SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote - which of the final fifteen?

jimdahl

The Final Fifteen poll  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What could you live with? (check more than one)

• Blaze
    • Cavalry
    • Explorers
    • Fighting Green
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Force
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Pride
    • Roughriders
    • Spirit
    • Sundogs
    • Thunderhawks

I completely agree with this statement. Way worse choosing a name that was a neighboring states pro team than a local high school team. BTW for those that don't know North Stars is the name of the high school in Cando for those worrying about high school names.

Anyways my point was just to show it's pretty obvious to me there are 2-3 names that fans seem to like above the rest and I would rather the committee put those for final vote than ones people don't like at all.

Look at the numbers. Just North Dakota and Roughriders account for 44% of the vote on the SS poll and 40% on the herald poll. When North Stars gets added in it jumps to 53% and 54% respectively. 130 people voted in the SS poll and around 7700 in the herald one, and the ss people are probably UNDs biggest fans. The herald poll is a big chunk of UND fans too. Pretty big difference compared to the rest.

To me those are numbers that shouldn't be ignored whether I like any of those names or not. That's a big enough number for just ND and Roughriders were I think the committee might have to explain to people why either of those isn't in the final 3 if their not.

Pretty obvious my personal preference of those 3 is Roughriders, but regardless I would rather the committee give people choices they want rather than Spirit, Sundogs, and Pride. If Spirit Pride and Sundogs were those top 3 I would say the same about them but they are obviously not. The committee and the marketing research company should notice these things.

I look at the vote a little differently, but get the same impression...

Using the ss vote:

Roughriders 82 out of 136 voters = 60%

North Dakota 69 = 50%

Cavalry 58 = 43%

North Stars 36 = 29%

Hawks (combined total) 40 = 29%

Nothing else over a couple straggler votes

So all the people that voted for "North Dakota", what are your reasons? 

-  The other 14 names aren't good enough?

-  No name can ever replace Fighting Sioux?

-  It is unique to be the only school to be without a nickname?

-  Want to stick it to the NCAA for dropping our old name by not selecting a new one?

-  By not selecting a new name and being "North Dakota" UND can still unofficially be known as the Fighting Sioux?

Or are there other reasons out there. 

If no nickname wins... the de facto nickname remains Fighting Sioux. I do not believe that is within the spirit of the agreement. I don't think UND should take that chance.

I also hate using the word, "spirit".

Under the process that's been defined I'm fearful we will end up with the least desirable name of the three.  

-  Want to stick it to the NCAA for dropping our old name by not selecting a new one?

-  By not selecting a new name and being "North Dakota" UND can still unofficially be known as the Fighting Sioux?

Or are there other reasons out there."

For all of the above reasons we do not want "North Dakota" to be included in the final vote. It is time to move on. We do not want to be a school without basically having a nickname. For the most part the main reason to just use North Dakota would be to say we are unofficially still the Sioux. It is definitely time to move on.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Or are there other reasons out there. 

I think this has been answered multiple times ... Roughriders and Cavalry are simply ok ... but for the most part, you first bullet point hits dead on. The list is basically garbage.

Using the ss vote:

North Dakota 69 = 50%

Cavalry 58 = 43%

North Stars 36 = 29%

Since the consultant seems to know what is right, I am sure we will see some variation of "Hawks" in the final vote because as someone said there isn't any possibility of controversy, except for Thunderhawks.   How lame would it be to be spoon fed another generic name, as the other schools in the same situation did with all the bird and color names.   Despite the criteria set forth, I am guessing they will ignore it and put this generic option before us for a final vote.  

I think this has been answered multiple times ... Roughriders and Cavalry are simply ok ... but for the most part, you first bullet point hits dead on. The list is basically garbage.

You do realize you were in the minority on thinking Flickertails was a suitable name, while many thought that was garbage. 

If I was guaranteed our top 3 were: North Dakota, Roughriders and Cavalry ... I wouldn't be as nervous. I don't love them all, but I could probably live with them.

What if our top 3 is Explorers, Spirit and Sundogs?!?!? Not so good :(

• Upvote 2

You do realize you were in the minority on thinking Flickertails was a suitable name, while many thought that was garbage. 

