SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote - which of the final fifteen?

jimdahl

The Final Fifteen poll  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What could you live with? (check more than one)

• Blaze
    • Cavalry
    • Explorers
    • Fighting Green
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Force
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Pride
    • Roughriders
    • Spirit
    • Sundogs
    • Thunderhawks

Having Brien design the logo is an awesome idea. There is one I've seen that the Cedar Rapids Roughriders used that actually comes close to the Sioux logo imo. Give him that to work off of and let him do his thing. I'm to lazy to look that logo up right now, but if someone else has it feel free to post.

Brien should do the logo regardless of the nickname chosen. He obviously does nice work.

Having Brien design the logo is an awesome idea. There is one I've seen that the Cedar Rapids Roughriders used that actually comes close to the Sioux logo imo. Give him that to work off of and let him do his thing. I'm to lazy to look that logo up right now, but if someone else has it feel free to post.

Brien should do the logo regardless of the nickname chosen. He obviously does nice work.

Looks like they've got a few logos:

roughriders-hocky-club-logo-1192015.png

3101_cedar_rapids__roughriders-alternate

ba18b7c9de59ae43.jpg

6068_cedar_rapids__roughriders-event-201

There it is, the Teddy R one, although I like the horse one without the stick too. I think you could go a lot of different ways on a logo with that name. Maybe one main one with Teddy R like that and a secondary logo with a bad ass horse. All while keeping the interlocking ND too. I'd buy merchandise with either of those logos though.

There it is, the Teddy R one, although I like the horse one without the stick too. I think you could go a lot of different ways on a logo with that name. Maybe one main one with Teddy R like that and a secondary logo with a bad ass horse. All while keeping the interlocking ND too. I'd buy merchandise with either of those logos though.

Agreed.  The logos might have a bit too much going on right now, but they could be cleaned up some.  I'd also suggest right now that if Roughriders is selected that we don't have "Lady Roughriders" for the women's teams.  It'll inevitably be shortened to Lady Riders by someone and then we'll have a big twitter deal on how sexist the school is.

• Upvote 1

I like "Nodaks" because it can be associated with the sioux imagery that already adorns the REA. I don't think any of the other names can be seen this way.

Au contraire. Native Americans were the original Roughriders. In fact, there's a Roughrider statue right outside the front of the Ralph.

A Roughrider is a skilled rider of little-trained horses, especially one who breaks horses for riding. That's where TR and his men got the name from.

• Upvote 1

To me, "NoDaks" comes off as lazy. Like we weren't able to come up with anything else so we shortened our state name. If we go with Nodaks, what will our logo be? A farmer? A Scandinavian looking person? A Native American?

Anyone think the South Dakota sodaks is a good name? Or the Montana Tanas or Montes or montanans? Or Minnesota Minnie's? I think you get the drift...

How about the University of Illinois Fighting Illini?

If UND decides to just stay "North Dakota" I give it 10-20 years before a group of students start advocating that the university adopt a nickname. I'm not against staying North Dakota, but I don't think it will last forever.

I'd say your estimate is 15-18 years high. I'd guess 2-5 years they'd start advocating. 

Au contraire. Native Americans were the original Roughriders. In fact, there's a Roughrider statue right outside the front of the Ralph.

A Roughrider is a skilled rider of little-trained horses, especially one who breaks horses for riding. That's where TR and his men got the name from.

I can live with Roughriders. This list has only 4 potential options on it, (Nodak, Roughriders, North Dakota and Cavalry a distant 4th). I just don't think North Dakota is a good choice, just feels boring and open to interpretation. I get why people want it but I don't think it's wise to make business decision based in spite. The others 11 choices are just plain dumb.

How about the University of Illinois Fighting Illini?

And what's their logo/mascot again?  Do we really want to go down that path with the NCAA again?  

Unless you have another idea for a logo mascot for a "Dakotan" or "Nodak?"

