SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Sports Media

ringneck28

Did I see Dom Izzo post something about non media bloggers and contact with athletes?  Does UND have a possible problem with some bloggers that are not proper members of the media attending press conferences?  I would hate for there to be some penalties because of this.  

Did I see Dom Izzo post something about non media bloggers and contact with athletes?  Does UND have a possible problem with some bloggers that are not proper members of the media attending press conferences?  I would hate for there to be some penalties because of this.

Dom was referring to an issue at UW. The Badgers apparently have had to abandon some recruits because of some tampering by overzealous fans.

Did I see Dom Izzo post something about non media bloggers and contact with athletes? Does UND have a possible problem with some bloggers that are not proper members of the media attending press conferences? I would hate for there to be some penalties because of this.

Let's call it the Lakesbison rule.

That is the first person that came to mind for me. I know goon is a good guy, but he isn't a member of media.

I will let Goon defend himself, but I seem to remember that he has posted about being granted a press pass.

Personally, it's social media contacts that worry me.

Edit: I realized that it could be interpreted that I think Goon has been using social media inappropriately. I just meant social media in general.

Is that rule really necessary? Is the NCAA worried that much fanfare will equal gifts or recruiting when you aren't supposed to. In this day and age with FB and Twitter that rule needs an overhaul. And the for the record I have never tweeted or talked to any recruit, I may follow coaches on Twitter but would never "talk" to a recruit per NCAA rules.

I will let Goon defend himself, but I seem to remember that he has posted about being granted a press pass.

Edit: I realized that it could be interpreted that I think Goon has been using social media inappropriately. I just meant social media in general.

I believe that Goon does indeed have press credentials.

• Upvote 1

Is that rule really necessary? Is the NCAA worried that much fanfare will equal gifts or recruiting when you aren't supposed to. In this day and age with FB and Twitter that rule needs an overhaul. And the for the record I have never tweeted or talked to any recruit, I may follow coaches on Twitter but would never "talk" to a recruit per NCAA rules.

It is not hard to get that stuff taken care of.

Just to clarify. I haven't violated any rules involving recruits or current players. If I need to talk/interview a UND Hockey player, I go through the appropriate channels. And yes, I am a member of the web media. I am in good standing with the University of North Dakota, the WCHA and the NCHC. I write for two national hockey web sites. I have been credentialed for a Wild game, the Final Five (x4) and the NCHC (x2). I've had a press pass at UND for four seasons. I also attended the NCAA Regional as a member of the press. Finally, I also had a press pass for the Women's WCHA and the Pre-Olympic game at the Ralph two years ago.

If y'all have any question feel free to DM me or send me an email, and I would be glad to chat with you...My email address is thegoon48@gra.midco.net or Twitter @goon48. No, Dom wasn't talking about UND's press core and or the web media.

Just to clarify. I haven't violated any rules involving recruits or current players. If I need to talk/interview a UND Hockey player, I go through the appropriate channels. And yes, I am a member of the web media. I am in good standing with the University of North Dakota, the WCHA and the NCHC. I write for two national hockey web sites. I have been credentialed for a Wild game, the Final Five (x4) and the NCHC (x2). I've had a press pass at UND for four seasons. I also attended the NCAA Regional as a member of the press. Finally, I also had a press pass for the Women's WCHA and the Pre-Olympic game at the Ralph two years ago.

If y'all have any question feel free to DM me or send me an email, and I would be glad to chat with you...My email address is thegoon48@gra.midco.net or Twitter @goon48. No, Dom wasn't talking about UND's press core and or the web media.

Want a cookie ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for clarifying for us.  I stated earlier that I didn't think you were a member of the media.  I stand corrected.  Again, thanks for the explanation.   

Apparently you are unfamiliar with how the internet works in China. ;)  :ohmy:

We get lots of visitors from China. They're clearly very big fans, as they carefully view every inch of the site, often even trying to view pages that don't even exist. They're so interested in UND sports that they even try to connect directly to the database, I guess because they're so interested in hockey that they want to view the raw data.

Yup. In China, the internet is an all (attach to private college hockey websites) or nothing (banned western websites) venture. 

That, or U of Beijing is adding DI college hockey and looking to steal recruits. :D