the Sioux logo, that was updated every 10-15 years. How many variations of the interlocking ND are we going to update over the next 50 years? Not a lot of ways you can go with just North Dakota that excite me logo wise. Another reason why this process will probably happen again if a name isn't chosen.

• Upvote 1