Edit:  Also an article about choosing a mascot vs. no mascot...

http://www.dailyillini.com/article/2014/04/a-new-mascot-is-better-than-no-mascot

Remove Sprit, Sundogs, Force, Blaze and Pride and I'll stomach the other 10.

Absolutely remove those, but I need about another 6 taken off of that list.

Seems like the majority conscensus is Roughriders, North Dakota, and Cavalry, which I am actually ok with.

North Stars has a surprising number of votes, and while I'd love to see the Minnesota Fans heads explode, I don't want to endure the well warranted ridicule that comes with using that name.

• Upvote 1

And what's their logo/mascot again?  Do we really want to go down that path with the NCAA again?  

Unless you have another idea for a logo mascot for a "Dakotan" or "Nodak?"

http://www.dailyillini.com/article/2014/04/a-new-mascot-is-better-than-no-mascot

They don't have a mascot, they dropped it in 2007.  Their logo is block-i.jpgthe letter I.  They have used variations of this as a logo or secondary logo for years.  They also used a Native American logo for many years, but have dropped it.  I wasn't advocating for Nodaks, I was just pointing out that there is a precedent for using a shortened version of the state name.  The interlocking ND could continue to serve as a logo, or another logo using the letters N and D could be created, or another logo could be designed with a farm or ranch theme or any other theme that relates to life in North Dakota.  Logo options would be pretty wide open.  I would consider Nodaks better than some on the list and worse than others, kind of the safe but boring option.

They don't have a mascot, they dropped it in 2007.  Their logo is block-i.jpgthe letter I.  They have used variations of this as a logo or secondary logo for years.  They also used a Native American logo for many years, but have dropped it.  I wasn't advocating for Nodaks, I was just pointing out that there is a precedent for using a shortened version of the state name.  The interlocking ND could continue to serve as a logo, or another logo using the letters N and D could be created, or another logo could be designed with a farm or ranch theme or any other theme that relates to life in North Dakota.  Logo options would be pretty wide open.  I would consider Nodaks better than some on the list and worse than others, kind of the safe but boring option.

I understand, which is why I also listed an article from someone associated with the U of I explaining why it's important to pick a mascot.  Illini obviously came from the native american tribe.  If there were no tribe named Illini, would Illinois have used the Illini as their nickname?  My guess would be no.  

No need to further argue this point as we are both somewhat on the same page.  Nodaks would be about 4th or 5th on my list.  Roughriders, Cavalry, No name, Nodaks/Explorers.

So all the people that voted for "North Dakota", what are your reasons? 

-  The other 14 names aren't good enough?

-  No name can ever replace Fighting Sioux?

-  It is unique to be the only school to be without a nickname?

-  Want to stick it to the NCAA for dropping our old name by not selecting a new one?

-  By not selecting a new name and being "North Dakota" UND can still unofficially be known as the Fighting Sioux?

Or are there other reasons out there.

Yes

Yes

No

No

Yes

That article has some phrases that need mention here: 

As a University, we must accept that < old mascot >  isn’t coming back. Opponents can do little to alter the motivation behind the decision to retire ..., regardless of how adamantly they argue or how plentiful they congregate.

What we can do, however, is move forward toward a universal form of representation we can collectively value ... 

Our T-shirts are marked with < letters >, and our sporting events are void of any figurehead. We don’t have a Brutus Buckeye or Herbie the Husker to dawn our apparel or pick us up when we’re down.

But our lack of mascot pervades clothing and sports.

Mascots symbolize togetherness. They’re depictions of the visions and values held by schools. Though students may come from different places and have different backgrounds and beliefs, mascots are something that everyone associated with a school can share.

In recent years, this unity is something we’ve lacked at the University, ...

And though adopting a new mascot won’t fix these issues immediately or entirely, it’s a great place to start.

Yes

Your last "yes", to "By not selecting a new name and being "North Dakota" UND can still unofficially be known as the Fighting Sioux?" is my concern. 

I believe (opinion alert) that the NCAA will come back at UND with the word "new" from the settlement agreement and say "nothing" is not "new" and stick it to us ... again. I'm not willing to go down this fiasco path again.