Flickertails was far from my "choice". Way more suitable than spirit or sun dogs, and I do not believe I am in the majority with that statement.

I like "Nodaks" because it can be associated with the sioux imagery that already adorns the REA. I don't think any of the other names can be seen this way. North Dakota works with it but I think it's unwise to not have a real nickname because the media will always use it's own (i.e. Green and White). I also think it should be "Nodak" without the "s".

Using the ss vote:

North Dakota 69 = 50%

Cavalry 58 = 43%

North Stars 36 = 29%

Sorry, I'm surfing while trying to work...

What I am trying to say here is that Roughriders is a choice of a majority of voters on ss.com. North Dakota is acceptable to half of the voters. Nothing else gets support from half of the people who voted, even if they can vote for more than 1 name (Cavalry, North Stars, or even if you give the Hawks the benefit of doubt over a split vote).

Personally, I don't really care if the NCAA will allow North Dakota or not. I just think a nickname should be chosen or, as many have already said, we will be going down this road again soon. Whether in 5 or 10 years doesn't matter. It's been a struggle for too many years already.

I like "Nodaks" because it can be associated with the sioux imagery that already adorns the REA. I don't think any of the other names can be seen this way. North Dakota works with it but I think it's unwise to not have a real nickname because the media will always use it's own (i.e. Green and White). I also think it should be "Nodak" without the "s".

This would be a legitimate compromise to needing a new nickname and having no nickname.

Tim Miller tweeted the other day that no one yet has asked if just "North Dakota" is an option. Seriously?? You are a sports reporter for the Herald?!! YOU ask the question. To Kelley, Goehring, Faison, whoever!! The question needs to be asked if UND officials and the committee have asked the NCAA if being just "North Dakota" with no nickname is allowed. IMO it directly violates the settlement agreement. I have yet to year Goehring or anyone in the nickname committee say "We checked with the NCAA and they said being just North Dakota is fine." YOu would think that at some point before a vote, UND submits all the names left and asks the NCAA if the names are permissable.

Am I being to logical here?!!

Kelly himself said "just North Dakota is still an option" any of you guys that know more than they do, have any idea why Kelly would say this if it would violate the NCAA?

• Upvote 1

If the committee does not put North Dakota in the top three, they should definitely use this.

Kelly himself said "just North Dakota is still an option" any of you guys that know more than they do, have any idea why Kelly would say this if it would violate the NCAA?

Because everyone on here thinks they are a lawyer and better connected than the people actually working for the university.

• Upvote 2

I meant to include this

Nodak Nation is pretty cool

For all of the above reasons we do not want "North Dakota" to be included in the final vote. It is time to move on. We do not want to be a school without basically having a nickname. For the most part the main reason to just use North Dakota would be to say we are unofficially still the Sioux. It is definitely time to move on.

YOU do not want UND to be a school without a nickname - please refrain from speaking for me or others that think otherwise.

Not specifically referring to you, but some seem to be arguing that it is just a nickname - pick one and be done with it - these seem to be some of the same people that are saying that UND MUST have a nickname.  If the nickname itself isn't important, how can having one at all be important - seems like talking out of both sides of one's mouth.

• Upvote 1

I say go with roughriders and have Ben Brien draw up the logo

I'm on board.  There are about 10-12 thousand Red River HS and alumni and another 20,000 or so GF residents that get bent out of shape, the rest of the country could care less.  It's unique and North Dakotan, let's roll with it. 

• Upvote 3

I am all in for using Roughriders. It definitely would represent the state of North Dakota far better than any other name suggested. It could be very colorful. I think it would offer a lot to work with for marketing.

To me, "NoDaks" comes off as lazy. Like we weren't able to come up with anything else so we shortened our state name. If we go with Nodaks, what will our logo be? A farmer? A Scandinavian looking person? A Native American?

Anyone think the South Dakota sodaks is a good name? Or the Montana Tanas or Montes or montanans? Or Minnesota Minnie's? I think you get the drift...

• Upvote 1